Author Topic: O' DONNELLs of Clonmel, Clerihan, Shanballyard areas  (Read 16544 times)

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O' DONNELLs of Clonmel, Clerihan, Shanballyard areas
« on: Thursday 07 October 10 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would love to make contact with anyone that has any information on the O'Donnell's of Clonmel / Shanballyard / Clerihan areas. Or if you think you may have a connection with any of the below names and places.

Some information:

Andrew O' Donnell born 1797, died 1870 married ?

Children

William (born 1849?) married 1874 Ellen O'Neill of Derrinlar - children - Mary Cleary, Katty, Maggie O' Sullivan, Ellen, Annie & Andrew married Hacket of Glenbawn

Edmond (born 1859?) married Mary O' Donnell of Quarryhole - children - Mary, Andrew, William, Edmond and maybe more

John

Ellen married James Hally of Clogharden Ardfinnan

Margaret married John Keily of Ballinavora

Catherine married Patrick Keating of Kilnaracy

Thank you in advance.
Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: O' DONNELLs of Clonmel, Clerihan, Shanballyard areas
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 October 10 10:16 BST (UK) »
My Great Great Grandparents lived in Shanballyard and Clashavadra. Their name was (O')Grady/Gready. I don't know of any connection to the O'Donnells though.

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 October 10 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Mick,

Yes I see a John Grady at Clashavaddra. If I ever come across a connection I'll let you know.
Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Offline PatCro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 December 10 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Catherine and  Patrick Keating of Kilnaracy were my great grandparent on my mothers side

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 12:57 GMT (UK) »
PatCro,

Thanks for your reply. I have done abit more research since posting my initial message. I do not think the the above Catherine O' Donnell is an ancestor of mine. It says on the marriage cert that her father was dead in 1889 which would be to early. What townland is your Catherine from?

Offline PatCro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 13:46 GMT (UK) »
From her marriage certificate 11th May 1889 she was from Shanballard, Clonmel.
Her fathers name was Andrew and he was a farmer. He was noted on the marriage certificate as being dead at the time of the wedding. Based on her entry in the 1901 Irish census she was born in 1859.

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Can you confirm who Catherine's siblings are? So as I can officially cross her off my list!

I'm not sure where Shanballard is, maybe its Shanballyard?

I have a good bit of info relating to O' Donnells from Maginstown and Graigue. You can contact me directly on (*) if you think I may be able to help you out!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline neales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 December 10 06:59 GMT (UK) »
hi
i reside in Australia and i just started tracing my wifes irish ancestors her gg grandfather Patrick Phelan married Margaret O'Donnell in Clerihan, county of Tipperary approx 1876

i haven't been able to find any other info on their families
is it possible that this Margaret O'donnell is connected to the O'Donnells you have tracked

regards
neale

Offline PatCro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 December 10 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I don't have any more information on Catherine's siblings but here is what I can get from the censuses. Shanballard I think is a misspelling of Shanballyard. Looking at Griffiths Valuation there was an entry for Andrew O'Donnell in 1850 in Shanballyard

see Griffiths Valuation Entry http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&PlaceID=1180076&county=Tipperary,%20south%20riding&barony=Iffa%20&%20offa,%20east&parish=Inishlounaght&townland=%3Cb%3EShanballyard%3C/b%3E

In the 1901 and 1911 Censuses there is an Edmund O'Donnell living in Shanballyard aged 40 who would be the right age to be a sibling of Catherine. Also his first born boy is called Andrew which would imply his fathers name was Andrew

see 1901 Census entry http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?census_year=1901&surname=o%27donnell&firstname=&county=Tipperary&townland=Shanballyard&ded=Ballyclerahan&age=&sex=&search=Search&relationToHead=&religion=&education=&occupation=&marriageStatus=&birthplace=&language=&deafdumb=&marriageYears=&childrenBorn=&childrenLiving=

and

1911 Census entry http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?census_year=1911&surname=o%27donnell&firstname=&county=Tipperary&townland=Shanballyard&ded=Ballyclerahan&age=&sex=&search=Search&relationToHead=&religion=&education=&occupation=&marriageStatus=&birthplace=&language=&deafdumb=&marriageYears=&childrenBorn=&childrenLiving=

In 1826 tithes there is a William Donnell in Shanballyard
see: http://www.connorsgenealogy.com/tipp/InishlounaghtTithes.htm