Author Topic: The History of the Family Dallas  (Read 10243 times)

Offline camafra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The History of the Family Dallas
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 May 11 11:37 BST (UK) »
I have noticed that the index of names in this work is incomplete and should not be relied upon. I see that there is a Lillias Dallas* mentioned on p. 449 who is not in the index!

*who is tantalisingly a possible candidate based on age. My Lillias was "55" [i.e., 55-59] in 1841 and the Lillias on p. 449 was born in December 1781 and would have been 59 in June 1841...
I don't know if my Lillias appears in the 1851 census returns.
I see also on p. 451 a Roderick Dallas described as a farmer at Dunain ... who will be the Roderick Dallas, 67, at Leachkin (immediately north of Dunain) in the 1841 returns ... Was he her brother, I wonder?

Offline camafra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 May 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
Lillias Dallas and Angus MacPherson were my ggg grandparents.I have done a fair amount of research on this couple and their descendants.
Which of the MacPherson siblings are you descended from?
Re the Dallas history:it is stated,I believe, in the book that no direct links have been established between the Inverness Dallas families and the main lines.

Offline StanleyDoug

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 October 17 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Eilthireach

Lillias Dallas and Angus McPherson were my great great great grand-parents and I have  gathered some information on them and their family but did not know about the horse stealing incident/trial or Lillias' death.  Their daughter Margaret was my great great grandmother.  You obviously know your subject - I'd be very interested to discuss with you.

I'm new to this forum so can't contact you direct until I've made three posts - this is number 1.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 October 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
I know he is out of your area but my only Dallas is Seymour Dallas, son of John and Mary, born 5 December 1840, Chorlton upon Medlock, Lancashire. Married and Divorced in South Africa. Seymour died 14 May 1933, Folkestone, Kent.

Offline alisanneennis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 November 19 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Good morning, my grandmother was a Dallas and I have managed to trace the family back until John Dallas 1776 to 1850 but I am now stuck.   I have extensive Dallas family history/free and information if anyone is interested, please get in touch.  My mother was a Thom.  The other names in the family tree are Hay, Grant and Grassie. thanks

Offline Jdes86

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 February 20 18:34 GMT (UK) »
     I have been able to trace my Dallas ancestry back to William Dallas 1743-1807 in Inverness, Scotland. He was married to Margaret MacKintosh. Any information on them, ancestors or descendants would help. Thank you.

Offline Chloedallas

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 June 20 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi my names chloe Dallas. I'm from Kingussie and I am a direct line to the dallas family as my father is a dallas. Could I get some info from you regarding my heritage please.
Thanks.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 June 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Chloe , welcome to RC  :)

To make connections it may be best to trace your own family back a few generations.
(Perhaps you have done this already  :-\ )
I have one Margaret Dallas in my tree(Aberdeenshire/Kincardineshire) , but that's going back to the early 1800's.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 June 20 22:57 BST (UK) »
There is ths book about the Dallas family, already mentioned above
https://openlibrary.org/works/OL211550W/The_history_of_the_family_of_Dallas

but if you want to find out about your own heritage you'll need to do a little research of your own to find out how you fit in. There's a useful guide here https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=480454.0

My 5th-great-grandfather was John Dallas, who lived in the parish of Botriphnie in Banffshire in the mid-18th century, but I think our branch was too humble to warrant a mention in the book!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.