Author Topic: Despair Loveridge / Smith  (Read 31315 times)

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Despair Loveridge / Smith
« Reply #36 on: Monday 10 August 15 04:32 BST (UK) »

Hi Orphan Annie,

Elizabeth Loveridge lived with both Stephen Stone and his brother and had children with both of them, never married either of them and her children were registered in her surname of Loveridge even though their dads were Stone's.

The children Elizabeth had with Stephen Stones brother were Charles, Stephen, Elizabeth, Albert, Rosina, Elijah, Queenie and Jeremiah.
The children Elizabeth had with Stephen Stone were Mary, Louisa and Elias.

Stephen Stones parents could possibly  be Stephen and Matilda Stone.

Some of the Stone family lived on the Bohemia Estate in Essex
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline orphan-annie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 10 August 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply. I was already aware of most of what you wrote,and certainly I knew that Brian, too grew up in Eastwood. He showed me where he had lived,on land at the bottom of what is now Glenwood Avenue. I wasn't aware however,that Sonny (Elijah) was the son of Elias and not Stephen so that is great information to have - thank you! I will do some research to try to find out if Stephen & Matilda were indeed the parents of Elias/Stephen,but in the event that I cannot confirm that for sure,is it possible that I could get a copy of Elias' birth certificate? That would give his parents names wouldn't it? And if so,where would I be able to order one from? Sorry...so many questions!!

Offline orphan-annie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 10 August 15 21:46 BST (UK) »
Just to update...Elizabeth was with both Stephen and his brother Elijah (and not Elias). Elizabeth's son Elijah (sonny),my children's gg grandfather,was definitely the son of Stephen. Gosh,its been so confusing!

Offline poly1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 16:24 BST (UK) »
Elijah Loveridge was my g uncle and the brother to my grandfather Elias. Mother was Elizabeth and Father Stephen Stone.  I remember Brian he is Ronnies brother if I remember correctly.

Stephen Stone was the father of Louisa, Queenie, Stephen, Elijah. Elias and Charlie and there was a sister Betty from his brother.
London: Smith, Huntingford, Goldstone, Dupuy, Lanigan, Barrett, Dyke, Chaplin, Dupuis, Le Brument, Velu, Huet, Hatenville, Lovell, Giles

Essex: Romany connections - Loveridge,  Livermore, Chillystone, Stone, Lamb

Offline redredblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm a newbie on here. I'm not sure how old the thread is but I'm hoping the posters can help me. I'm trying to track down information about my grandmother's family.

I believe that I am related to poly1963 and orphan-annie, by way of William Stone, the eldest son of Stephen Stone and Matilda Giles based on the DNA I share with others who are descended from siblings of Matilda Giles. I think I may also possibly be related to some of the earlier posters on this thread. My g grandfather was a James Stone, son of William Stone (a horse dealer like the elder Stephen Stone) and a Salome Smith (according to the birth certificate of James Stone). I have also heard that William was married to a Salome Hedges who was from a fairground family. I've not been able to find William and Salome together in the marriage or census records, or William and James together. Given the relationship between the Loveridge and the Stone family it doesn't seem far-fetched that Salome Smith could also relate to this family.

I'd be grateful for anyone that has any info on William Stone (born ~1868 in Essex) especially anything about Salome or other partners. I'd also be interested to know if anyone from the Stone or the Wisdom Smith family have done DNA testing - this could be very helpful in confirming the links.

Many thanks!

Offline poly1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 11 May 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi RedRedBlue

I have this from a large document I have on the Giles/Lovell family.

(3) 1.7.1 William STONE
--------------------------------------------------
Birth:   circa 1870, Wanstead Flats, Essex, England879

Probably William born Mar 1870 Romford 4a 132 or William John born June 1870 W. Ham 4a 42.

There were also other children.591

Spouse:   Salome HEDGES

The Hedges were fairground people.591

Children:   William
   Albert (1900-)
   Stephen
   Elias
   Matilda
   Kathleen

(4) 1.7.1.1 William STONE

(4) 1.7.1.2 Albert STONE
Birth:   18 March 1900

(4) 1.7.1.3 Stephen STONE

Stephen died in his thirties and may have had other children, but not by his wife Emily.591

Spouse:   Emily JONES
Death:   1991

Emily was from Bethnal Green and not Romany.591

Children:   Winifred (ca1931-)

Not much but hope you may get something from it.

Best wishes

Poly1963
London: Smith, Huntingford, Goldstone, Dupuy, Lanigan, Barrett, Dyke, Chaplin, Dupuis, Le Brument, Velu, Huet, Hatenville, Lovell, Giles

Essex: Romany connections - Loveridge,  Livermore, Chillystone, Stone, Lamb

Offline clave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Norfolk Loveridge families
« Reply #42 on: Friday 02 June 17 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi can i add an info request please , i've got two loveridge travelling families in my daughters tree , one each from my and the wife's sides , both from norfolk/cambs area and would like to find a link between if poss .
Mine : Kenneth W Loveridge and 5 siblings including sister Syberetta , children of Robert Loveridge and Louisa Banham , Robert himself son of James L.
Wifes : 4G GM is Caroline / Lena Loveridge who married William Bird. Caroline daughter of Thomas L and Susan Parker born Hemel Hempstaed in 1857.
 I think this Thomas is one of upto 3 or 4 kids to William L and Trainett Davis.
any info to concur this or connect the two would be great to find , or slightly worrying for a girl showing ' the gift' on occasions , Thanks.

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 03 June 17 16:36 BST (UK) »
I know of Thomas and Susan. There daughter Tryphena had 3 girls who partnered 3 brothers who were my great gran's brothers. Also there son John partnered Mariah Parker my 2 x great gran Eliza's sister .
I have your Caroline down as Selina though. Are you down from one of Lena/Carolina/selina and William's kids.
Susan Parker i have as the daughter of Willim and Eliza. There is a possible connection with my 3 xgg Comfort Parker but i havent found it yet.
Now Thomas though i can not pin down, what have you found tht connects home to William and Trainet who i have heard of also.
(by the way Despairs who this thread is for is my 4 x great uncle)
Tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline clave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 05 June 17 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracey - thanks for getting back to me,
 It's been bit of a tough ride all round to find this family and any real locked positions.
what we do have fixed is our Gt Grandmother Abgael Bird , bn 1872 in chatteris and married Hiram Wilson abt 1897 - they have 15 ish kids in norfolk and have only found them at the earliest on 1911 census so not sure where they were until then.

Abgael's Parents are William Bird, and Caroline / Lena Loveridge born 1857 in Hemel Hempstead and appear first in 1901
Caroline's parents i have as Thomas Loveridge born 1831 in bedfordhire and Susan Parker bn 1831 in Bucks.

I have very little info for these guys and any further up partially due to no censuses then,and its out of my area, so have tried to make the best of what info i can find , if any certainties come up for or against this pattern i would like to get it right as good as i can - i havent got time to write a pretend story.

What i do also think correct is another daughter of Caroline and William- [ so Abgaels Sister ]
Cinderella Loveridge Bird , born 1892 in Peterborough and married Otey Thorpe in 1908 in Long Sutton, Lincolnshire - Otey being son of Ambrose Thorpe and Leviathan / Elizabeth Draper.
Cinder's has 4 children - Leviathan, Tennis , William and Caroline

hope this makes sense!!
Regards , Dave