Author Topic: Thomas Rankin New Orleans  (Read 4497 times)

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Rankin New Orleans
« on: Tuesday 05 October 10 11:26 BST (UK) »
Thomas Rankin b. Donegal - Prob. Inishowen 1810 left Ireland 1839 arrived New York June 15 1839 aboard Caledonia out of Londonderry occupation Druggist.  Went from there to Mexico - Vera Cruz - but was in New Orleans, Louisiana Sept 1840 where he was about to start work with a Drug house at $1000 a year.  I have found him, I think in 1850 still in New Orleans married to Ann possibly Murphy with a son Thomas William Rankin his occupation is as a Druggist.  I can find no trace of him or his son or his wife beyond this point but I have a copy of a letter he wrote to his cousin in Carndonagh Donegal in Sept. 1840 and a poem he wrote abt 1833 about two other cousins as well as another family letter than implies he was a bit of a rogue.

I know it is a vain hope but if there is anyone out there who are researching the Rankin family in the US or has happened accross him  and knows what happened to him or his family I should be really interested and obviously can give them considerable details of his family in Ireland not to mention the letter and poem which are fascinating.

regards sarenid

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rankin New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Sarenid,

Came across an entry for a Mary Rankin born 1854 New Orleans Louisiana - parents Thomas Rankin and Murphy  ??? Thomas Murphy of Longton. Derry. Ireland

Married Charles T Wilkinson and died 1938 River Forest. Cook.  Illinois.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/09y4/

and this entry with the family listed which would give a contact (if it isn't you) Although it has'nt been updated since 2004.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/09y5/

Regards
Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra that is brilliant - No it isn't me but it gives me a contact to find out what happened to Thomas - when I couldn't find any further reference to them I had this awful feeling they died -  he had a morbid side to him:-

"I am happy to say that up to this time we have not had a case of yellow fever, which this time last year was making fearful ravages.  I feel comparatively secure having had it before, but tho I should be removed it will wind up a vexatious life and end my zigzag wanderings." Thomas Rankin 1840.

I have emailed unfortunately it bounced back. Any way I have a new line of research.  Thanks again.

regards
Sarenid

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Sarenid,

Since I posted, also found a family tree with Mary Rankin listed. Goes under Calhoun family (username Houner)  Unfortunately the last log in was over 6 months ago but could be worth a try.

I found a Mary Rankin on the 1870 Census St Louis Ward 9, St Louis, Missouri
Ann Murphy/Rankin was aged 30 years on the 1850 Census but (apart from the age being out) the thought crosses the mind - could that be Ann remarried in 1870  ???

Charles Williamson 30 Born NY. Salesman in paperhouse.
Ann Williamson 42 Born England
Fanny Rankin 16 Born Louisiana
Mary Rankin 15 Born Louisiana
Charles Williamson 18 Born Louisiana

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 15:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Sandra - I think this is really possible especially as Fanny was Thomas Rankin's mother's name - She was born Fanny Cary married Samuel Rankin so it is likely that the daughter would have been named after his mother.

I have also been looking at family trees there seems to be quite a lot which include Mary Murphy Rankin so I will give that a go.

would you be interested in the letter if so send a personal message and I will email it to you - it has fascinating detail of a man's first impression of USA and Mexico.

regards
Sarenid

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Sarenid,

Thank you very much, that will be interesting. My fingers are crossed, it sounds like you are going on an exciting journey - it would appear some of the personal tree entries have a photograph described as portrait of Mary Rankin Murphy.

Wishing you the very best of luck
Sandra

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 11:21 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know I yesterday found through family trees a 3xgr granddaughter of Thomas Rankin through his son Robert Murphy Rankin born 1852 in New Orleans who moved to St Louis Missouri in 1866. My 3rd or is it 4th cousin, Thomas Rankin was my 3xgr grandmother's 1st cousin.  I found some baptism records in New Orleans for Thomas's children which include a Fanny Ann Jane bapt. 1854.  It would seem therefore that Thomas died between 1855 and 1870 with ann rankiin remarrying and presumably moving to Missouri.  According to Bio details on thomas's 3x gr granddaughter's tree it would seem Robert Murphy moved to Missouri around 1866.  Presumably after the civil war.

Hopefully she will be as fascinated by the letter as I am.

Many thanks for your help Sandra as I don't think I would have got there without it.  I am not sure how I can get you a copy of the letter if you want it perhaps you would advise?

Regards Sarenid

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Sarenid,

This is good news - I have seen an entry for Robert this morning which says he was married in Missouri in 1870 to Columbia M Guitard  - so that tied in with Fanny and Mary also in Missouri.  If you require further details from Census etc. We would be pleased to oblige where we can.

Regards
Sandra

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 12:16 BST (UK) »
I don't think this has been mentioned, and possibly you don't have this information...
A Columbia M Rankin died 28 Nov 1894.  There is someone with that name buried in Calvary Cemetery:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/09ye/
Possibly some of the other Rankins are family members?

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)