Author Topic: Breakout from Kilkenny Jail  (Read 27644 times)

Offline TLB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Breakout from Kilkenny Jail
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 October 10 07:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your info. Certain bits and pieces are now falling into place, 'still around are wanted men' explains why Michael and Paul had to get out of Ireland, Paul to the States and Michael to England ( he only ever returned once with his daughter). Talking with the family, the feeling is whilst along with my father, Jeremiah, they were all members of the 3rd Tipperary Brigade , we believe 5th Battalion, that during the Civil War, Michael & Paul joined the other side in the mistaken belief that my father had joined them, infact he had gone to England.
I have recently got a photo of the members  of the 3rd Tipperary Brigade( 5th Battalion ) taken the day before the attack on Kickham Barracks and am now trying to identify family members also need to do some research into 3rd Tipperary Brigade, anyone any ideas.
Byrne, Whelan, Sweeney. Marlfield & Clonmel
Cullen,  Breen.  New Ross
Hambrook, Essex
Broughton, London
Cole, London
Mills, London

Offline tomahurra

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 October 10 10:11 BST (UK) »
The witness statement a good starting point as the statements were collected from every county. Tipperary Library might have information

http://www.tipperarylibraries.ie/BureauofMilitaryHistory.shtml

http://www.military.ie/dfhq/archives/documents/The%20Bureau%20of%20Military%20History1913-1921%20Index%20to%20Contributors.pdf

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 October 10 11:16 BST (UK) »
I would have thought that most of the men would have left Ireland with new names.  The rest of their relatives who have suffered because of this. 
Austraila News reported this as well.  Jan 1921 Father Delahunty RC Curate, Parish of Callan, Kilkenny, found guitly of possession of seditious documents, given two years hard labour.
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au

Have you written to The New York Times?

Offline TLB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 October 10 14:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks, regretably New York Times article is not complete and I understand only small fragment of the article now exists.
We know during the troubles family were using a lot of alias's, in fact my father used to tell the story that when he was picked up by the Black and Tans , who were looking for Gerry Byrne , he told them his name was Henry O'Broin which was the name on his Baptismal cert. and they let him go. We have never known the reason for this name on his BC in actual fact his name is Jeremiah Joseph Byrne. It could have been something to do with my Grandfather who we know was very active in the IRA , in fact it seems to be a family trait to change names as we have established that my great grandfather, who was transported changed his name.
I am now in touch with the archivist of the Tipperary Brigade and hope to get some other info.
Hambrook, Essex
Broughton, London
Cole, London
Mills, London

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
This may be to early for what the time period you are interested. I don't know how widely it is available.

Recollections of the Fight for Irish Freedom
Author: Sean Fitzpatrick
Publisher:  3rd Tipperary Brigade Old IRA Commemoration
Year:  n/a

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 11:13 BST (UK) »
Books and articles written:  Interment by a John McGuffin 1973 it says on his site they write the books that no one esle will.  He writes 43 men tunnelled their way out including Michael Burke of Glengoole who had servived a 90day hunger strike in a cork jail.
http://Http://www.irishrestancebooks.com

Please be careful, after all you are looking for IRA men.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 11:54 BST (UK) »
Do you use the search eng. google.
www.google.com
when the box comes up type in - 3rd Tipperary Brigade OR 3rd Tipperary Brigade 5th Battalion
OR Photos of 3rd Tipperary Brigade

You can find lots of information going through google.

also the 3rd Tipperary Brigade is on the Michael Collins site.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 11:56 BST (UK) »
missed a bit - in Feb 1922 Kickham Barracks were taken over by Commandant Dalton commander of the 5th Battalion of the 3rd Tipperary Brigade.

Offline TLB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rathmore, we do use Google and all the sites mentioned have already been searched.
Archivist at Tipperary Brigades is currently searching records, which are not complete by any means. We are not sure to which Brigade they belonged, we had assumed it was the 5th Battalion 3rd Brigade  as we have a photo of the 5th Battalion in which we have identified an uncle but they possibly my have belonged to one of the flying columns which is going to make more difficult to trace.
Hambrook, Essex
Broughton, London
Cole, London
Mills, London