Author Topic: HALL/MADDEN/IRWIN/IRVINE - Co. Tyrone  (Read 5041 times)

Offline jbhistory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HALL/MADDEN/IRWIN/IRVINE - Co. Tyrone
« on: Tuesday 05 October 10 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi. Im trying to find more about my Hall/Madden family from Tyrone. William Hall married Mary Madden about 1831 in Tyrone. They had 1 son Albert born Ireland and then moved to Coatbridge Scotland where they had more children. One of which was Elestra Hall b1942. Unusual name and finding it hard to find her. Williams' family had the name Irvine and I think he had a sister Alicia Ann. Mary Maddens' mothers' maiden name was Irwin. I would be most grateful for any info and perhaps to get in touch with distant family in Ireland. p.s. I'm in Glasgow area. Thanx

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HALL/MADDEN/IRWIN/IRVINE - Co. Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 14:15 BST (UK) »
"Elestra" Hall's name is possibly Electra.

Unfortunately the dates you have are before the start of civil registration in Ireland and you need both their religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland) to find any surviving church records. See Introduction to Irish Records-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,442233.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jbhistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 18:43 BST (UK) »
Thanx - will try that.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 August 12 12:55 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 01:19 BST (UK) »
Is this a Protestant family? Madden in Tyrone is usually Catholic but Hall and Irwin/Irvine are mostly Protestant.

I have done some research on Protestant Madden family in south Clonfeacle near the Armagh border. Hall and Irwin aren't common in that part of Clonfeacle but are very common in neighbouring Loughgall. That Madden family as well as the nearby Hall and Irwin families have some distinctive naming patterns. If you have enough names then I might be able to tell you if it looks plausible.

If you have the family's occupations in Scotland as well as their fathers' occupations from Scottish death records then that could help with geography.

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 December 12 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Is this a Protestant family? Madden in Tyrone is usually Catholic but Hall and Irwin/Irvine are mostly Protestant.

I have done some research on Protestant Madden family in south Clonfeacle near the Armagh border. Hall and Irwin aren't common in that part of Clonfeacle but are very common in neighbouring Loughgall. That Madden family as well as the nearby Hall and Irwin families have some distinctive naming patterns. If you have enough names then I might be able to tell you if it looks plausible.

If you have the family's occupations in Scotland as well as their fathers' occupations from Scottish death records then that could help with geography.

Hello - your reference to some hall families in Tyrone has given me some hope that there might be away of finding a reference to the lives, or the marriage of Alexander Hall and Susan Smythe in the early 1820s. Their daughter Sarah Hall was baptised in Donaghmore, Tyrone on 16 Feb 1824, but the family may then have moved, as I dont have baptism records of Sarah's sisters Mary and Jane. Sarah Mary and Jane all moved to Australia between 1850 and 1860.  Is Donaghmore near Loughall?
Thank you, fingers  crossed!
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline lauraga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 June 18 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Not sure if this will be seen as it's an old thread....I am also researching this family - Wm Hall and Mary Madden are my 3rd great grandparents. You mentioned Elestra Hall -- I am wondering if this is the Alicia Ann that you referred to?

btw, I am in Canada.

Laura

Offline jbhistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Laura, I believe that Alicia Ann was William Halls sister as we have a family bible with inscription from Alicia Ann to her brother William. Elestra is a nightmare to find. I can only find her on the 1851 census in Coatbridge, Scotland. You can email me at - (*) to discuss further. I’d love to share info.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline lauraga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 June 20 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

PM me your email address and I will reply.

My 2nd ggf is William James Hall and granddaughter Helen was my paternal grandmother. She was born in Maryhill.

Would be nice to see our connection as I don’t have a lot of knowledge of this side of the family.

Laura