Author Topic: John Douglas, Blacksmith - Strathkinness  (Read 6231 times)

Offline Bloosman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Douglas, Blacksmith - Strathkinness
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 18:09 BST (UK) »
Diddy/Chiad,

Again, many thanks to you both....

I'm quite sure I'm on the correct line now.

I found my John DOUGLAS, b.1854 in the 1871 census, living with re-married mother at the Post Office, St Andrews. However, he's marked down as being John Douglas PULLAR, as per mothers new husband...that's why I missed him.

1861 census, 3 years after mother re-married, John is shown living with an older female at a different location to mother, but still St. Andrews.

As I stated above, his Statutory Marriage certificate to Elizabeth Davidson (1874) shows father and mother to be John Douglas & Elizabeth Myles (later Pullar), which is repeated in his death certificate of 1917.

But there is no record of his birth, hence my "concern", as I like to evidence birth, marriage and death...:-)

Douglas.
Forgan, Annan, Cadden, Garland, Pratt, Douglas, McMann, Murray, Gillan...

Offline reddouglas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 May 13 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi new user so apologies if what I say doesnt make much sense.

I have also researched this line but through your Johns uncle, Adam Euan douglas who is my 4 x Grt Grandad. I have your Johns dob as 09/12/1831. I have another 4 generations prior to this if it is any use to you. John was a Grandson of Spence. If anyone has info on Spences grt granparents Robert and Mgt Morton it would be appreciated as I cant seem to find any opr register of their births.

Offline Bloosman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 June 13 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi new user so apologies if what I say doesnt make much sense.

I have also researched this line but through your Johns uncle, Adam Euan douglas who is my 4 x Grt Grandad. I have your Johns dob as 09/12/1831. I have another 4 generations prior to this if it is any use to you. John was a Grandson of Spence. If anyone has info on Spences grt granparents Robert and Mgt Morton it would be appreciated as I cant seem to find any opr register of their births.

Reddouglas...

Sorry for the delay in replying...been away from my tree for a while and just getting back running with it again.

I'm afraid I can only get as far back as Spence Douglas & Ann Gilchrist...

If you have anything further, I'd be very interested.

Thanks,

Douglas.
Forgan, Annan, Cadden, Garland, Pratt, Douglas, McMann, Murray, Gillan...

Offline reddouglas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 18:00 BST (UK) »
No problem.
Spence Douglas was born 25th May 1778 in Strathkinness and died around 1830 also in Strathkinness. His parents were Robert (b 02 May 1747) and Janet Oliphant (b around 1747). Spence married Ann Gilchrist 17th Nov 1769.

Robert Douglas' parents were Robert (b around 1721) and Margaret Mitchell (b around 1725), they married 05th June 1746.

Robert b1721s parents were Robert and Margaret Morton who married 23rd Dec 1718.

Ann Gilchrist b1778 d1824, parents john gilchrist and jean wan m 12 Dec 1771

Janet Oliphant b1747 parents Michael born 06th July 1720 and Jean Duncan b1725 and married 27th Oct 1744.

While I remember  google a glimpse of strathkinness, there is mention of a few members of our family in there.

Offline Strathlass

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
I've just discovered that I'm the great great great granddaughter of Spence Douglas - born in 1778! Discovered by pure chance when I was holidaying in Strathkinness this week. All started when I went to see if I could locate the house of ' uncle Eck' who we visited every summer in the 1960's when I was a child. He was actually my dad's cousin but fondly known by us as uncle Eck. Lived 3rd house up from the Low Road to St Andrews ( I think - memory a bit hazy) though now a new house standing there. I'm a descendant of Euphemia Douglas who was born in Strathkinness in 1869 and married William Brown who was born in 1872 - they married in the parish of St Andrews in 1898.

Pop
No problem.
Spence Douglas was born 25th May 1778 in Strathkinness and died around 1830 also in Strathkinness. His parents were Robert (b 02 May 1747) and Janet Oliphant (b around 1747). Spence married Ann Gilchrist 17th Nov 1769.

Robert Douglas' parents were Robert (b around 1721) and Margaret Mitchell (b around 1725), they married 05th June 1746.

Robert b1721s parents were Robert and Margaret Morton who married 23rd Dec 1718.

Ann Gilchrist b1778 d1824, parents john gilchrist and jean wan m 12 Dec 1771

Janet Oliphant b1747 parents Michael born 06th July 1720 and Jean Duncan b1725 and married 27th Oct 1744.

While I remember  google a glimpse of strathkinness, there is mention of a few members of our family in there.