Author Topic: O' DONNELLs of Clonmel, Clerihan, Shanballyard areas  (Read 16589 times)

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O' DONNELLs of Clonmel, Clerihan, Shanballyard areas
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 20:02 GMT (UK) »
William ran a shop on Cashel Street, Clonmel. He was a coal merchant, Bacon curer & sold milk which he got from his cows which grazed where the current playing pitches of Clonmel Og are. During the winter when the cows were dry some were moved to a field in Graigue. I do not know if he inherited or bought this property yet. It is still standing, it is the building before the new carpark, I think its called 'Suir Island Carpark'.

William O' Donnell contributed to Burkes History of Clonmel book and is listed at the back of the book as a sponsor. He also contributed monies towards purchasing diamonds or something for the Sisters of Mercy Tabernacle, which is currently in Clonmel Museum. 

Maybe he had a bit of an entrepreneur streak in him or could not wait around for the father to hand over the farm! His father Andrew is listed in Bassetts Directory 1889 as a farmer in Shanballyard & William in Cashel Street. I suppose when he died Edmond was the one left on the farm.

There is still the question of why Catherine's father is stated as dead & the fact that William & Edmonds father did not die until 1897. What do you think of my theory that it is a typo by the person inserting it on the computer? Do you have a copy of the original marriage cert or just the one off rootsireland.ie, like I have?

No I do not have a birth cert for William, I think he may have been born just a tad to early, but maybe all records have not been copied, I'm just going by rootsireland.

The Edmond & Eleanor were dead by 1901, see my previous message.

Just looking at marriage certs.

Edmond (witness Patrick O' D) & Williams (witness Willaim O' D) siblings are
Margaret married 22-Apr-1879 (Kate O' Donnell witness, sister?)
Ellen married 17-Sep-1872 (Catherine O' Donnell witness, your Cath. MAYBE!!)
*Catherine witness is Ellen (same as above?)

Guess**John married 17-Mar-1886 (Address given as Clonmel & occupation as Shopkeeper, maybe working with William in shop?)

Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Offline PatCro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 December 10 18:51 GMT (UK) »
That is really interesting. I have seen errors before. Sometimes it happens in transcription. So it is possible that it is the mother that was dead. The main item that convinces me that Andrew, Catherine and Edmund are related is the documented link to Shanballyard. Does the Andrew on the death cert have Shanballyard as his address?.  Where is William documented as being from Shanballyard?. When did he die?

Offline dhawley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 February 11 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Ellen married James Hally of Clogharden Ardfinnan

James Hally is my relative,  He married Ellen ODonnell 17 Sep 1872 St Mary's Clonmel.
father Andrew is not listed as dead (but I did not check orig) Ellen lives in Shanballard.
wit. Catherine ODonnell and John Quinn.  When I was in Ireland we went to Clerihan looking
for more Hallys as family seemed to think we were from there, but there were no Hallys in Church records
thus it must have been ODonnell side.  Hallys lived in Cloghardeen Ardfinnan but some of family attended
church in Clonmel.

Dan USA San Diego

Offline Kew Vic Aust

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 April 18 09:09 BST (UK) »
I am O'Donnell who lives in Australia.  My grandfather (born 1880 in New Zealand) told me many years ago that the family came from Clonmel, but I know very little else.  I assume that they left Ireland during the 1870s.  I do know that they  came to Australia when he was a child, so possibly around 1890s.  My father was an only child, and there were 4 daughters and one son in my immediate family, there are now two more generations of our O'Donnells here, and so far, no one has done any family research.  My husband and I visited Ireland briefly in 1980, but we were on a bus trip and did not have time to do any research then.
I would be very interested to hear if there are any records showing details of O'Donnell family members from the Clonmel area coming to this part of the world some time in the 1870s.

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 April 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
You need to give names, dates and anything else you have before anyone can help
Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Offline J B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 19 November 22 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have a friend who is doing his family tree and he descends from John O'Donnell, of Dangan, son of Andrew O'Donnell of Quarryhole, John married twice (1) Margaret Kearney 1868 (2) Mary Fox 1877, and they had the following family, Andrew, born? married Alice Dunlae, William, born 29th July 18880, Edmond, born 20th April 1882 married Catherine Cotter, Michael born 20th Oct 1883, John Born in 1885? and Thomas was born in 1890? are they any relation to your O'Donnells? JB 

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 19 November 22 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Good possibility. I sent you a message.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 19 November 22 14:10 GMT (UK) »
....they had the following family, Andrew, born? married Alice Dunlae, William, born 29th July 18880, Edmond, born 20th April 1882 married Catherine Cotter, Michael born 20th Oct 1883, John Born in 1885? and Thomas was born in 1890? 

John O'Donnell born 9 October 1885 at Dangan.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1885/02622/1967684.pdf

James Hally is my relative,  He married Ellen ODonnell 17 Sep 1872 St Mary's Clonmel.
father Andrew is not listed as dead (but I did not check orig) Ellen lives in Shanballard.

Link-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1872/11318/8153464.pdf
Ellen living in Shanballyard townland
https://www.townlands.ie/tipperary/iffa-and-offa-east/inishlounaght/ballyclerahan/shanballyard/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 November 22 14:47 GMT (UK) »

....Andrew, born? married Alice Dunlae....

Andrew O'Donnell married Alice Dunlea on 8 February 1910 at Ballyporeen RC Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1910/09978/5628098.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo