Author Topic: John PENVOSE  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Ellej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John PENVOSE
« on: Sunday 26 September 10 11:50 BST (UK) »
Greetings all...  I am searching for teh forefathers of John Penvose (born circa 1796 at St Agnes, Cornwall).  He married Margaret Rowe, they had 11 children one of which was Maria Penvose who married Thomas Truscott - their son John Henry Truscott moved to Tasmania and started the line of family that I am descended from.

I would like to find out who came before and where the family goes back to..

Am a real newbie and not sure where to start and where to head..

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Ellj

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Penrose etc family history research
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of PENROSE aka PENROS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 14:16 BST (UK) »
Greetings all...  I am searching for teh forefathers of John Penvose (born circa 1796 at St Agnes, Cornwall).  He married Margaret Rowe, they had 11 children one of which was Maria Penvose who married Thomas Truscott - their son John Henry Truscott moved to Tasmania and started the line of family that I am descended from.

I would like to find out who came before and where the family goes back to..

Am a real newbie and not sure where to start and where to head..

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Ellj

Enquiries from 2 states in 24 hours!

Hi there.

The Penvoses are a different family. After an enquiry earlier in this topic, I wondered whether the name had been misspelt on the internet, but see from the original censuses that the spelling is right.

Distance means reliance on other researchers getting it right, and the Internet.

You need a couple of good books to help you to get the most out of what information you can access. The Dewey number in the libraries is the same as here, and is 929.

I don't know whether you personally are in Tasmania, but this address seems as good a place as any to start: http://www.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/familyhistory

The editions of the books have been written by, or with the assistance, of the Nationall Accociation of Australian Genealogists.

Happy Hunting!

Chris
Penrose Pollard Stoddern Bowers Milnes Starkey Chappell

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: John PENVOSE
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellej,

A Big Welcome to RootsChat.  ;D

I have now split your request from Chris's thread as he does not think they connect.

In this case, sticking with this v I do see

John PENVOSE = Mary ROWE 11 Jun 1817 St Agnes

John PENVOSE was baptised 15 Sep 1793 St Agnes parents John and Ann

There is no sign of a marriage in St Agnes - or any PENVOSE marriage prior to this time. There are a few PENVOASE marriages (Plenty of PENROSE's but there is no marriage for a John PENROSE to an Ann either)

There is however this one in Kenwyn. This Transcription lists the man as PENROSE but another transcription lists the name as PENVOSE. He is from St Agnes so it does look good.

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/moreinfo.php?ID=223133&dbtype=marriages&formval=

possibly

John PENVOASE baptised 4 Feb 1759 St Agnes parents John and Mary

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Penrose etc family history research
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 00:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, Kris I agree. There was an enquiry added to that topic years ago about the Penvoses to which I responded at the time, though havn't the time to pursue more than the Penroses and other connections.

If I may make a positive observation, it would be that the Australian Genealogists are keen as anything with their research. The English counties tend to go their own way without any concerted ambition, whereas the Australians seem to be competing to be the best, resulting in their excellent advice services and resources management.  :)
Penrose Pollard Stoddern Bowers Milnes Starkey Chappell

Offline DorothyG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 May 17 07:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Ellj,
I'm replying to your message, although it was some years ago now since it was posted. I have only just discovered your post and it could be that by now you have made further progress with your ancestral research – PENVOSE and a connection with John Henry Truscott who went to Tasmania from Cornwall. Looking closely at the details you have documented, I feel sure we are both researching the same family. My Grandfather was John Henry Truscott (married Bertha Clarke in Tasmania) and his parents in Cornwall were THOMAS TRUSCOTT and MARIA PENROSE. And going back through that line we have a definite match with that which follows:  Margaret Rowe and JOHN PENROSE. I feel sure we are on a parallel here, with one exception, I feel that your Penvose should actually Penrose, which somewhere along the line in researching, a misinterpretation in handwriting has caused the spelling to be thus.  I've research a long way back through the line with huge success, but it was certainly PENROSE. I'd be happy to share my findings with you.  I'm curious too about your Tasmanian connection – would any of John & Bertha's children be one of your ancestors? My father was fifth in line to be born (and there were (from memory) 10 of them! I look forward to hearing from you.
Best Regards,
Dorothy