Author Topic: house of muir ormiston  (Read 13589 times)

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
house of muir ormiston
« on: Wednesday 06 October 10 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hello

Can anyone give me information on the 'house of muir ormiston' in east lothian?  The census shows my ancestors living there in 1861 and 1871

Is it a hostel of some type? Does anyone know where I can maybe get a photograph?

Any information is very much appreciated

regards
Lynne
Northumberland:  Mather, Walton, Hogg, Pearson
Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire: Noyes, Howard, Partridge

Offline shopper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: house of muir ormiston
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 November 10 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,I also have ancestors who are listed as having lived here. In fact my grandfather and his mother were born at House o'Muir. You might notice from census returns that the occupation of most of the male members of families living there was that of coal miners. I think it can best be described as a tiny village with a collection of small cottages used to house local farm workers or miners . The photo I have is one I took over 10 years ago and shows some of the buildings being used as a pig farm!( I don't actually have the photo on me right now to upload on to the site as I am writing this at work)
Hope this is of some use.

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

thanks so much for your reply and information.  I would love to have a copy of the photo as I havent been able to get any information at all.  My ancestors were also miners.

regards
Lynne
Northumberland:  Mather, Walton, Hogg, Pearson
Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire: Noyes, Howard, Partridge

Offline shopper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 February 11 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Found this on RCAHMS website, cited as being House of Muir, Ormiston - see www.rootschat.com/links/0btw/ (link has been shrunk down) . I have some personal photos too - must get round to uploading them!

Offline ghopps98

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 November 12 01:14 GMT (UK) »
I too had relatives (Metcalfe) at House of Muir, Ormiston (coal miners)

After a few google searches I found that it is likely to also be known as House O'muir as mentioned by #shopper above.

Google maps has exceptional images of the 'streetview' - I am not sure if the whole group of buildings in this area is known as 'House O'muir' or a particular one.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0s3r/

Removed the photograph, Rootschat take the view that it is best to simply add the link. Although google maps let you use their image as long as you credit them, with Rootschat, because we can't vet legally every piece, we take the view of no attachments, just the links.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 December 12 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

some details on the old Village, I think it was actually more a Hamlet with a Farm.

House O’ Muir

One and a half miles south west of Ormiston village at the junction of two by roads is a one storey building dating from the 17th Century.  It is oblong in plan and measures 17 feet 8 inches x 48 feet over walls 2 and a half feet thick.  The walls are roughcast and the roof is pan tiled.  The main features include a sundial on one gable and a large ingle projecting from one of the lateral walls which is still in use as a modern range.

“Murhouse” was one of the properties conferred by Alexander Lindsay of Ormiston upon his daughter and heir when she married John Cockburn.  It was still part of the barony of Ormiston in the early 16th Century (R.M.S.(1509) No 3278 – Inventory of Monuments in East Lothian.)

Map of the 1800′s showing the area around House O’ Muir.  The Colliery is no longer there.  Ormiston Mains farm is still in existence, also note the location of the school.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline 27Ster13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 January 16 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Is there a cemetery at House of Muir please?
Williams of Pembrokeshire
Watkins of Eglwyswrw and Edwards of Treharris
Thomas-Williams-Davies-Edwards of Aberdare
Thomas-Ross-Moffat-Bainland-Kerr-Veitch of Cambusnethan

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 January 16 16:56 GMT (UK) »
If you spend only 2 credits with Scotland's People, you can pull a list of the occupiers (tenants) by searching House of Muir under Ormiston.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 January 16 18:46 GMT (UK) »