Author Topic: Avonbridge/Stein  (Read 28625 times)

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Avonbridge/Stein
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hazelnuts,
                   I will certainly ask around for you, right now I'm just trying to locate Bridgend Farm on any maps.
The Papermill you refer to will be Westfield Mill (now demolished).

James.

Offline hazelnuts01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 18:24 BST (UK) »
Just looked on Google Map - from memory Bridgend Farm was behind number 10  and 12 Bridgend Road.  Looks like a farm  or business of some kind  there now .
Before the houses were built there was an acre field in front of the cottage and a lane ran past  which led down to the river.   
wilson (renfrewshire,paisley)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hazelnuts,do you know when this farm burned down.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline hazelnuts01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 20:54 BST (UK) »
I visited the cottage and saw it had had a fire (not sure of year - at a guess I would say around 1972) -  I was told the cottage had been sold by Mr Johnston in 1961 -  after the fire it was demolished
and a new bungalow built on the site.   I spoke to a lady Mrs Morton who I think lived there.
She did tell me her husband remembered the Wilsons who had lived there.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hazelnuts,
                  My aunts Rose & Sarah lived in those Avonbridge streets, my cousin Bert Hunter
still lives there.  This next bit might be entirely unrelated, but I will tell it anyway.

Mid to late 1940s I lived in a small row of houses built by a Coal Company in the 1870s.
One room, one door, one window, no water, Gas or Electricity, the place was called
Heatherfield, just outside Limerigg, not far from Avonbridge. This place was condemned
before we moved in I think, a row of 4 houses. The County border ran right through the
middle, two houses in Lanarkshire, two in Stirlingshire, when the place was flattened we went
West to the Airdrie district. The family on the other end were called Wilson, to the best of my
recollection John Wilson and his wife, they had a daughter Cecilia, they were Christians who
possessed a pedal Organ, which blasted out Hymns on a nightly basis with the whole family
singing through walls made of paper.

They went East in the direction of Avonbridge, which makes me wonder.

James.

Offline hazelnuts01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Thursday 26 May 11 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Mosstrooper
Nice to hear from you and read your story = I love to hear these treasures but no Cecelia and no
Organ I am sorry to say.   Its snippets like that, that open up the memories.
My Grandfather's  and his family worked for the Oil Shale company (probably Young's) but beyond my Grandfather's marriage in 1894 I have been unable to go.   There certainly was a LOT  of Wilsons.
Thanks for sharing.