Author Topic: Sergeant John Reid  (Read 3654 times)

Offline Oboran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sergeant John Reid
« on: Monday 04 October 10 15:11 BST (UK) »
Seeking information on Sergeant John Reid of the 48th Foot, born in Birr, King's County, Ireland, in April 1798, died 7 May 1872 at 7 Park Hills Steet, Bury, Lancashire, England.  He married Mary Ann Parkes (1807-1865), an Australian convict, on 24 December 1827 at Bellary Chapelry, Kamataka, India.  He was released from military service in 1838 for reasons of health.  In 1841 he was living at Ramsey, Isle of Man, then moved to Manchester and finally to Bury, Lancashire, where he operated a store and shoe shop.  While living at Tottington, Lancashire, his daughter Henrietta Mona Reid (1848-1932) met Thomas Schofield (1826-1898), Master Dyer at the Manchester Woolen Mills, and later migrated with the Schofield family to America, settling in Utah.  Henrietta Mona became a polygamous (Mormon) wife of Thomas Schofield.  Thomas and Henrietta Mona were my great-grandparents.  Any information welcomed, but especially interested in parents of John Reid.(photo of John Reid)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sergeant John Reid
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 October 10 15:56 BST (UK) »
Not sure what sort of information you are looking for now and there are several threads about this John Reid. Have you seen them all and followed any of the suggestions?

Thread on Offaly board-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,112170.msg2669273.html#msg2669273

Thread on Australia board-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,448072.msg3103598.html#msg3103598

Thread on Lancashire board-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,448080.msg3103640.html#msg3103640
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline riceBA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 May 18 16:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help!

Since you are related to Henrietta, do you know any other information for her brothers William Henry Reid, Albert Edwin Reid? Did they ever marry or do you know their death dates?

Thanks so much. Have a great day!
Brianne

Offline Oboran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 May 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
Children of John Reid and Mary Ann Parkes:

Edward Reid b. 22 Dec 1830 Bellary, Karnataka, Madras, India d. 24 Sept 1855 Rose Grove,
     Habergham Eaves, Burnley, Lancashire, England md Eliza Roberts (1829-1872)
William Henry Reid b. Feb 1841 Ramsey, Isle of Man, d. March 1842 Ramsey, Isle of Man
Alfred Edwin Reid b. 1843 Ramsey, Ayre, Isle of Man d. Oct 1914 Bury, Lancashire, England md.
     Matilda Hoyle (1844-1921)
Henrietta Mona Reid b. 11 Feb 1848 Ramsey, Ayre, Isle of Man d. 29 July 1932 Manila, Daggett, Utah
     md. Thomas Lorenzo Schofield (1826-1898)

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
  • 4 Generations of Strong Women
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 May 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
Brianne  there are lots of descendents of this John Reid. Can you tell us how you are related to him. Sue
Ps William Reid died as an infant on the Isle of Man.
Westmoreland -Farrer,Thompson,Park,Wharton,Airey
Lancs  Farrer ,Thompson,Clarke,Brewer,Reid,Howarth,Feast,Sladen,Southern

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast

Offline riceBA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 July 18 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hello,

John Reed is my x5 great grandfather. I am related to Mona Henrietta Reid, Henrietta Schofield, Raymond Willard Fotheringham and Willard Fotheringham is my grandpa. Thanks for all the information about family. I love researching about family members and finding out more about them.

Take care,
Brianne

Offline riceBA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 July 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Sue and Oborn,

Do you know if the son Alfred went by Albert at all? One of the records that I have shows that they have a son that was named Albert and was born in 1844. When looking at what was posted you guys were saying that Alfred was born in 1843. I'm not sure if what I found was just a typo, but want to be sure to have the correct information. Do you have a birth record or something? Thanks so much for your help!

For his wife, Matilda, do you know her parent's names? Reuben Hoyle and Alice by chance? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline riceBA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 July 18 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hey,

I found out that Edward Reid had 3 children (at least that I could find). Ellinor Reade (1850 Chr Benares, Bengal, India), Lucy Edward (1853 in Agra, Bengal, India), and Margaret Edward Reade (1855 in Agra, Bengal, India).

Take care.

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
  • 4 Generations of Strong Women
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 July 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Branne
Alfred Edwin is wrongly transcribed as Albert . He married Matilda Hoyle in 1875. She was the widow of John Hoyle. See 1881 census where she is with her children Sarah and Thomas Hoyle. Their children were Henrietta Mona 25 Jan 1876 and Alfred Grime Reid 1879.
William probably died as a small child on Isle of Man as there are newspaper reports of the death of the infant child of John Reid chief constable of Ramsey. William also had a private baptism which suggests he was probably sickly.
Edward is my great great grand father . He married Eliza Roberts 1 Jan 1854 in Bury Lancashire and was shortly afterwards appointed Station Master at Rose Grove Burnley.
Unfortunately he got typhoid and died age 24 in Sept 1855. His only son Edward was born posthumously. This Edward had 10 children and there is a family story that he was contacted by his aunt( Henrietta Mona )as she wanted to return to England in early 1900s. Of course he had no money to send her. Sue.
If you want more info send me a PM.
Westmoreland -Farrer,Thompson,Park,Wharton,Airey
Lancs  Farrer ,Thompson,Clarke,Brewer,Reid,Howarth,Feast,Sladen,Southern

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast