Author Topic: gunmakers in dublin  (Read 7117 times)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: gunmakers in dublin
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
Quaxer

That's very useful information.  Thanks for your trouble.   Not sure yet if Patrick O'Brien of 11 Charlemont St is related but think he probably is, given Shane's earlier reply.  The Oakley Rd O'Briens definitely are related.  I have the record of William's burial  and that of Alicia O'Brien from the Glasnevin Trust website, which is excellent, but I do not know the maiden name of Thomas Alphonsus's wife.  I know her christian names were Mary Gertrude.  Does the Irish Times notice give her surname?

Dermo
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 October 10 23:51 BST (UK) »
Dermo

For possible copyright complications ,I regret that I cannot go beyond the details that I have already supplied to you.

Regards     Quaxer

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 October 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
Quaxer

Understood.  Thanks for the information in any event.

Dermo
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
Quaxer

Further to your recent post, I discovered one can take out a 24 hour subscription to the Irish Times digital archive and found a number of relatives' death notices.  However, my experience prompts a couple of questions you might be able to answer.  The quality of the images for some of the older editions of the IT is poor, especially on the left-hand side of page 1 where the birth, marriage and death notices are.  Do you know if it is possible to consult original copies and, if so, where?
The other thing I found was that browsing by date was more successful than searching by keyword.  There doesn't seem to be a way of searching for an exact match on, e.g. a name.  Normally to do this you put quotes around the search words.  Doing this on the IT site still produced a lot of results based on part of the search terms not the exact phrase (e.g. searching for O'Brien produced results based on the "O'" with lots of references to "o'clock").  Have you any tips to offer on achieving a better result?

Regards

Dermo

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 11:35 BST (UK) »
The National Library in Dublin have many newspapers on microfilm and binder format, including the Irish Times

I suspect the poor image quality at some of the edges is due to scan being done while in binders.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 12:04 BST (UK) »
On the search issues... I believe that the search engine on the Irish Times archives website only allows for keyword searches, so phrase searches are not allowed for. That may explain why your O'Brien search gave the results you mentioned as it was treated at two keywords O and Brien. I would try just Brien, without the O'.

I have found the best way to look for references in the BMD section is just to use the surname and the word Deaths. If you know an occupation or house/street name try adding that also. The index used by the search is based on OCR (Optical Character Recognition) processing of the images, so is not always accurate or complete. If you know approximate dates it always a good idea to manual scan the BMD section to double check.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 17:29 BST (UK) »
Shane

Many thanks.  Will bear your advice in mind.

Dermo

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 23:33 BST (UK) »
Dermo

When Shane mentioned that Last December the Irish Times was available  on line gratis for a limited period I had  a look and checked some of the entries I made . Suffice it to say that I felt more than justified in doing the 42 years manually. Firstly having suffered computers for nearly 40 years unlike so many others I am not a member of the cult of worshipers. I started my project in 1994 and somehow knew that the computer was not always the giant leap forward but often sideways. The problems of reading the BMDs are not surprising as the guttering would distort the text and frequently I had to use a magnifying loupe turned at an angle to decipher the text, aided by other clues.
I freely admit that I have but alimited knowledge of computers but am suspicious about the quality of the search engine.My searches last December made me believe that the fault does not lie only with the image but I do not wish to appear as adamant on this.                                        Regards   Quaxer

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 11:18 BST (UK) »
Quaxer

I understand your reservations about search engines. Whatever about the technicalities underlying them, the front ends often seem designed with no appreciation of the fact that users mostly come to the search with clues and hints and need plenty of search options in ferreting out the information.  On the plus side though, online access to information is a massive boon for someone, like me, who is more remote from the physical records.

Regards

Dermo