Author Topic: Cummins of magilligan.  (Read 7667 times)

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cummins of magilligan.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Gortinamina you are great too, the listings you have for George Cummings of Ballycarton in the 1831 Census was definately an ancestor of mine.  Do know where I can go to get a copy of that listing?

Thanks,

Summerhill

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 07:31 BST (UK) »
The following were head of households in 1831

Killowen      Killowen [part of Coleraine]   Elizabeth   Cumming
Aghanloo      Ballycarton                   George   Cummins
Magilligan      Ballymaclary                   Thomas   Cummins
Magilligan      Carnowry                     John   Cummins
Magilligan      Oughtymoyle                   Patrick   Cuming
Magilligan      Tircreven                                   David   Cumming
Magilligan      Tircreven                                   Henry   Cumming
Magilligan      Tircreven                                   Samuel    Cumming jnr
Templemore   Ballyarnet                                   Joseph   Cummins

I hear that this census gives number of males females and religions, do you have that imformation, if you do could you please give it too me. As i'm trying to locate my great great great grandfather.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 08:20 BST (UK) »
Microfilm of the 1831 census is in PRONI, NAI [and Ballymena Library].

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 08:41 BST (UK) »
Microfilm of the 1831 census is in PRONI, NAI [and Ballymena Library].

Ok its alright then it dosen't matter i'll just assume that hes in the fathers house

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 12:50 BST (UK) »
Was looking at records and i got george  cummin marrying elizabeth in ballykelly presbyterian church in april 1707, i thought it was illegal for presbyterians to marry then, my dad says that we couldn't be related to them because they have no "s" ::) he won't listen to me. I am almost certain i am related as we are the only  cummins in limavady/coleraine area as its a very rare name in northern ireland, is there any way for me to relate myself to them and try and find their children? As i would love to do that.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
Anyone? I take it you can't do that then? *sigh* sick of banging into bloody brick walls!

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
perhaps the clergyman wrote his own interpretation of the name in the register.  This did happen quite frequently.  Also could you try and search the ballykelly parish baptism register for children born of that union and see what way the clergyman spelt the name ?  Working from that you can then try and see did any of those children marry in the parish or whom they married and keep working forward.

Hope this helps.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
perhaps the clergyman wrote his own interpretation of the name in the register.  This did happen quite frequently.  Also could you try and search the ballykelly parish baptism register for children born of that union and see what way the clergyman spelt the name ?  Working from that you can then try and see did any of those children marry in the parish or whom they married and keep working forward.

Hope this helps.

Yes i know that , but my dad won't listen to me! ugh but at least i know.  They were the only two people in the whole register know by my name, the records have baptisims before their marriage so they won't have had any children and they would've been born before the 1699, obviously lol, and the ones after them are in the 1800s when my family where in magilligan and dunboe so they woul't need to attend ballykelly i'm thinking they are probably in the balkykelly church before that and after 1707, is there anything? As the ballykell church have no reocord of baptisims for 100 years.. they must've been burn't and that would've connecyted me i'm really dearate their has to be something?

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 August 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
anyone?