Author Topic: Bell Family Grimsby look up  (Read 5252 times)

Offline Whittle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bell Family Grimsby look up
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 October 14 02:34 BST (UK) »
Hi SFT456

Went to Grimsby Library today, could find no record of a memorial inscription, the librarian looked through the death index for Scartho Road Cemetary (main one) but they only hold records up to 1970 she said it might be worth ringing Grimsby crematorium and they might be able to track down a death date for George Frederick  :-\
However its not all bad news  :) managed to find a copy of a cutting from the Grimsby Evening Telegraph dated 30th March 1960 (pm with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy) gist of report is that George was a teacher and started teaching in 1915 aged 17, he fought during the first world war in the RFA, the cutting is about his retirement but mention nothing about his family or early life.  Had a quick look at Ancestry and theres a George F Bell who served in the RFA living in Cleethorpes, parents Tom and Lulu Bell, born in Niagra Falls, New York !! This ties in with the family on the passenger lists, what do you think ?

Fiona

Lulu Bell (nee Shellington) is my great grandmother, my grandfather is Thomas James Bell and my father is Christopher Robin Bell. My dad was born in Grimsby and lived in Cleethorpes, my grandfather was born in Niagra Falls. Sorry, i've just came across this whilst having a sleepless night! You probably know far more about my family than I do, we moved to Teesside in 1970  :)

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 October 14 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Your grandfather Thomas James Bell, was probably this man living with his family at 75 Cornfield St, Cleethorpes, Lincs in 1911

Luliu (nee Shellington)      37   b <Jun 1874 Rochester, New York m  6/4/1894 Niagara Falls, New York d possibly Jun qtr 1925 (Grimsby 7a 692)
(aged 51) (as Lulu Bell
Dorothy Mabel         23   b Sep qtr 1887 Castleford, W Yorks (Pontefract 9c 125) Sister to Tom
James               15   b @1895 Niagara Falls, New York, Assistant to Pork Butcher m? d?
George (George Frederick)      12   b @1898 Niagara Falls, New York, at school

so your grandfather and George Frederick were brothers. Your father Christopher Robin Bell and my mother's cousin William (Bill) Shellington Bell (son of George Frederick) are therefore first cousins and you and Bill's 2 children are 1st cousins once removed......have I got that right? Have you met?. They moved to the Nottingham area in the 60's. Do you know the date when the 2 boys were b in Niagara Falls ?

sft456

Offline Whittle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 February 17 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, sorry I don't recall ever meeting. I'm not sure why but I seem to think my grandad and his brother had a fall out and never spoke again, I could be wrong?? I will have my grandads DOB on his birth certificate.

Penny x