Author Topic: Muncie Family Muirkirk/ Auchinleck  (Read 10918 times)

Offline wilitgo1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Muncie Family Muirkirk/ Auchinleck
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 18:02 BST (UK) »
There was a Monkshead also in Douglas Parish but a few yards from Muirkirk Parish (within half a mile of Glenbuck in Muirkirk parish) which could fit the bill but although it is a lot closer to Muirkirk is still in Douglas parish. Monkshead could be corrupted to Maxehead but Hazelhead seems unlikely.

Offline wilitgo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 18:48 BST (UK) »
I checked the birth for William Muncy or Munsie in 1788 and there is no birth register for him in Douglas parish? The birth record for William Muncy in Muikirk old parish records is as follows
"Muncy    :  John Muncy and Margaret McKartney a son born upon the 6th of May 1789 named William
ditto ditto a son born 5th June 1791 and named Robert Paterson    (Muncy)
ditto a son born 26th October 1793 named James   (Muncy)
ditto a son born 27th June 1795 named Thomas
The above John Muncy and Marg't McKartney then residing in Burnside a son born upon  2 December 1803 and baptised in their house upon the 3, named John."

Now where does the (Robert) Paterson come in?

Offline wilitgo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 18:52 BST (UK) »
I apologise. I see that William was baptised as MUNCIE in Douglas parish. However if George McKartney lived in Hazelhead why was he not buried in Douglas and why are all the Maxehead references in Muirkirk?

Offline joshbob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
      On  the 1788 O.P.R for Muirkirk is certainly not MAXEHEAD as the writer has written numerous capital M`s . Was George a tenant farmer?The ministers of the day kept a record for the parish, as the birth and
christening of william highlights that he was born on the 6th and baptised 10 miles away in Douglas, there must be a connection,you need a good reason to travel 10miles with a newborn to be baptised. Thats if
they travelled or were they there in the first place?

Offline wilitgo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 April 15 00:23 BST (UK) »
You are correct. I checked the original image for the marriage of Robert McKartney and Betty Matthison in 1785 and it is defintely HAXEHEAD. Please send me the details of of the birth of William in Douglas parish or if you can via Irene MacLeod send the image if you have it. I wonder why  all the children of George McKartnie and Marie Forsaith other than Margaret were living in Muirkirk when their father was in Douglas? Job prospects better? James their son was definitely born in MUIRKIRK but now I can't find the details of the OPR birth register in my files. I am not sure what you mean that William's parents travelled 10 miles to get him baptised? Did it say they were from Muirkirk parish in the baptism of William who I take it is born in Hazelhead in Douglas??. Am I missing something in the original information? I would love it if that George was in Hazelhead Douglas  but I still have nagging doubts. I will check the birth register original sometime but if you can send me a copy I would be much obliged. Cheers Robbie

Offline wilitgo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 April 15 01:42 BST (UK) »
I just realised we are talking about Hazelhead but only HAZELSIDE can be found on the old maps? Is it easier to believe that a Hazelhead is the McCartney home in Douglas Parish but can't be found on the old maps in comparison with a Haxehead in Muirkirk which also can't be found on old maps? I look forward to the transcription of the birth register for William's birth. Wish we could get a reference to this place somewhere. Maybe the Register of Sasines will have Haxehead or Hazelhead registered?

Offline wilitgo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 April 15 02:17 BST (UK) »
I may have solved the problem of Haxehead. There is a Hawkshead Wood in Muirkirk and  housing named Hawkshead Terrace. Could this be the illusive Haxehead? Hawkshead and Haxehead don't sound much different?

Offline wilitgo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 April 15 02:45 BST (UK) »
False alarm on Hawkhead! I found it in a Muikirk History Quiz. However the answer was wrong as I checked it on Google Earth and the wood is Hawkshaw and the street Hawkshaw Terrace! I'll give up!
I still can't believe that folk married in Muirkirk church were not designated as of Douglas Parish in Lanarkshire when registered in Muirkirk. My ancestors marriage record

Old Parish Records Marriage Muirkirk

Robert McKarney son to George McKartney in Haxehead and Betty Matthison daughter to John Matthison herd in Mid Wellwood gave in their names and were proclaimed in order to marriage upon the 26th June and married 15th July 1785

Offline wilitgo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 09 April 15 11:10 BST (UK) »
The plot thickens. According to the original birth record for William Muncie there is no mention on Hazelhead?

Old Parish Register Birth Douglas Lanarkshire
May 10th 1789
Muncie -  William lawful son to John Muncie and Margaret McCartney in Douglas was born on the 6th: Inst; and baptised today

I take it then that it is pure conjecture that he must have been born at a place called Hazelhead which because there is a Hazelside must exist? Unless there is another birth or piece of information telling me other wise I will not be convinced that Haxehead (or as I erroneously called Maxehead) is in Muirkirk.  Maybe we will never be able to locate it but as far as I am concerned the McCartneys home was in Muirkirk.