Author Topic: British Invasion of the River Plate 1806-1807  (Read 16039 times)

Offline Siam01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British Invasion of the River Plate 1806-1807
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 May 15 03:16 BST (UK) »
Hi I am back after all these years!

Not sure if we can continue this thread. 

I am looking to get in contact with tirofijoisback who was researching the entire invasion for a book.

Love to hear if the book is out and available to read??

Bonner

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 May 15 07:54 BST (UK) »
Maybe it is this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Invasion-River-Plate-1806-1807/dp/1781590664

As you both have made more than three posts you can send him a personal message as well.

Ken

Offline Siam01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 May 15 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Thank you for the link.

I don't know my way around RootsChat much.  How do I send a personal message??

:D
Bonner

Offline Siam01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 25 May 15 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Please disregard my previous email.  I figure how to send a PM.

Thanks again.
Bonner

Offline Siam01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Could someone tell me how I can find out where Lieutenant Murray from the 1/71st Regiment of foot was recruiting soldiers for the British Army (1/71st Regiment of foot) in Ireland in May 1804.

I know there are four possible places they are; Limerick, Newcastle; Rathkeale and Tarbert.

Any information is appreciated  :)
Bonner

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 07:31 BST (UK) »
It is very rare for an officer to be away from the regiment recruiting. Usually it was a small party 3 to 5 under a Corporal or Sergeant. My have two sources - one says Ireland, another says Scotland. Also, in 1804 they raised a second battalion.

The best records would be the muster books in the National Archives. They are not online. But they are just about your only hope.. It is a case of having a look to see what you have. You could also try their museum if they have one to see if they have any records. Or searching online newspapers for details of where regiments and detachments were. But I doubt specific officers will be mentioned.

Ken

Offline Siam01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Thank you for your prompt reply. 

I live in Australia, I was in the UK in June and had only one day to spare at the National Archive in Kew.  I looked up the 1804 Muster Pay List they were station according to the Pay List between 25 June to 24 July in Rathkeale.

In that pay period there is a section for recruitment details it has; list of names, date of enlistment and Names of Officers commanding the parties by which enlisted and that was Lt. Murray. My ancestor was Cornelius Bonner (a private) is on this list as enlisted on the 22 May 1804. 

I don't believe they were in Rathkeale when he was enlisted I didn't think at the time of looking the months before as he was recorded only in this pay period 25 June to 24 July 1804.  On this same pay list period under notes for some individual privates it has "duty Newcastle"(I assume in Ireland) and Newcastle is a long way from Rathkeale.  So I am confuse as to where he might have been recruited.

Before posting here I attempted writing to the 71st Highlander of Foot in Scotland via contact section of their web site but having lots of trouble sending them a message getting message expire time out.

Thanks  :)
Bonner

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 10:57 BST (UK) »
Sometimes there is a gap between being recruited and enlisting. The key is did the Paymaster pay the recruit from 22 May? If not he was travelling from where they were recruited to headquarters where the regiment surgeon and paymaster were based. how many days the paymaster paid the recruit in that quarter. He would only have paid they when they arrived at headquarters. Also did you look in the back? Muster books change frequently in the 19th century and in a later section the officer may have put in a claim for travel costs of the men he had recruited to headquarters. Which may help in interpreting.

That is why it is important to look at all pages of the muster.

Also was there a column for being at sea? They may have marched to Belfast and caught a packet to Limerick Town. Although more than a month's gap suggests they marched.

If you are after where/when he was born the last muster entry is often the place to look, if the first gives nothing. It looks as if his record has not been kept. This suggests he did not receive a pension. 1804 is when the war with France started up again and large numbers of men were recruited for seven years service without a pension. So 1811 would be the next muster to look. If he does not feature then you need to look in the 2nd Battalion. He may also have transferred from a Militia for a bounty for agreeing to serve overseas. So when you do find his local county you should look for their Militia muster in Kew.

There are contact details here - http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0000000100-Royal-Highland-Fusiliers-Museum.htm

Ken

Offline Siam01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Thank you so much for your knowledgeable information.  You have directed me to what I should be reading the Pay Master book.

I took digital photos of some pages of the Pay Master. 

No he was not paid 25 June to 24 July pay period. He first pay was from 25 July to 24 August. 

I have a digital copy off the Statement of Marches and also a copy of Lt. Murray being paid for recruiting and under note it states “Recruiting Strabane” this is for pay period 25 June to 24 July.

Could Strabane area be it??

He would not have received the pension as he remained in South America which states in the Pay Master of 1806.

Thank your help is much appreciated

Maria 
Bonner