Author Topic: David & Sarah Fisher  (Read 2978 times)

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David & Sarah Fisher
« on: Wednesday 06 October 10 20:56 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find information on David and Sarah Fisher.  The facts that I know are that in the 1911 Census Sarah is living with her daughter Elizabeth in the City of London RG14PN1285 RG78PN44 RD15 SD1 ED12 SN188. Sarah is down as a widow, this is incorrect as there was a Separation Order on 31/7/1911 when Sarah was given legal custody of Elizabeth.

When Elizabeth marries on 5.8.1935. her details are that she is 31 years old, occupation Tailoress and her father's name is David Fisher.  His occupation is Hairdresser.  One of the witnesses is a Sarah Fisher.  The other witnesses are Caroline Keil and Maurice Soller.

Rumour has it in the family that Elizabeth's father was from Jewish extraction and had emigrated from Rotterdam, Holland, to England. 

I have been unable to find a marriage for David and Sarah and so do not know Sarah's maiden name.  Also, I have been unable to find a date of birth for Elizabeth.  If this was under the Jewish faith, would this be registered on the Free BMD site?

When I have put the name of Fisher and born in Holland into the 1911 Census, the only one that comes up is a Louis Fisher (RG14PN1288 RG78PN44 RD15 SD1 ED15 SN8) who is also living in the City of London and is a Master Hairdresser which is very coincidental as this is David's occupation.  So are David and Louis related or are they the same person as I have been unable to find David in the 1911 Census?

Buzz

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David & Sarah Fisher
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 21:22 BST (UK) »
hi buzz
do you know what parishes they lived in also what ages were they in 1911
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 21:26 BST (UK) »
.. and where is Elizabeth place of birth according to 1911? (and her age)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 October 10 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your response.

In the 1911 Census Sarah who is 36 occupation Tailoress birthplace Spitalfields and Elizabeth age 7 birthplace City of London are living at 23 New Street London E. C. they are lodging with an Anna Parker who is a widow age 38 and her children Charles 7 Henry 5 and Maria 3 all the Parker families birthplace is City of London there is no occupation for Anna.

The details of the Louis Fisher I have mentioned is that he is the head of the family he is living at 60 Aldgate High Street age 33 Master Hairdresser born in Holland the rest of the household are Esther Fisher Wife 36, Rebecca King Cousin 42 single, Hijam Fisher Son 7, Estella Fisher Daughter 6, Benjamin Fisher Son 5, Rebecca Fisher Daughter 6 Months all these were born in the City of London.Also living there is a Ernest Hilde Crande Tenent Married 48 Working Hairdresser birthplace Germany, Michel Fisher Visitor Single 19 no occupation birthplace Holland, Bertha Issacs Visitor 9 birthplace City of London.

Both address's are in the Parish of the City of London, Sub Distict St.Botolph.

Buzz

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 October 10 19:39 BST (UK) »
hi buzz
just to add confusion to this i tought i,d have a look at the 1901 cen and found a harry fisher wifes name esther he,s a barber born in holland aged24 but couldn,t find a david with an esther or as a barber living in 5 ridley rd ha ckney, you have a look see how you get on !!
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 October 10 23:11 BST (UK) »
Interesting when I look for the children of "Louis" Fisher I find what looks like them under "Vischschraper" and variants.

Leonard Vischschraper m. 1901 Mile End (possibly to Esther Hyams, may be a previous marriage 1900 for same couple?)
Hyam b. Jun 1903
Estella b. Jun 1904
Benjamin b. Jun 1906
Rebecca (Vischchraper) b. Dec 1910

Davied Vischschraper m. 1902 Whitechapel (possibly to Sarah Van Gelder)
David Vischraper m. 1903 Mile End (again possibly to Sarah Van Gelder, I don't know why both these couples seem to have registered their marriages twice)
Elizabeth Vischraper b. 1903 London C.

There is a Sarah Van Gelder b. 1872 Spitalfields who I think has a sister Caroline/Carrie b. 1885 Spitalfields m. 1904 to Julius "Keele"
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 October 10 18:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.

What an incredible amount of information I would never have solved this without your help especially the information from Jorose.

Although I let my subscription to Find My Past expire recently I was able to find out from the 1881 census that Sarah's parents were a Joseph & Elizabeth and  Elizabeth's maiden name was De Kromer.

Again thank you for all your kind help.

Buzz

Offline robnic

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 May 17 23:36 BST (UK) »