Author Topic: The "Ryan Shone" family of North Tipp  (Read 5409 times)

Offline Ted_1925

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The "Ryan Shone" family of North Tipp
« on: Saturday 02 October 10 14:19 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the locality of a Ryan family in North Tipp that were known as the "Ryan Shones." (Pronounced "show-in.")

I believe they were from the Newport area but might have connections in Rearcross. My great-great grandfather was Thady (Timothy) Ryan Shone, who married Mary Carney in Castleconnell, Co. Limerick, in 1882. He was living in the townland of Coolreiry, Castleconnell at the time. Castleconnell is only a stone's throw from Newport and the Limerick/Tipp border. Thady's father's name was Michael Ryan.

Thady was a labourer and his father Michael was a farmer. I've been told that Thady worked on the Powell farm in Newport. The Powells were Protestants.

Offline cwood91262

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The "Ryan Shone" family of North Tipp
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 11 10:14 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 Powell farms in that Newport area that would have qualified.  One was in Derryleigh townland, the other in Annaholty townland.  Both were essentially owned by James Powell and his wife Charlotte.  James died in 1900, Charlotte in 1899.  Annaholty then was the home of James son, James, and his 2nd wife, Catherine Mulcahy.  It is still occupied today by his great grandson.  Derryleigh was where James Sr lived for most of his married life with Charlotte, but today is occupied by a great nephew of James, Baden Powell.  The house in Derryleigh basically sat unoccupied following the death of Charlotte, though the acreage was farmed by the family, until Baden's father took it over in the early 1930s.  I'm guessing, just based on proximity to Castleconnell, you want the farm in Annaholty.  It was close enough to the Castleconnell area that Henry, the son of James Powell and Catherine Mulcahy used to walk the distance, and was in fact killed when he was trying to cross the road there at Daly's Cross.

The farm in Annaholty was actually originally owned by the father of Charlotte Keays Powell, Thomas Keays.  Following Thomas' death in 1892, the property went to his son, George Keays, but when George then died in 1896, it became the property of George's widow, Maria Ardill Keays.  Maria remarried, to James Powell in 1897, but she died in 1899, leaving James with the property.  Given that Thomas Keays was the maternal grandfather of James Powell though, I guess you could say it was still all in the family.

Feel free to contact me if you would like any addition info!

Cindy Wood
Tipperary, Limerick
Powell, Keas, Keays, Going, Acheson, Bradshaw, Parker, Myles

Offline Tammy Siobhán Meaney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 May 17 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Ted.

I am wondering if your family could have been connected to mine? My Grandfather was Thomas Ryan "Shone" born and rared in Clooncommons which is very close to Coolreiry. There are alot of Ryans in that area that I am related to.

Offline Squilty

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 February 19 06:57 GMT (UK) »
I have a Ryan Shones connection in south tipp. Near limerick junction and going back to 1850 or before. Im not sure how that relates to your  Newport  Ryans. Any thoughts?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 February 19 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ted. In your previous reply you had mentioned Ryan Shone's in the North Tipp area. I am almost certain it is unlikely you will find 2 Ryan families unrelated in the same area with the same nick name. The idea of the nick name was to differentiate one family from another. I have Ryan Shone and Ryan Mick connections. North Tipp could mean Newport, Birdhill or further out. My grandfathers father was Michael Ryan Shone and he was married to Annie Ryan. Michael's father was Patrick and according to the 1901 census he was from Tipperary. I have found a connection to Ryan's in Gouig and they date back into 1700's coming from Cragg Castle in nearby Ballina which again is North Tipp. Do you know any more about the Michael Ryan you refer to?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 16:02 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 Powell farms in that Newport area that would have qualified.  One was in Derryleigh townland, the other in Annaholty townland.  Both were essentially owned by James Powell and his wife Charlotte.  James died in 1900, Charlotte in 1899.  Annaholty then was the home of James son, James, and his 2nd wife, Catherine Mulcahy.  It is still occupied today by his great grandson.  Derryleigh was where James Sr lived for most of his married life with Charlotte, but today is occupied by a great nephew of James, Baden Powell.  The house in Derryleigh basically sat unoccupied following the death of Charlotte, though the acreage was farmed by the family, until Baden's father took it over in the early 1930s.  I'm guessing, just based on proximity to Castleconnell, you want the farm in Annaholty.  It was close enough to the Castleconnell area that Henry, the son of James Powell and Catherine Mulcahy used to walk the distance, and was in fact killed when he was trying to cross the road there at Daly's Cross.

The farm in Annaholty was actually originally owned by the father of Charlotte Keays Powell, Thomas Keays.  Following Thomas' death in 1892, the property went to his son, George Keays, but when George then died in 1896, it became the property of George's widow, Maria Ardill Keays.  Maria remarried, to James Powell in 1897, but she died in 1899, leaving James with the property.  Given that Thomas Keays was the maternal grandfather of James Powell though, I guess you could say it was still all in the family.

Feel free to contact me if you would like any addition info!

Cindy Wood
Hi Cindy, do you know much about the area?

Offline Miker123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 March 21 17:34 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the locality of a Ryan family in North Tipp that were known as the "Ryan Shones." (Pronounced "show-in.")

I believe they were from the Newport area but might have connections in Rearcross. My great-great grandfather was Thady (Timothy) Ryan Shone, who married Mary Carney in Castleconnell, Co. Limerick, in 1882. He was living in the townland of Coolreiry, Castleconnell at the time. Castleconnell is only a stone's throw from Newport and the Limerick/Tipp border. Thady's father's name was Michael Ryan.

Thady was a labourer and his father Michael was a farmer. I've been told that Thady worked on the Powell farm in Newport. The Powells were Protestants.

Offline kreewater

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 April 22 21:28 BST (UK) »
I most certainly believe that this family of "Ryan Shone" is the family of my ancestor.  The identifier of "Shine" was written on the death record of the daughter of a convict to NSW.  Mary Ryan was the daughter of Patrick Ryan, a convict.  When Mary herself died and information was required as to her father, as with many convicts that information was not often given by them.  The person filling out the death record of Mary Ryan was a grandchild so time, distance, newly acquired accents etc may well account for any mis-spelling, misproununctian or even misunderstanding.  In the section which requires Mary's father's details the grandchild has written "Unknown ...Shine". Patrick (to whom this descriptor refers) had been transported for manslaughter as a result of his having hit another fellow with a spade during a scuffle over turbary rights in a littlle place just near Newport.  The family of Ryans of which he was a part, had worked that spot over time and took exception to others interloping. The fellow who died a few days later, as a result of the scuffle was named Patrick Green. I have reason to believe - from anecdotal evidence) that he may have actually been related by marriage to the Ryans!  Timothy Ryan and Dennis Ryan are names which also appear in reports of the incident. I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has a connection the "Ryans Shones" from around that time ..... 1820's or so?  Castleconnell is referenced on a several records involving Patrick himself so I believe we are in the ball park! Patrick had 6 children at the time of transportation....  the Government arranged for them to join their father in NSW a decade later following the death of their mother, so being the children of convicts they no doubt did not speak much of their origins either.  But somehow, at some point, the name "Shine" or "Shone" has been mentioned within the family and an attentive grandchild has picked up on it!  I would be grateful for any information about this family of "Ryan - Shone".  Thank you again.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 April 22 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hello! And many thanks for your query. I have become quite stuck with my Ryan Shone's. My Grandfather was Thomas Ryan born 1905 in Castleconnell - not far from Newport. His Father was a Michael Shone who married an Annie Ryan (Nee Ryan) from Murroe / Cappamore area. Michaels father was Patrick. He is named on the 1901 census and his county of birth is down as "Tipperary" but we have no idea from where. We have no idea who he married or how he came to be in Castleconnell. My Uncle has inherited the land and my Grandfathers house on the land and I am hoping that a planned trip to the solicitors with him regarding the land registry will yield more results.
The name Timothy or "Thady" has appeared in another query from someone also connected to Ryan Shones.