Author Topic: Alfred Slade  (Read 10528 times)

Offline colin12

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Alfred Slade
« on: Tuesday 28 September 10 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
 Looking for some help with Alfred Slade b. 1879 London, joined the Royal Warkwickshires 1894 went to India, with 1st Battalion then transferred into the Indian Army. Later emerged in Calcutta when he married Rosa Clark 1918. Questions:When did he transfer and to which unit and what happened to him after the marriage?

Cheers

Colin
Bishop Dorest/ Portsmouth
Withall Droxford
Kershaw Canada/West yorkshire
Joyce Surrey/Hampshire

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Slade
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

FamilySearch Pilot have a death for Alfred Slade on the 15 May 1926, Lucknow India died and buried same date.

Their records also have the marriage as 18th Sept 1913 not 1918 but I suppose that it's easy to mistake one for the other on old records. The record also reports the brides status as "widowed" and her father's name is recorded as James Duggan.

There is also a birth recorded for a James Alfred Slade on the 10th Sept 1906 at Chakrata, Bengal, India. The father is recorded as Alfred Slade, mother Rosa. Plus his later marriage (James's) to Muriel Giddens Hartley.

There is some more info on the same page recording the marriage of a Rosa Mary Slade, born 1908, father William Alfred Slade, to an Albert Edward Biford, and another of a Florence Sarah Slade, born1910, father William Alfred Slade, to William Charles Franklin

Hope all that is of some help!

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline colin12

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Thats great, do you think the marriage, Alfred to Rosa, could be 1903 not 1913/8 as James was born 1906?
Thanks for your input
Colin
Withall Droxford
Joyce Surrey/Hampshire

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 September 10 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Thats great, do you think the marriage, Alfred to Rosa, could be 1903 not 1913/8 as James was born 1906?
Thanks for your input
Colin

I suppose it's a possibility Colin. Much depends on how accurate the transcription is from the original document.  Alfred would certainly have been of age in 1903, as would Rosa - she being widowed.

I think this is one of those where you have to put your own interpretation on events unless/until you see the originals.

It would be interesting to find the circumstances surrounding his death. As he was in the Indian Army, was it a result of some skirmish or, more likely, disease. Cholera and typhoid were regular killers of the Europeans.

It seems from the records that the majority, if not all, his children married after his death.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline dnslade

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 October 10 23:11 BST (UK) »
Alfred William Slade is my Great Grandfather and his marriage to Rosa Duggan was in 1913, 18th Sept. in Calcutta.I have a copy of the original schedule. Alfred 33yrs, bachalor, Band Corporel, father John Slade.

Rosa was a widow and her last name was Clark. She was 28, father James Duggan.
Rosa was previously married to a Charles Clark on 3rd July 1901 in Bombay. She was only 16yrs .

My Grandfather Frederick Duggan Slade was born 16th August 1905 in Bombay and his Baptism was on the 14th Sept. 1905. So there was a period when Rosa and Alfred were together and having children and they were not married.

Colin, how do you know that Alfred joined the Royal Warwicks in 1894? I would love to get my hands on his service information. I know he was in the Royal Warwickshire Reg. and was a Band Master, but thats all.

Offline colin12

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 October 10 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Pleased to hear from you, I am doing this research for Fredrick Slade who lives in North Yorkshire and I beleive is now 78

Colin
Withall Droxford
Joyce Surrey/Hampshire

Offline dnslade

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
Frederick Slade is my Dad and we have been at a dead end with Alfred William Slade's service records for years and "t mo" has been very kind and helpful. He managed to send me the front Attestation pages of both my great grandfathers who were both in the Royal Warwicks. I now have their Army numbers and where they enlisted.
I understand that you have been helping too, and I am very grateful.

Deb.

Offline colin12

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb,

I have found most of the children  belonging to A W Slade, about 9 in all, however 5 of those died at birth or soon after, Rosa was married before to Charles Clark and some of the children shown as Alfreds were in fact Charles.
I am in touch with Matthew Slade, whose Great Grandfather was Harry Slade, Alfreds older brother.
Would it be possible for you to send me copies of the attestation papers?
I am sending my findings up to your fathers old friend Alan Alfred, ex Lt Colonel in the Royal Signals to pass on to your father in the near future.
Regards
Colin
Withall Droxford
Joyce Surrey/Hampshire

Online gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
hi,Alfred joined up at Aldershot 3rd May 1893 age 15,,he was a messenger by trade.
on enlistment he was 5 ft tall, weighed 88lb,,fair complexion,brown eyes and dark brown har.
he joined as a "boy" and 2 years later was a bandsman.
he served
home  1893-95
malta 1895-97
egypt 1897-98
east indies 1898-1905

he was part of the nile expedition 1898 and was awarded

the egypy/sudan medal with clasp for khartoum
queens sudan medal

he was transferred in 1905,,,,hope this helps  :)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk