Author Topic: Mariner family  (Read 3801 times)

Offline ElizT

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mariner family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 March 18 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm trying to connect James Mariner who came to Australia about the 1850's to Magnus Mariner.  Family verbal stories say James was his son, along with William who lived on Tonga and at least another son who went to New Zealand.  James and his son Edward came to Victoria, Australia and at some point changed the spelling of their surname to Marriner, perhaps to create a separation between their name and occupation. Edward was running a shipping business between Portarlington and Williamstown until his untimely death in 1875.  My great aunt corresponded with the Queen of Tonga for many years and that fits with our connection to Magnus Mariner.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Indigogirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Mariner family
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 March 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
I do have a baptism for James Mariner
P00144-2  374461 James Mariner  Baptism Date:  2 May 1794  Parish:  Collegiate Church of St Katherine By The Tower  County:  London  Borough:  City of London  Parent(s):  Magnus,  Theodosia  Record Type:  Christening  Register Type:  Parish Register

I don't have any other information on him though. He has another brother Henry Magnus as well as William and sister Mary Ann. The other 2 siblings didn't survive to adult hood

Does that help?

Di
Edwards, Williams, Griffiths, Gittins in Denbighshire, Merionethshire
Edwards, Price/Peirce in Monmouthshire.
Kosh in London and Newcastle.
Turnbull, Elder, Forster in Newcastle
Smart, Raycord/Record in Rowley Regis,Staffs
Edwards in Pontefract, Castleford, Matlock
Frith, Gregory in Matlock
Wadsworth, Shephard in Brotherton
Fagan, Lawless in Sheffield

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.