Author Topic: gunmakers in dublin  (Read 7135 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: gunmakers in dublin
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 11:26 BST (UK) »
The OCR process used to digitize the Irish Times (and other online sources) is carried out automatically, and is never 100% accurate. This is used as it is far less labour intensive than a full manual transcription. Since the search engine uses this transcription to gather key-words used for a search there are going to be omissions and inaccuracies in searches. Also as the process is carried out by computer little context or importance can be derived for an article or phrase during the process.

In an ideal world a manual index would be created using human input, as in Quaxer's work, and this would be combined with the images and OCR data. Scanning the data by hand means that useful information is collected for the index based on human input. 

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 21 October 10 16:45 BST (UK) »
Dermo, even as one who could not be listed as a computer lover, I am in complete agreement with you about the convenience being in the same position as regards access. Your comment about the front end is very true. Often, have I examined surrounding material to my target and this has set my mind in another direction  to greater profit, especially when I have hit the legendary brick wall.
Shane, perhaps you             could oblige me by telling me (PM?) what the imperfection is in OCR in layman's language. Almost total mayhem was revealed last December ,so much so that I wondered why anybody bothered. It cannot be blamed entirely upon the poor microfilm as I have proof of that. Addresses could not be found None of the 40 odd entries I have for No.51 Dawson Street turned up  and an entrybfor No.53 High Street (SDU Dispensary) told me that Prince Napoleon had a relapse!!

Regards    Quaxer

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 October 10 17:06 BST (UK) »
OCR is a system for converting images into text to allow searching by text or key words. The process attempts to replicate the human processes involved in reading - both the optical system and the brain processing with regard to interpreting the images as letters and then words. The actual process generally works by first breaking down an image into lines and individual cells - each containing a single character, and then attempting to match the cell image with an individual letter, number or punctuation mark etc.

The process has good success with with standard print fonts and good quality images.. but does not always cope very well with changing fonts mid-document, poor quality images and varying layouts (as in a newspaper with multiple columns).

An example of an every day OCR process which generally works well is the line of code at the bottom of your cheques and lodgement slips in the 1970s style computer writing. This is read automatically by a small scanner on the clerks desk in the bank and saves retyping your account details. The style of text was deliberately chosen as being the easiest to read by the OCR technology available at the time, and as a result is very reliable.

Reliable OCR requires considerable 'intelligence' and it, along with speech recognition, are considered challenging in computer terms. The technology is improving all the time but will probably never quite match the skill of a human eye and brain in terms of deciphering difficult to read images, due to the background knowledge and context details which a person can apply to the problem.

edit : In smaller projects (e.g. a document of several pages, or a few pages from a book) an initial proof conversion is provided to the user to cross-check. Any sections which were considered suspect by the OCR process are highlighted for operator to examine and correct if nessecary. In addition the usual spell checking tools may be used to highlight any other issues. Due to the large scale of the Irish Times project and the labour intensive nature of the work, I suspect that this Quality Assurance (QA) stage was probably limited by budget.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 22 October 10 00:15 BST (UK) »
Shane

Many thanks

Quaxer

Offline Gerry P Cahill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 12:23 BST (UK) »
My mother's maiden name was O'Brien and we lived for a considerable number of years at 41 Oakley Road. Her father was Thomas O'Brien - son of Robert, I believe.  Thomas was married to Mary Gertrude Gerrard.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 15:35 BST (UK) »
Thomas O'Brien 14 Oakley Road married Mary Gerrard on the 8 Aug 1894 but his father was Robert a gunmaker
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1894/10571/5851066.pdf

This is also posted on the other thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=773616.0

Best to stick to one thread.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 15:38 BST (UK) »
Already another thread running on same subject!!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=773616.0
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry hallmark,
My wifi is acting up cos I'm in the garden I had to post before I'd finished or lose what I was writing, that's why the link to the other thread wasn't there when you were posting it, than I didn't see your post when I was adding it.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 15:51 BST (UK) »
No problem, it just saves people looking for stuff that has already been posted elsewhere.....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.