Author Topic: Four Ogle children - Orphans  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Wilkinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Four Ogle children - Orphans
« on: Tuesday 28 September 10 20:07 BST (UK) »
My maternal Grandmother was Isabella Johnson Ogle (1884).  She was the youngest of 10 children - parents being Matthew(1844) and Catherine Ogle (nee Spence - 1845)). I have traced the Ogle line back to 1750 in considerable detail.

Granny's oldest brother was also called Matthew (1867). He married Catherine Dixon (1871) . They had 5 children - Thomas (abt 1891) - John (abt. 1892) - Matthew (abt.1893) - George D  (abt. 1895) and Catherine (abt 1897). Unfortunately the evidence suggests that the infant George died in child birth.  There is even more tragedy with probable death records for the father Matthew in 1899 and mother Catherine in 1903.

The 1911 Census tells us that the three orphaned Ogle boys are living with their mother's brother George Dixon and his family at 25 Wheatridge Row, Seaton Delaval. Thomas is 20 yrs., John D is 19 yrs. and Matthew is 17 years . All are working at the pit. Their sister Katharine (Catherine) now aged 13 years is living with their mothers sister Ellen and her husband Mark Dockerty at 54 Wheatridge Row.

My main interest is trying to find out what happened to the four Ogle children

I would also be interested in any information about my Granny's other Ogle siblings namely - Josephine (abt 1868), John (abt 1870), Margaret (abt 1872), Elizabeth (abt 1875), Thomas (abt 1875) , Jonathan (abt.1877), Rutherford (abt 1879) and Dixon (abt.1882)

Rob.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Four Ogle children - Orphans
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

It will be easier to trace the orphaned Ogle children with their full birth details established, including middle names where applicable.

From FreeBMD:

Birth Mar qtr 1891: Thomas OGLE, Tynemouth
Birth Sep qtr 1892: John Dixon OGLE, Tynemouth
Birth Sep qtr 1893: Matthew OGLE, Tynemouth
Birth Dec qtr 1894: George Dixon OGLE, Tynemouth (and his death, Sep qtr 1895 Tynemouth aged 0)
Birth Dec qtr 1897: Catherine OGLE, Tynemouth

Anna :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
John Dixon OGLE enlisted with the Northumberland Fusiliers in August 1914, but was discharged after a couple of months as "medically unfit - not likely to become an efficient soldier".  His next of kin was given as his uncle George DIXON.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
My maternal Grandmother was Isabella Johnson Ogle (1884).  She was the youngest of 10 children - parents being Matthew(1844) and Catherine Ogle (nee Spence - 1845)). I have traced the Ogle line back to 1750 in considerable detail.

I would also be interested in any information about my Granny's other Ogle siblings namely - Josephine (abt 1868), John (abt 1870), Margaret (abt 1872), Elizabeth (abt 1875), Thomas (abt 1875) , Jonathan (abt.1877), Rutherford (abt 1879) and Dixon (abt.1882)

I'm a bit confused about this part of the family.  You say the parents were Matthew and Catherine - but the 1891 census shows these children as children of James Matthew OGLE and Mary ??? (1891 reference RG12/4236/69/1).

Offline Wilkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,
Sorry about the error. Yes my Granny's parents were Matthew and Mary Ogle (nee Spence).  Thanks for the information on birth dates and the Northumberland Fusiliers information. I wondered about whether any of them had enlisted.
I've just sussed out that  Granny's brother John (1870) married yet another Catherine and had two children by 1903 called Rutherford and Lily!  Also brother Dixon (1882) seems to have married an Elizabeth Ann and they have a child called May Elizabeth Ogle.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Rob.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 23:27 BST (UK) »
possible marriage for Catherine Ogle ,Tynemouth,J/F/M 1924 to Thomas Stephenson,

I can only find one child for this couple a son born 1932 Tynemouth

The Ogle children are with their uncle in 1901 ,George Dixon,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 23:40 BST (UK) »
Josephine Jane S Ogle married 26th May  1890 James Cunningham ,Earsdon,Tynemouth district ,

Children ,
Margaret 1895 ,
Robert 1897,

possible death 1951,

Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Wilkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Radcliff,

Thanks a lot for that. Those marriage entries look very probable and are good leads. The middle initial S for Josephine is the Spence link and  2/3 of the children had the same middle initial.  My Grans middle name of "Johnson" goes back another generation.

Thanks again for the info. Every little bit helps, adds to the picture and opens up further possible lines of research.

Rob.

Offline roundboy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 December 10 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob,

I too have been researching this branch of the Ogles. I'm also in contact with someone in Australia who has details of Ogles who emigrated there.

Josephine Jane Spence Cunningham (known as Jessie, nee Ogle) and her husband Jimmy Cunningham were my great grandparents. I have detailed history, some photos and other records from Ogle family bible.

Also Isabella Johnson Ogle married John Fryer. I have photo of Fryers with Jessie and Margaret Ogle (who married Isaac Nicholson).

Can you give me a contact email address.