Author Topic: THOMAS CLAYSON 1782 Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom  (Read 10637 times)

Offline debs28

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
THOMAS CLAYSON 1782 Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
« on: Sunday 03 October 10 22:44 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on Thomas Clayson born 1782 Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom.
I would be very grateful for any information you have on him and his family.
debs

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: THOMAS CLAYSON 1782 Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 October 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat

To save duplicate look ups could you post the type of information you already have

Also you have given his place of birth as 2 different counties - which one was he born in???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 October 10 04:07 BST (UK) »
Is this the one who was buried in Harrold on 6 July 1813 age 31? I hope so otherwise I've wasted my time! As Suz says, it helps if you tell us what other information you already have - eg wife, kids etc

The IGI at www.familysearch.org has two marriages in Harrold for a Thomas Clayson in 1803 to Martha Bradshaw and 1811 to Keziah Robinson - it may be the same Thomas as a Martha Clayson age 35 was buried at Harrold on 12 July 1810. It would be useful to check these entries to see what other detail they contain.

Virtually all of Beds baptisms and marriages pre 1813 have been extracted onto the IGI. I can't see a baptism in Beds for him. Perhaps he wasn't baptised in Beds or perhaps his family was non-conformist and he wasn't baptised in the established church. There were Clayson burials in Harrold from 1759 onwards so they were already in the village although the first baptism wasn't until 1805 when there two on the same day, one to Thomas & Martha and the other to Zachariah & Ann*. I can't find any Zachariah Claysons anywhere on the IGI.

The 1803 Muster List for Harrold shows:

Thomas Clason, mason, 21 Class 1 ie men between 17-30
unmarried
Zaccaus Clason, mason, 50, no children under 10, class 4 ie men aged 17-55, married over 30

Zaccheus Clayson aged 84 was buried on 1 Dec 1836 and Ann Clayson aged 60 on 2 Sep 1813

Thomas might have been a son of Zacc and Ann but I can't prove it as I can't find a marriage after Zacc's first wife died
[/i]
Harrold Congregational Church records refer to Claysons, but no mention of Zacc - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A2A/records.aspx?cat=004-x377&cid=-1&Gsm=2008-06-18#-1

The BLARS catalogue at http://blars.adlibsoft.com/ shows that Thomas Clayson was admitted to Harrold Congregation Church in 1811 and died on 6 July 1813, and Zach was a member too edit - but I can't tell if it was senior or junior - possibly the former

I can't see that either Zach or Thomas left wills, although both BLARS and A2A mention other Clayson wills from Harrold, but again no mention of either Zach or Thomas.

At 5 a.m. I'm going back to bed to see if I can sleep this time!

David

* Later - I can't see a marriage of Zachariah and Ann, but the IGI has three marriages of Zaccheus in Harrold - 1779, 1816 and 1822. You need to check the parish register to see if the third one was a widower - the 1816 marriage was to Priscilla, and Zaccheus and Priscilla were in Harrold in 1841, both aged 50.

The 1779 marriage was to Catherine, and she appears to have been buried on 16 May 1780
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline debs28

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 October 10 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
thank you for your help.
The Thomas Clayson I am researching is the Thomas Clayson Married to Martha Bradshaw.
I know they had two children Henry Clayson born 1805 in Harrold, Bedfordshire, England. and William Clayson born 1806 to 1859 in Harrold, Bedfordshire, England. not sure if he had any other children other than these two.
I also know they were married in 1803 in Harrold, Bedfordshire, England. but that is all I do know.
debs

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 October 10 10:41 BST (UK) »
This is more thinking out loud than providing an answer to your question, mainly because without a baptism of Thomas Clayson you need to be looking laterally for any references to Claysons in Harrold.

There seem to have been two separate Clayson families in Harrold:

a)   the ones with the wills and deeds in the A2A reference which I gave you, which family I think looks as follows:
Uriah Clayson married Ruth Fairy at Chellington on 1 May 1735. Both were buried in Harrold, Uriah in Apr 1766 and Ruth on 21 Jan 1791. Children mentioned in Ruth’s will were
-   William who married Catherine Goosey in 1791 at Harrold. No children were named in his will dated 15 Jan 1803
-   Uriah who may have married and lived in Northants as in his brother William’s will a bequest was made to his nephew William Clayson of Easton Maudit (3 miles from Harrold)
-   Esther, who married William Wes(t)ley 28 Nov 1771 at Harrold, and was buried at Harrold on 27 Jun 1810 age 61. So born c1749
-   Hannah who married a Mr Mawby, which marriage I can’t find, but a Hannah Mawby was buried in Harrold in 1811
-   Ruth who married Samuel Ray at Harrold on 25 Dec 1766, so born c1745

There’s a settlement certificate held at BLARS, which I assume to be from the parish of Brafield on the Green, Northants indemnifying the parish of Harrold: Zaccheus Clayson, stonemason, and wife  Catherine  P33/13/1/39  11 Oct 1779. Zaccheus Clayson married Catherine Faulkner at Harrold on 21 Mar 1779. It looks to me as though Zaccheus was from Brafield and they moved to Harrold after the marriage. Catherine was buried on 16 May 1780. It seems as though Zaccheus then married Ann, given the baptism of Lydia aged 15 in 1805, the same day that Thomas’s son Henry was baptised. Why Lydia chose to be baptised I can’t tell. I can’t find the marriage, which might have been in Northants. Ann was buried in Harrold on 2 Sep 1813 aged 60. Zaccheus remarried on 12 Aug 1822 at Harrold to Mary Stratton. She was buried age 66 on 3 Nov 1832, and Zaccheus was buried on 1 Dec 1836 age 84. This ties in well with him being age 50 in the 1803 Muster List, giving a birth in 1752/3, possibly in Brafield on the Green, 7 miles from Harrold.

There appear to be other Claysons born in Harrold judging by the 1841/51 censuses
-   Zaccheus age 50 in 1841, so born 1786-91, a stone mason, with wife Priscilla. Surely the son of Zaccheus also a stone mason
-   Joseph who was buried on 26 Dec 1835 age 47, and who was baptised as an adult on 31 Jan 1819, the son of Zaccheus and Ann. He appears to have married in Harrold in 1811

There’s also a document at BLARS dated 1763 in which John Clayson, mason, of Harrold is a party, relating to a property in Chellington (which is where Uriah above was married). Perhaps connected to Zaccheus the mason; elder brother or even father. And possibly John and Uriah were siblings???

All of the above should be regarded as speculation, and should be checked with the parish register. But in the absence of any other Claysons in Harrold I think it's likely that Thomas was the son of Zaccheus and Ann

Must dash - got to pick up my son from school

David

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 October 10 12:18 BST (UK) »
There's a whole stack of Claysons in Easton Maudit ... 

http://www.rushdenheritage.co.uk/Villages/registers/em-intro.html

... including Uriah baptised age 8 on 4 July 1773, with a note saying son of John & Elizabeth - father had been an Anabaptist

Take a look.  You'll notice a load of my Partridge names in the list.

PS you'll probably find these on FreeReg as well

Regards
John
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline southistle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 October 10 17:20 BST (UK) »
I have done some research on this family for the cousin of a cousin.

This person is descended from Joseph (born abt 1781), son of Zaccheus and Ann, baptised as an adult 31st Jan 1819 in Harrold.

Zac and Ann are probably this couple who married in Emberton, Buckinghamshire

Zaccheus CLAYSON of Harrold and Ann CLAYSON of this parish 5th June 1781

Joseph married at Harrold in 1811 to Mary MORTON. Mary was from Weedon, Northants.
Their daughter Betsy/Elizabeth married in Bedford Register Office 1859 to Thomas BRADSHAW of Odell.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 October 10 19:05 BST (UK) »
The Thomas Bradshaw/Betsy Clayson marriage is mentioned on this topic..

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,266366.0.html

Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 October 10 19:15 BST (UK) »
This person is descended from Joseph (born abt 1781), son of Zaccheus and Ann, baptised as an adult 31st Jan 1819 in Harrold.

Thomas born c 1782 can't be the son of Joseph. Joseph died in 1835 age 47, thus born c1788, and I agree he's the one baptised as an adult in 1819, and who married in 1811. Thomas and Joseph were probably brothers