Author Topic: *Completed*Bournemouth Newspaper and Cemetery lookups  (Read 5282 times)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
*Completed*Bournemouth Newspaper and Cemetery lookups
« on: Thursday 23 September 10 23:45 BST (UK) »
Dear listers

I am interested in finding out more about Eliza and Alfred COOTE who died in Bournemouth around the turn of the last century.

I have found that they are both buried in the Wimborne Road Cemetery (Grave No> H4/33S). Alfred was buried on the 19.8.1895 and Eliza on the 1.5.1901. From the City Council, I understand that there is a gravestone still standing on the plot.

I have two requests for help:

1. Could SKS please let me have a transcription (or better still, a photograph) of the headstone please?
2. Could someone have a look at the local paper and let me have an death notice or obituary for these people please?

I would really appreciate your help with this. As I live in Australia, it isn't something that I can easily do for myself.

Kind regards and thanks

Philip Candy

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bournemouth Newspaper and Cemetery lookups
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 September 10 14:48 BST (UK) »
hi found this dont know if this could be your alfred newspaper death notice coote on the 14th inst at boscombe bournemouth alfred w c coote aged 68 the death date would tie in with your burrial date of the nineteenth if this is him i can e.mail you a copy  hope this is him  cheers
                                       harrywrag

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 September 10 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hello harrywrag

Yes, that's certainly Alfred; his full name was Alfred William Churchill COOTE.

I'll send you my contact details by PM.

Many thanks for the lookup.

Best wishes

Phil

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil
I will have a look in Wimborne Road Cemetery - possibly on Thursday - and see what I can find. I have looked for someone there before, but I warn you it is a very confusing layout with no row markers. Last time I managed to find a workman who showed me where to look, but it seems to depend on finding a stone which has the reference marked on the rear and working from there. Interestingly, there are Cootes in my wife's family, but not locally.

Richard
Leicestershire - Yates, Wright, Pole, Blakesley
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers
Dorset/Southampton - Trodd

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard

That would be very welcome; thank you.

In fact these COOTEs only retired to Bournemouth. They spent most of their married lives in London, and before that, he came from Braintree in Essex. Would that be where your lot originated? Eliza was born in Bristol, but her family moved to Dublin when she was young, and it was from Ireland that she (and her sister) came back to London in the late 1840s, presumably to look for husbands.

Kind regards

Phil

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

My wife's name was Tilley, and Caroline Tilley who would have been a several times great aunt married Charles Coote who was born in Wandsworth in 1852 and by 1871 was living in Maidstone with his parents.

Richard
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard

Having a look at that 1871 entry, it appears that Charles COOTE's father was a miller, also named Charles COOTE, born in Brundish, Suffolk in about 1819.

So I guess the family roots lead back to Suffolk, rather than Essex.

Kind regards

Phil

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 October 10 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

I managed to get your photos yesterday before today's rain, which is currently ruining the Ryder Cup.
Wimborne Road Cemetery is very unhelpfully laid out; there are 7 plots (the 2nd digit in the grave no.), there is a path from east to west dividing the plots into north and south (the final digit), each plot then has 26 rows defined by letters (the 1st digit), and finally the grave number (the one, two or three digits following the /). To add to the confusion, the north plots are reversed from the south plots (eg plot 7N is to the north of plot 1S), there are no markers to show the end of one plot and the start of another, the rows are not marked, and finally there is a diagonal path from the chapel, which is in the centre of the east/west path, to the southern gate which crosses plots 4S and 5S at an angle dissecting many rows!
When I went before, the lady in the council's bereavement services had kindly e-mailed a map showing the general layout and position of the plots and which way the rows and numbers work. I had still spent over an hour searching (albeit I was in the right area) before I found a workman who showed me how to find a grave. Basically modern graves are mixed up with older ones - you have to find a modern grave, and its grave number is inscribed on the back of the stone. Then you can work your way along the rows and down the graves till you find it. Last time it turned out the grave I was seeking did not have a stone.
On this occasion, the row H in 4S was close to the chapel in the centre and it took only a couple of minutes to find it and the grave you are seeking. I have 4 pictures and was going to attach one, but the option doesn't seem to work for me today, so if you PM me with your e-mail, I'll send them.

Richard
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 October 10 04:53 BST (UK) »
Dear all

Many thanks for this extraordinary level of help.  I now have photos of the grave I was looking for, and along with newspaper notices, death certificates, Probate entries and other sources feel like I know these people much better and can imagine where they are now buried.  In case anyone is interested, there is a really fantastic 360 degree panoramic photo of the cemetery here, which means you can feel like you've been there, even when (like me) you live on the other side of the world: http://www.panoramicearth.com/2207/Bournemouth/Wimborne_Road_Cemetery

Many thanks to everyone for your fantastic help.

Kind regards

Phil Candy
Toowoomba, Australia