Author Topic: Four Ogle children - Orphans  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Wilkinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Four Ogle children - Orphans
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 December 10 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roundboy,
I'll PM you
Rob

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 July 18 11:09 BST (UK) »
Wilkinson, , I have just discovered that I have two Bedlington ancestors, late 1700s, early 1800s, who have Ogle as a first name. I'd be interested to hear more about your connection with the family as I am trying to work out how my ancestors, Watsons, ended up having the name Ogle.

Interestingly, I also have an ancestor with Wilkinson as his first name.

Martin

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 July 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this will be any relevance or interest for you Ogles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogle,_Northumberland
I only know about it because my parents moved to Ogle from Blyth in the ?1970s.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 July 18 14:40 BST (UK) »
Tricia, thank you for that link although I did find it yesterday morning. It has got me very intrigued, knowing that a mystery name in my ancestry relates to a village in an area that I will be visiting fairly soon. I thought I already had a busy schedule. Thank you again. I also found that there is an Ogle county in Illinois, named after a prominent soldier on the American side in the War of Independence.

Martin

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
http://www.northtyneside.gov.uk/marriage-register-test.shtml?mode=details&register=C-5%207&entrynumber=125

I see that Josephine Ogle was married at St Alban, Earsdon by the Church code.  I should be able to look up the full marriage record at some point this week, if this might be helpful for your research?

Catherine does not appear to have married in the North Tyneside part of the Tynemouth registration district.  Perhaps she may have married at Horton in Blyth?

You may need a RootsChatter who is going to Woodhorn to check this out for you.

Added: Silly me! I have just realised that Rob has not been around for a good while so the marriage lookup may not be relevant.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Wilkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi River Tyne Lass,
Thanks for thinking about helping but as you realised I have not been around for some time. I completed all my research on the Ogle family including the information I requested here some time ago. My Granny on my mother's side was the link to the Ogle's. Her brother Matthew married Catherine Dixon and they had 5 children. Sadly parents Matthew died in 1899 and Catherine in 1903 leaving Thomas. John, Matthew and Catherine. Another son George born1894 died in infancy in 1895. The children went to live with their Mother's brother George Dixon. Thomas was killed at Gallipoli in 1915. John enlisted but was medically unfit and discharged. He died locally in 1953. Matthew emigrated to the USA and died in Houston, Texas in1967. Catherine married a Thomas Stephenson in 1924.
They certainly had a rough time when they were kids and tragedy wasn't very far away from the family.
I've tracked the Ogles back to 1700. The Northumberland Ogles can be tracked back to Humphrey De Ogle a Cousin of William the Conqueror and even William himself. Humphrey was born before 1055 and died in 1125. For services too William he was given lands in Northumberland. Note the village of Ogle.
Anyway that's enough of me rabbiting on. Thanks for thinking of my original  request.
Regards,
Rob

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 22:34 BST (UK) »
Wilkinson, re my Reply #10, do the names Watson, Gilhespy or Bates appear in you research between 1750 and 1810?

Martin

Offline Wilkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,
Sorry but none of those names crop up in any of my research.
Rob

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Wilkinson, they were all relatives who had the name Ogle as either a first name or a middle name. I just hoped you might be able to give me some hint as to the connection. No reply needed.

Martin