Author Topic: Avonbridge/Stein  (Read 28752 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Avonbridge/Stein
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 October 10 22:18 BST (UK) »
Brilliant photo James.What wouldn't I give for a family photo like that.It gives me a great sense of what it looked like there at the time.You know your folks must have known mine at that time,it's not exactly overpopulated.

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 October 10 22:24 BST (UK) »
I had two Aunts who lived in Avonbridge at that time and they would most certainly know each other. My aunt
Rose standing in the doorway of that photo was the Music  Teacher in Avonbridge. (Piano and Accordian ) and
lived just off the main street.

James.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 October 10 22:29 BST (UK) »
No way,apparently my mother was taught to play the piano.Could it be your aunt actually taught her.This site is amazing.

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 October 10 22:33 BST (UK) »
If your mother was taught to play piano in Avonbridge between about 1925 & 1970 ish then she would be taught by my Aunt Rose.

James.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 October 10 22:38 BST (UK) »
1940's/50's so I guess she most certainly was.It's a small world isn't it.

George.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 October 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
I was born in that house in 1941 and my Aunt Rose played at all the local dances in the halls, plus the Organ in Church before, and after I was born.

James.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 October 10 23:01 BST (UK) »
I was told that my grandfather James,was something to do with the church,warden perhaps? so he would definately have known your aunt Rose.

George.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 October 10 23:06 BST (UK) »
Everyone I spoke to today knew your family, as soon as I said Stein, "Oh Aye Jimmy Stein" then they would tell me about them. It was just the same back then, even more so because times were so hard you had to rely on each other. You will learn all this when you get here.

James.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 10 October 10 23:10 BST (UK) »
Can't wait.It's like a voyage of discovery.

George.