Author Topic: Avonbridge/Stein  (Read 28703 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Avonbridge/Stein
« Reply #45 on: Friday 29 October 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
Laughing out loud Skoosh,especially as I seem to remember a cartoon comic called The Broons.I started off following my Wardlaw line but find I am awash with Broons.I have Broons popping up all over the place.In fact I seem to have Broons in every toon.Still made up with the photo from Forester above.I was baptised in the church on the right,and no that is not me being taken home after in the pony and trap.

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline The Forester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 31 October 10 06:35 GMT (UK) »

I've got a bit more info about Snabhead for you, Seoras:

In the second half of the 20th century, and perhaps for some time previously, it was farmed and lived in by Jimmy Watson.  He was still on the go as recently as the 1990s.  His two sons later took over the farm and squeezed him out in less than pleasant circumstances.

I've confirmed my earlier guess that the original cottage was razed and the present structure was built on its footprint.

Offline The Forester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 31 October 10 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Mosstrooper's picture of Crossroads intrigues me.

What is the name of the Cottage, as displayed over the doorway?

Was this building on the South side of the Crossroads? Or was it where the dog boarding kennels now are?

Family tradition used to say that "we had relatives at Crossroads", but I've got little more to go on other than a single entry in the marriage register of GG-Grandmother Janet in 1855.  She is shown as normally living at Greenhill, but presently living at Crossroads.  I presume this was a temporary arrangement as both bride and groom lived at Greenhill and there's a tradition that groom should not see bride on the evening before or the morning of the wedding until she walks down the aisle, though it may be that her parents lived there.

Relevant surnames are Johnston; Fleming and Binnie.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 31 October 10 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forester,thanks again for the photo.I have had some lovely colouring jobs done on it by the kind folk on here,you should take a look on the restore and colouring site(it's under 'my Scottish village').Mosstrooper tells me that this cottage is no longer there but it was on the south side I think across from where the kennels are.I should send him a personal message,he is very helpful and went out of his way to get me some photographs and information.The girl in the doorway is his aunt and in an amazing coincidence we reckon that she probably taught my mother to play piano.

ps.just seen the info about Snabhead.Thanks for that.It seems a lot of these original buldings are no more but at least I now know where it was.

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 31 October 10 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Forrester,
                  This building was on the South side of the road at Crossroads, today it is just a fenced off clump of trees the deeds to which still remain in the family. The cottage which stood where the Kennels are now was occupied by Mrs. Peddie I believe who ran a wee sweetie shop out of her kitchen door.

The name above my Aunt Rose pictured in 1928 is Sorn Cottage, see photo. I was born in this building. Next to the cottage is a two story building, My Grandfather and Granny moved in there with Aunt Rose and her husband Arthur Brannan in the top flat and Granny below on ground level, both levels were connected at one time because I remember a closed off staircase inside. The Sorn Cottage was then occupied by Johnny and Jenny Scally who emigrated to Portland Oregon in 1951. Next to these buildings on the same plot of land was a cottage (derelict) called Unionside and further down the road toward Avonbridge was a cottage called Badour, Jock McGlyn from Limerigg has just bought and cleared this plot hoping to build a house there again.

The names , Johnston, Fleming and Binnie are familiar to me, especially Fleming who I believe lived in the Castellated type house up the hill from the Kennels, this I believe was the Gatehouse to a Mansion in the trees called either Parkneuk or Avonhill. This house still stands and I spoke to the present resident about a year ago, he too is interested in the area.

James.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 31 October 10 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Good morning James,I hope all is well with you.Some very good information there once again.

George.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 31 October 10 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Good morning George, its a lovely day I will probably go out on my Scooter with a camera, who know what I might see.

James.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 31 October 10 12:20 GMT (UK) »
James and Forester here is one of the colour restorations that a very talented Roots Chat member did for me of the photo kindly sent by Forester.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 31 October 10 12:21 GMT (UK) »
And another one.Thanks to Bill and David for the super job they have done.Feel free to copy them.