Author Topic: Despair Loveridge / Smith  (Read 31319 times)

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Despair Loveridge / Smith
« Reply #45 on: Monday 05 June 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave yes makes sense. I have come across all those in my research. I especially like Tennis. what a name. Cinderella is interesting to me as well because my 3 xx gg Alfred, brother of despair also has  a Cinderella so i am sure these families must be connected. I do need to do some more work on this lot but as you say it is difficult. In fact i find this branch of the Loveridges very difficult and frustrating. They do not make life easy. I am sure though they are all connected given they come from the same areas and seem to cross over a lot with each other. Will have another look at all my stuff and see if i have anything else in my notes. Do you have a tree on ancestry.I do have a cousin who is very intrested in Thomas and Susan as there son John is his great gdad, so related to you to.
Also are you a member of the Rtfhs. This months journal has an article about the Thorpes.
Tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline redredblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 06 July 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Poly,

Thanks very much for your message. I've also heard Salome Hedges, who was from a fairground family, linked to William Stone from one of my DNA matches. I wonder if Salome Smith and Salome Hedges are the same person? I've not found any records to help so I'm a bit stuck! I can't find anything useful in the 1901 or 1911 census when my great grandfather would have been a child.

It's possible I'm barking up the wrong tree but my DNA matches a large number of people on the Giles/Lovell tree and my 2x G Grandfather is definitely a William Stone, Romany horse dealer. 

Thanks

Hi RedRedBlue

I have this from a large document I have on the Giles/Lovell family.

(3) 1.7.1 William STONE
--------------------------------------------------
Birth:   circa 1870, Wanstead Flats, Essex, England879

Probably William born Mar 1870 Romford 4a 132 or William John born June 1870 W. Ham 4a 42.

There were also other children.591

Spouse:   Salome HEDGES

The Hedges were fairground people.591

Children:   William
   Albert (1900-)
   Stephen
   Elias
   Matilda
   Kathleen

(4) 1.7.1.1 William STONE

(4) 1.7.1.2 Albert STONE
Birth:   18 March 1900

(4) 1.7.1.3 Stephen STONE

Stephen died in his thirties and may have had other children, but not by his wife Emily.591

Spouse:   Emily JONES
Death:   1991

Emily was from Bethnal Green and not Romany.591

Children:   Winifred (ca1931-)

Not much but hope you may get something from it.

Best wishes

Poly1963

Offline Stephen lawrence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 20:10 BST (UK) »
A

Offline S.Loveridge92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 28 June 20 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hello, I’m aware this is an old post but I wondered if you could help me. Brian Norman loveridge is my grandfather. These posts are really interesting but it also gets confusing, I’m trying to get as much information as I can about my family as I don’t know anything really, any help would be appreciated thankyou 
Hi there. I realise this is a fairly old thread but am hoping somebody could help?
My children are from the Loveridge/Stone family and I have been trying to trace their family back for them. Their grandfather was Brian Norman Loveridge ( now sadly deceased) and their Great Grandfather was Elijah (Sonny) Loveridge, son of Elizabeth Loveridge and (I assume) Stephen Stone. After this is where it becomes confusing for me! Brian was my father-in-law and he sometimes spoke to me about his past/family but other than that he wasn't a man of many words lol. I remember him mentioning that technically he was a Stone but that somewhere along the line some of the 'Stone' family became Loveridge's as one of the mothers gave her children her maiden name,refusing to give them their paternal name in protest that her partner would not marry her. I am hoping that someone could kindly fill in for me as to who were the parents of Stephen Stone,so that I can continue to trace back? Additionally,if anyone is tracing to the present,I am happy to help  if I can with info relating to the two sons of Elijah (Sonny) Loveridge and Margaret Jennings (Ronald and Brian).

Offline S.Loveridge92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 29 June 20 18:33 BST (UK) »
Unsure if anybody can help me learn more on all of this. Brain loveridge is my grandfather so this is really interesting, any help would be appreciated thankyou!
Elijah Loveridge was my g uncle and the brother to my grandfather Elias. Mother was Elizabeth and Father Stephen Stone.  I remember Brian he is Ronnies brother if I remember correctly.

Stephen Stone was the father of Louisa, Queenie, Stephen, Elijah. Elias and Charlie and there was a sister Betty from his brother.

Offline poly1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 19 March 22 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

This thread has been going for a number of years now and still being added too.Long may it continue.

I would love to see a picture of him and his wife.

If you find you are connected to him and his descendants and they settled in Eastwood Essex then please check out Bohemia Estate on Facebook. We have over five hundred members and half are probably connected to Despair.

Revisiting this thread I've discovered more information that a long time ago made no sense. Today it has meaning.

Never give up.
London: Smith, Huntingford, Goldstone, Dupuy, Lanigan, Barrett, Dyke, Chaplin, Dupuis, Le Brument, Velu, Huet, Hatenville, Lovell, Giles

Essex: Romany connections - Loveridge,  Livermore, Chillystone, Stone, Lamb