Author Topic: Moynihan's - Shronedarragh, Headfort  (Read 12115 times)

Offline kenetic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moynihan's - Shronedarragh, Headfort
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 April 13 14:17 BST (UK) »
Re DPM Did Jack Moynihan marry a Mary Fitzpatrick or a Margaret Moynihan?
M

Jack Moynihan married Mary Fitzpatrick in Bluffton, Indiana around 1895, I believe they had 3 sons, one of whom Jack married Margaret Phipps who were parents of Dan Pat Moynihan - ken

Offline kenetic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 April 13 14:19 BST (UK) »
Have you thought to look for "Honora"...I have a rellie in my tree referred to as Nora but she was Baptised Honora.
Carol

I've tried all variations of the name, can find most of her siblings baptismal records just not hers!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 April 13 17:36 BST (UK) »
.marriage on irish genealogy in Glenfesk ,Cornelius Moynihan to Hanora Connor 16th feb 1858,wtns dl and michael riordan

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 April 13 18:31 BST (UK) »
re the census what date did she get married in 1901, the census was to be filled in for the 31st of march 1901 and seemed to have been collected on the 18th of april 1901 no point looking for her in her maiden name if she's already married.

Offline kenetic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 April 13 11:47 BST (UK) »
re the census what date did she get married in 1901, the census was to be filled in for the 31st of march 1901 and seemed to have been collected on the 18th of april 1901 no point looking for her in her maiden name if she's already married.

Dathai, yes i've found that marriage record along with baptism records for most of their children around Shronedarragh/Glenflesk.

Nora was actually married in July of 1900, however she was erroneously recorded by her employer as single with her maiden name on the 1901 census - ken

Offline cdaly

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 May 15 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hello.

There was a John Moynihan who lived in Headfort in 1884. I have some letters that he wrote to a relation of mine. I can hunt these out if required. I don't think these letters will be very useful from a family history point of view as I don't think mentions any family.

The story was that two of my relations, a Charles McCarthy and a Margaret Griffin were having a dispute about land in Headfort and I believe that John Moynihan was the tenant and so each of these were attempting to recruit him. I am not sure of the details, but it did generate some correspondence.

Offline Cornelius133

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 August 18 05:28 BST (UK) »
My grandmother on my fathers side was a Nora Moynihan who was from Headford near Killarney. She was married to man named Kiely from Boherbue in north Co. Cork. They lived in Cork city. They had 3 children from that marriage, 2 boys and a girl. Sadly the girl died while giving birth to twins at home. Mr Kiely died at some stage and she then married the lodger. They had 3 children together, again 2 boys and a girl, one of the boys being my (late) father. My father was the oldest of the 3 and he was born in 1917. I don't know how old his mother would have been at the time, but its quite feasible that she was the same Nora Moynihan born in 1877. I often heard my uncle speak of Daniel Patrick Moynihan later senator about his connection with my grandmother (my uncles mother) and I believe he visited Cork and Kerry whilst climbing the political ladder. I hope this info is helpful

Offline kenetic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 August 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi There, thanks for the info and nice to connect!  Nora was my 2nd great grandmother through her first marriage to John Kiely, my grandmother was reared by Nora and 'Ada' down on the Lower Road. Since I wrote this post i've made some progress on the Moynihans which i'd be happy to share if you are interested  - Ken

Offline Cornelius133

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 August 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,
Thanks for your speedy reply. I was actually gathering some info on my family background in Cork/Kerry for my son who lives in England. I live down under at the bottom of the South Island of New Zealand. At almost 71 years of age, the memory is a little dulled but some things I remember clearly. My grandmother Nora was a very take charge woman who always got her way, some would say domineering even. Having said that she didn't have an easy life. We paid a visit to the farm in Headford when I was in my early teens and remember well swimming in the stream that passed through the farm. I was brought up on the Lower road, my grandparents lived at the other end at what they called the fisheries. My grandfather (the lodger) was Michael Taylor who also worked on the railways and hailed from Spain/Baltimore in West Cork. I knew of John Kiely, but he had long passed before I was born. All the generations before me have now passed on. I mentioned that her first marriage to John Kiely produced 3 children, but looking on the 1911 census there was another child who nobody ever mentioned.
I got well acquainted with Dan Kiely who lived in Dillons towards the end of his life and attended his funeral. Brother Moordoch (brother brendan Kiely) passed away in Liverpool and is buried there.