Author Topic: Missing Aunt help please  (Read 1610 times)

Offline jupiter1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Aunt help please
« on: Wednesday 29 September 10 03:19 BST (UK) »
Help please with missing Aunts

Hi Team,
I have an Aunt that I have been un-successful in finding in the past 16 years of searching.  I now concede that I desperately need help so am turning to this forum with high hopes.

This Aunts name, from my maternal side , is Vickie, (or Vicky ?, presumably short for Victoria).  She was born, (and died), in the 1903 to 1920 period in the East End of London, probably in the Mile End or Leyton area or thereabouts

Her mother was Lillie CONNAH.  Lillie married in 1905/Q4 registered at Mile End, London.
Her father was Alfred Ernest MATHEWS born 1879/Q3 registered at Mile End Old Town .
The marriage cert has two spellings for his name, MATHEW and MATTHEW.
Other documents in hand, ( birth cert for my 3rd Aunt), show his name as MATHEWS.
MAT(T)HEW(S) death has not yet been found but he was dead by 1919/Q4 when Lillie re-married W. H. FLEMING. He was in the Navy with one of my uncles so may have been killed in the first world war.

It is very remotely possible that Vickies surname was FLEMING though this is unlikely. She may have been adopted by FLEMING prior to her death though again this is unlikely.
It is also possible that all or some of this family lived for a while in Clerkenwell (or Camberwell) in the period 1905 to 1920.
Please note that the births of all members of this family with the exception of the last were registered either at Mile End or Bow.
The last member was born 1920 and registered at Westminster. 

I have continually scoured all sources available to me including the Free BMD site FreeCen, FreeReg. FHS, Ancestory, 1901 census and National Archives but have not managed to find the birth or death of this Aunt, however, she is not figments of my imagination, I have photo's of her.
I do not have access to the 1911 census unfortunately.

There is not much else that I can do from here in New Zealand without incurring enormous expense so any help that anyone in this forum can give me will be very much appreciated.
Conclusion of this part of the family history is important to us (few,  2 in fact) remaining descendants and may help to lay a ghost (skeleton) in our family cupboard.

If any further information is needed by any of you folk in this forum please eMail me on :- (*)

Do the obvious with that string whilst not overlooking the underscore, I get more than my fare share of spam all ready.

I thank you all in advance. I look forward to your replies with hopeful anticipation.
Regards,       
                     Phil H.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Hickford Fleming Connah Coe Mathew

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Aunt help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil & welcome to RootsChat

I've sent you a PM (Personal Message)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wiltshire Det

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 August 17 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I have just joined this forum.  I am currently researching Herbert Connah who was the brother of Lillie Connah.  The reason for researching him is that I am the very proud owner of a poppy from Passchendaele which represents Sargeant Herbert Connah who died on the 12th of October 1917.  The Poppy Appeal have made poppies out of the fuses collected from the battle field and the red centre has been mixed with soil from the battle field too.  Each poppy represents one fallen solider and it comes with a certificate and I was allocated "Bert" as I have lovingly named him.  I feel very attached to Bert even though he's not my family.  The certificate tells me where he is laid to rest and I have found the War Memorial he is listed on.  If you would like any more information that I have collected so far please let me know and anything you can tell me would be just wonderful.  Thank you so much.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 August 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.  I have asked a Moderator to move your post to a more appropriate forum.

Oops!!  I've just reread your message  :-[

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 August 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Wiltshire Det, Welcome to RootsChat

Phil has just been notified of your reply, I am sure he will be very pleased to hear from you.

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk