Author Topic: The Radio Ham  (Read 11120 times)

Offline cecile

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Radio Ham
« on: Monday 04 October 10 11:13 BST (UK) »
A Gt. Uncles son (or possibly step son - we are not sure) was a radio ham during world war 2. I think he lived in Colwyn Bay in Wales and the story goes that he was on his radio and he picked up signals from a German submarine. Apparently he reported this and we presume the submarine was caught or tracked down or whatever. I wondered if this sort of thing would have been reported in the newspapers or would it have been kept 'hushed up'.

I dint know a great deal about this young man other than his name was Norman his father (or step father) was John Edward Thomas so I assume Normans surname was Thomas. Norman eventually went on to train sheep dogs and they were sent all over the world - apparently.   I would like to know a little more about Norman if anyone knows how I go about it. Sorry its all rather vague.

Many thanks
Cecile

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Radio Ham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 October 10 22:50 BST (UK) »
No idea if this would have been reported in the newspapers, but a nightmare to find unless you have an idea of when, rather than just "during the war".

To get some facts you'd need his birth, marriage or death certs.  But as Thomas is a very common name in Wales that might prove tricky too.  If he was a stepson, he wouldn't have the same surname, unless he'd been adopted by his stepfather.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 October 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hello

If you could find the marriage of John Edward Thomas and Norman's Mother, it may provide a link to Norman's surname. This would make it easier to find anything that may exist about Norman in archives.

Offline cecile

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 October 10 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for that - however, this is where it gets a bit complicated!!
John James Thomas was 'a bit of a lad' apparently.  He was from Anglesey originally and married a lady called Catherine Williams but he left her and moved to Colwyn Bay where he 'married' a widow (don't know her name or if he ever got divorced - its doubtful) and the story goes that she died and he 'married again' another widow also called Catherine. Everyone assumes that Norman is from the second 'marriage' but unfortunately we don't know his mothers name. I know it is all very vague but thought I would ask Roots for advice. Over the years I have had the merest information about something and good old Roots have always come up with the answers.  Of course this is during the war and more important things were happening so its understandable.

Sorry - got his name wrong!! It is  John James Thomas  not John Edward Thomas and he was born in Anglesey 23rd. February 1872 son of William and Elizabeth Thomas

Many thanks anyway.
Cecile

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 October 10 00:08 BST (UK) »
Ok, Cecile
I think I've found Norman for you!

http://www.byegones.co.uk/old_colwyn_map.html

Extract: "Groes Bach which has recently been refurbished and back to its old glory. In my youth Norman Thomas lived there with his father. Norman was our milkman and brought the milk in churns in the back of an old green van, dipped the ladles into the churn and delivered it to the waiting jug in either half pint or pint measures. Norman Thomas was world famous for his expertise in both the rearing and training of Welsh Collie sheepdogs and he could be seen most days training them on the field adjacent to the farm and on which there are now office buildings. "

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 October 10 00:16 BST (UK) »
this thread may be related to your request:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=128754.0

carolburns hasn't been on rootschat since June 2009 but it may still be worth sending her a PM  :)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 October 10 00:25 BST (UK) »
This website mentions JOHN JAMES THOMAS, born on 23 Feb 1872, RHOSNEIGR, ANGLESEY NORTH WALES; married MARY WILLIAMS, on 23 Jul 1893; died COLWYN BAY.

http://thetiesthatbindburnsandthomas.webs.com/thomaswilliamsfamily.htm

Offline cecile

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 October 10 10:47 BST (UK) »
This is good information about Norman - many thanks for that. I will see if I can find out anything else.

I did contact carolburns a few years ago but at the time, she too had come up against a brick wall as far a Norman was concerned.  I have tried to contact her many times since, but not had any reply.

Anyway, THANK YOU for what we have to-day.

Best wishes

Cecile

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 October 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
You're welcome  :D
Have you thought of contacting RSGB (Radio Amateurs society) to see if they can help?
http://www.rsgb.org/