Author Topic: Help with an abbreviation in the occupation field of the 1841 Guernsey Census  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Mumfy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

There is a James Tiller living at 12 Market Place, St Peter Port in the Guernsey Census for 1841.

I am having difficulty reading and interpreting the abbreviation in the field which follows his name. If anyone can help with this, I'd be very grateful.

He is living with a Judith Tiller where the comment shows "Ind" which is clear enough. And an Edward Tiller with no comment attached.

And if anyone else is interested in this family I'd be pleased to hear from them.

Cheers
Mumfy

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Help with an abbreviation in the occupation field of the 1841 Guernsey Census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 October 10 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Mumfy :)

Difficult to read, but I'd go with "C.W." or less likely "C.N"...in 1851 it looks like the same James Tiller is a Coal Porter.

I've attached a clip in case anyone else wants to have a try at working out what the letters are.

Cheers
Prue

Offline Mumfy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with an abbreviation in the occupation field of the 1841 Guernsey Census
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 October 10 09:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Prue for such a rapid response :D

But part of me isn't certain that these two gentlemen in 1841 and 1851 are the same man... ???

This could be wishful thinking on my part as I have found James Tiller elsewhere in 1851.

Cheers
Mumfy

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 October 10 09:52 BST (UK) »
There's certainly nothing to link the two apart from the coincidence of name, general birthplace, and roundabout age, so you're right to be wary.

I couldn't see any other similar abbreviations in the pages immediately before and after this entry, and I can't think what it would be - nothing obvious springs to mind  :-\

Offline Mumfy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 October 10 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi again

The James I have followed from 1851, though he eludes me in 1871, is a baker. But this hardly looks like an 'A' for apprentice, does it?

Cheers
Ruth