Author Topic: Memoriam/Funeral cards - Lawson, Fletcher, Gill & Lonsdale, all North Yorkshire  (Read 14553 times)

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I have acquired some funeral cards, if anyone is interested in further details, please PM me.

Ann Lawson, wife of William, died 20 Aug 1863 aged 30, buried Aysgarth.

George Thomas Fletcher, son of William Lacy & Mary of Lealholm, died 21 June 1910 aged 8 mths, buried Lealholm.

Mary Elizabeth Gill, daughter of John & Elizabeth of Fryup, died 22 June 1913 aged 20, buried Lealholm.

John Edward Lonsdale, 2nd son of Robinson & Jane of Lealholm, died 15 Feb 1904 aged 29, buried Glaisdale.

Edith Ann Lonsdale, 3rd daughter of Robinson & Jane of Lealholm, died 17 Feb 1904 aged 11, buried Glaisdale.

Jane Lonsdale, 2nd daughter of Robinson & Jane of Lealholm, died 15 July 1904 aged 19, buried Glaisdale.

Eliza Lonsdale, eldest daughter of Robinson & Jane of Lealholm, died 9 April 1907 aged 26, buried Glaisdale.

What sadness for the Lonsdale family, to lose four children.  Eliza's card has a particularly poignant verse:
"Weep not for me, I'm free from pain,
My earthly sufferings o'er;
I hope to meet you all again
On a peaceful, happy shore."

Offline fletcher_ross

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Memoriam/Funeral cards - Lawson, Fletcher, Gill & Lonsdale, all North Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
william lacy fletcher is my great grandfather. my grandfather was born much later (1927) to william lacy fletcher and his second wife. george thomas fletcher is therefore my grandfathers half-brother. could you tell me anymore about that particular funeral card?
thanks
Ross Fletcher

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Memoriam/Funeral cards - Lawson, Fletcher, Gill & Lonsdale, all North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross,

I'm pleased to find someone with a connection to one of the cards.  The card when closed measures 11.6 cm x 7.7 cm.  It is a grubby white with a black and silver border.  On the front is a picture of a basket of snowdrops, with the words In Loving Memory.  Inside it says "To be Interred at Lealholm, on Friday, June 24th, at 3 o'clock."  On the other side it says "In Loving Memory of George Thomas the Dearly Beloved Son of William Lacy & Mary Fletcher, of Lealholm, who died June 21st, 1910, aged 8 months.  Safe in the arms of Jesus."

I bought the cards from a bookshop in Robin Hood's Bay. 

I will be happy to send you a scanned copy or mail the card to you.  You will need to have 3 posts on Rootschat before I can send you a PM (private message) with my email details.  You could do more posts on this thread or comment on another one to boost your posts number.

Regards,
Tilly

Offline 4li5on

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 January 12 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tilly.
I've just recently started researching my family tree and I've stumbled over this post.
Do you by any chance still have the Lonsdale family cards that I could have a scan of please?
I know I can't PM yet, but if you still have them I'd be very interested to be in touch.
Thanks hopefully
Alison

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 12 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,

Yes, I will look them out for you.  If you reply to me on this thread a couple of times, I will be able to PM you and we can swap email addresses so I can send you the scans.

Offline 4li5on

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 12 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!
I was worried you would have either parted with them or given them to somone else.
It's still an off-chance they they will be my ancestors, but the names and dates tally up with some details we already have.
I'll be PM'ing you soon - still finding my way around the forum!

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 January 12 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Will look them out tonight, still trying to tidy the Christmas decs away and have been stopped by a neighbour calling, so will be back later.

Offline 4li5on

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 January 12 16:08 GMT (UK) »
No rush at all, I'm just pleased you still have them!

Offline 4li5on

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 12:28 BST (UK) »
Tilly,

Just a quick update. Thank you so much for the scans of the cards. I used the details to do some more research.

It appears that John Edward, Edith Ann, Eliza and Jane were infact my great great grandfather's siblings!

My great grandfather Thomas William Lonsdale was one of 5 children of Thomas William Lonsdale and Mary Ann Lindsley. Thomas William was the eldest son of Robinson Lonsdale and Jane, parents of the deceased.

It looks like there were 11 children in all! I've not looked any further into the whys and wherefores of the deaths yet - this family tree bug is only a part-time hobby to which I don't have enough time to commit - but from the sketchy details I have from family members, it looks like I'm on the right line. The dates most certainly add up!

I have been to find the gravestones - unfortunately couldn't find them but some of the other family were there! The particular graveyard seemed quite unorganised and may have had many unmarked graves, so maybe something else to look into at a later date.

Thank you again so much for sharing the information - it has given me something to focus on and work around, otherwise I would have had very little direction on that line of the family.

I'm very grateful! :)