Author Topic: Francis Ryan b. 1831/1833 "in Wexford"  (Read 6156 times)

Offline mandypea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Ryan b. 1831/1833 "in Wexford"
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 May 11 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm the same still awaiting Wexford parish records online with bated breath!!! I would love it if we had the same connection, its been a very lonely road researching my Ryan, Lyons and O'Neill family! My father was Thomas Patrick Ryan oh and by a coincence, my gt grandmother was Margaret O'Neill(1888)! (but she was married to John (Jack) Lyons)

Mandy
Ryan              Wexford  
Lyons            Wexford
O'Neill            Wexford
Storey            Tacken, Waterford
Tomkins          Wexford
Stubbs            Wexford

Offline PastyMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 May 11 12:55 BST (UK) »
Even more interesting! O'Neill as well. We know absolutely nothing in that direction. We had a lot of Hickey connections, mainly in Athy, Co. Kildare where my parents took me in the 1960's, twice. We knew nothing of our Ryan roots in Ireland other than "he came from Wexford" - county or town would have been nice!

The funny thing is that my wife's mother came from Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford so we really should get back there - one of my wife's sisters lives there and would make an excellent vase for staying and looking. Its a bit of a treck from Plymouth, Devon, although we have done it for the occasional family visit.

Keith

Ryan, Neale/O'Neill "in Wexford"
also Rathcormac, Co. Cork
We know the rest in Cornwall!

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 May 11 14:58 BST (UK) »
My first post - I am seeking information about Great-Grandfather Francis Ryan "from Wexford".

He was born 1831-1833, going by ages in the 1861 and 1871 UK Censuses.

Well, if you have census information then you have key information which you are not telling us - his occupation.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline PastyMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 May 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reminder .....

1861 - at Tresco, Isles of Scilly, Agricultural labourer

1871 - at Penzance, Cornwall, Porter (family sources - waggoneer).

Keith

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 May 11 01:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reminder .....

1861 - at Tresco, Isles of Scilly, Agricultural labourer

1871 - at Penzance, Cornwall, Porter (family sources - waggoneer).

Keith

Well the "agricultural labourer" bit definitely points to rural origins and away from the towns.  Also, was the Corrnwall connection associated with the mines? There seems to have been a connection between south Co. Wexford and work in Cornish mines, so might point to a rural south Co. Wexford origin?

Any idea why he was in the Scilly Isles? -  seems like an unlikely haven for a Wexford labourer.

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline PastyMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 May 11 12:03 BST (UK) »
There was never any mining connection that we know of in the story of Francis Ryan.

It was said among the previous generation that he came from farming stock but was not the eldest son, so had to leave. Not sure if his father, Thomas Ryan, was actually "a farmer" because somewhere along the line he has been described as a labourer, as was gt. grandfather Francis.

It is also said (1) that he sailed into Scilly on a steamer. There are also family stories that he was a boatman for a large estate, possibly near Rathcormac "where he had relatives". This is 4 miles from Fermoy, Co. Cork.

Also said (2) that he sailed in, in answer to a recuiting drive for lanourers on the islands. Either way, he "sailed in".

He was in the service of a Capt. Frank Tregarthen on the steamer The Little Western for a while (serving the Scilly Isles), so he had ship/boat experience, tying up with the river boatman story about before he left Ireland.

We don't know how he came to be in West Cornwall in the first place - it was post-famine. He married an islander (Susannah Prideaux). One of their children, Annie Jenkin Ryan, married a Thomas Hickey (from Kilberry, Athy, Co. Kildare), also settled in Penzance, West Cornwall, as an engineer in a quarry and who subsequently went to sea. His influence was such that three sons of his wife's brother, my grandfather, Patrick, incl. my father, all went to sea as careers.

We do know that he was "kicked off" the island of Tresco where he worked for the Governor for digging his own potatoes before digging the Governor's crop - memories of the famine? He had also agitated for more pay for the labourers.

Thanks for your interest.

Keith

Offline Leigh P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 02:52 BST (UK) »
Hello PastyMan,

I realise you started this thread nearly 7 years ago but I have just come across it. Frances Ryan's wife Susannah Prideaux was the younger sister of my husband's great grandfather Richard Ellis Prideaux. If you need/want any more information about your Prideaux ancestors please let me know.

Leigh
LONDON - Brace, Branson, Ward, Clayton, Gilbee, Primmer, Hatton
BERKSHIRE - Cotterell, Pither, Hatty, Lovegrove, Gray
CAMBRIDGESHIRE & HERTSFORDSHIRE - Flack, Oakman,
CORNWALL - Prideaux, Jenkins, Oats, Tonkin, Blewett, Veale
KENT - Rayner, Bax, Clarke, Pilcher, Marsh, Hunt, Belsey, Tickner, Baseden
NORTHUMBERLAND - Mills, Hill, Campbell
LANCASHIRE - Standring, Seddon
SOMERSET-Bartlett, Harris
SUSSEX-Primmer, Winchester
CORK-Bennett, Bible, Campbell
ANTRIM-Swan, Gault
DUBLIN-Lynch

Offline PastyMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Leigh

As you noted, 7 years ago. I did my family enquiries in 1980-1982 (37 years ago!)and very little since, although I thought I would try this computer approach 7 years ago.  I have a cousin who is "the keeper of the flame" these days so she might come in on this thread.

I'm not sure what the practice is on here but I have some information on a web page about Susannah garnered from old family members now passed on. I have a few snippets, a memorial card, a sketch plan and plot numbers for her grave in Penzance e.g. .....
Susannah Ryan 41 Yrs Buried 8th Sept. 1875 23-M-3 RC (from the Cemetery Office, Penzance).

My real quest is regarding Susannah's husband, Francis Ryan. Any detail further to .....
b. 1831 or 1833 (according to one census), Co. Wexford
d. 5 July 1905, age 73, Plymouth

Father: Thomas Ryan, b. 1790-1800?, labourer
Mother: Anne Neil / Neale (spellings?), m. 1820s?

I presume you have these details .....
m. Susanah Prideaux, 19 May 1862, St Mary's Church, Penzance
He was 29, she was 25.
Their children
Annie Jenkins, Johanna,  Patrick,  Thomas John Prideaux, Mary Quigley, Catherine Jane (Jenny)

Regards - Keith (almost 72)