Author Topic: Innkeeper and land selector  (Read 9167 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Innkeeper and land selector
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 September 10 04:10 BST (UK) »

1872 Greville's NSW PO Directory

Egan Charles, Constable Murrurundi

Egan Thomas, Innkeeper Euroka Lyndhurst

Flood James, farmer  Marrungulla Ck Lyndhurst

Flood Thomas, farmer Blayney

Gerry

Offline Chatso58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 September 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry
There are 2 Thomas Flood from in our family tree  from Carcoar one is my G.G.Grandfather's son the other is his brother thank you for all that helpful information
                                    Robyn

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 September 10 15:02 BST (UK) »
Robyn,

I have sent you a PM relating to Charles Egan being appointed a Constable.

Also there is a great NSW Government site that has old Parish maps digitised and depending on the date one can often find allotments marked to their owners on these maps.  I did a quick search for Calcoar then went to the Errol Parish map for 1884 and there are some blocks marked out to Thomas Flood, took some finding though.

Can be a bit tricky to use but the first thing to do is find the Parish where the property might be then go to the Parish maps for the nearest years and carefully look around to see if and holdings are named,  I have had 3 successful finds with my family tree.

Use this site to find the name of a Parish map or maps for the area of interest as a starting point.

http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/name_search

Once you have a Parish map of interest go to this site to search.  What you are looking for (if it exists) maybe on an adjacent map and the names for the adjacent Parishes can often be found on the borders of the map you are reviewing.

http://parishmaps.lands.nsw.gov.au/pmap.html

Hopefully the maps for the years you are after will be there.

Good luck, if you need any help please contact me.

Gerry

Offline 6769restoration

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I noticed that you are researching Charles Egan Snr, as to am I.  I have recently purchased a heritage listed house which he built around 1877-1878? in Inverell NSW, and am now in the process of restoring the house, and compiling what history I can find of Charles Egan Sr and his family. 
Charles Egan came to Inverell after a failed hotel venture in Glen Innes - The Royal Hotel.  He took up the position of Sheriffs Officer in Inverell as well as starting the first cordial factory, auctioneers yard (beside the house),  a club for returned WW1 servicemen & he also built several of the Inverell towns properties.  He was regarded within Inverell as a notable identify of the grand old school of pioneers who was esteemed and respected by all who made his acquaintance.
I would love any information you may have on Charles Egan Snr & I have also gathered a lot more information if you require.
I recently met and had a chat with his GGGrandson Frank Egan.