Author Topic: Gerrard/Jamieson  (Read 6526 times)

Offline Hazel Gerrard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gerrard/Jamieson
« on: Tuesday 28 September 10 12:03 BST (UK) »
Trying to figure out the father of James Gerrard m Jane Jamieson in 1891.  He died in 1949.  On his marriage cert his father is listed as William/on his death cert father listed as James.  Can anyone help? I am really stuck.  It appears his mother was Isabella Harrison (I don't think his father married her).  It appears James/William would have been born in the New Deer/Monquhitter area but cannot find any records.  Look forward to hearing from someone! Regards
Fordyce, Banffshire; New Deer; Aberdeenshire;
Pirie; Pierrie;

Offline lizanne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gerrard/Jamieson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
How old was James when he married ?
If we could find his birth we may have a better chance of finding out who his father was.
Even if his mother didn't marry his father there may be a RCE with his birth naming the father.
Jane

Offline Hazel Gerrard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  I have only found his birth cert under the name of James Harrison in 1864, no father mentioned.  I only know his mother is Isabella Harrison as she is listed as the mother on his marriage cert.  He appears to start using the name Gerrard later on though.  I think I have got the right person but could be totally wrong as am working on a lot of maybes.  If I have followed the right Isabella Harrison she died as a pauper in 1893 at New Deer. She seemed to have several children to different fathers.  James appears as living with his mother in 1871 census at New Deer and then no trace but we have James "Gerrard" in 1881 census and 1891 census - I am assuming I have the right one this time as living the same place as domestic servant is Jane Jamieson who he married in 1991.  Whether he legally changed his name to Gerrard or not I do not know. A bit of a mystery here and a bit of unwillingness to acknowledge the truth on the certificates I feel.  Sure this happened a lot but very frustrating to progress.  Most Gerrards in the area are from Aberdour, very few are in New Deer area and they certainly seemed to escape the census.  Thanks for taking the time to reply. :)
Pirie; Pierrie;

Offline lizanne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 21:09 BST (UK) »
Just found a baptism James Falconer Harrison 19 April 1864 Monquhitter , mother Isabella Harrison .
I am assuming that this is your James.

I don't think that you are going to get any further with his father if there was no RCE with his birth record . The only other option is if Isabella claimed parish relief a supposed father may be listed , but details recorded do vary from one parish to another.
I will see if I can find anything further but don't be too disapointed if nothing turns up.
I know how frustrating it can be my g grandmother had 3 children but never married. The eldest daughter named her grandparents as her parents when she married but registered her mothers death correctly as her daughter. The son gave correct details , just his mothers name when he married . the other daughter my grandmother married in England and gave a fathers name but checking Scotland's People no-one of that name was born in Scotland. Dead end..

Jane

Offline Hazel Gerrard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 10:13 BST (UK) »
Frustrating business!
Thanks for the advice.
Hazel

Pirie; Pierrie;

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 15:21 BST (UK) »
I also think that the poor relief rolls will show you more information on the parentage of all of Isabella's children. They will all  be listed on the application form (both dependants & non dependants) You should check the parishes where she lived & also the parish where James was born (Monquhitter). I'd a look through the censuses & IGI's & note that in the 1861 census Isabella was living with her sister & brother in law Elspet & James Falconer, in Monquhitter. It seems your James was named after his uncle. I have traced my Gerrard ancestors for many years & will be glad to check through my paperwork if you find anymore information on the elusive father of James! By the way, what was the occupation of his father & was he still alive in 1891?
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Hazel Gerrard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 15:41 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the help - much appreciated.  I did see that Isabella was living with her sister and brother-in-law for a time.  On the 1891 marriage certificate of James and Jane Jamieson the father is listed as William Gerrard (Farmer) deceased so he died prior to 1891.  However when James died the information given on death cert was that his father's name was James Gerrard - crofter.  If you come up with anything that would be great but I think most of it is going to have to be guesswork.  I do find it strange that William was listed as a farmer as most of the generations of Gerrards were small croft holders and not farmers. 
Pirie; Pierrie;

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 17:28 BST (UK) »
I would think that the information on the marriage certificate would be the most reliable, as it's coming from the horse's mouth so to speak!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 20:20 BST (UK) »
I've done a bit of digging & it may be just a coincidence, but - there is a William Gerrard in Monquhitter parish who's a farmer. In 1861 census he is at Hillhead of Balquhindachy , age 35 with his wife Jane. I have found out that Jane (nee Pearson) died February 22 1862 at Woodside, Balquhindachy, of consumption. She'd had it for 3 - 4 years. William was the son of Arthur & Isabella (nee Howie). Their eldest son, Arthur Gerrard emigrated to Otago in 1857. I don't know what became of William after he was widowed. Hopefully you'll find some useful information in the poor relief records!
flst