Author Topic: Blyth History.  (Read 178330 times)

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blyth History.
« on: Saturday 09 October 10 14:51 BST (UK) »
Two things I am interested related to Blyth in the past, and if anyone can provide info. or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
First item is a ship which went aground in Blyth bay(south beach area) in the late 1940's.  My grandmother took me to see it when I was about 7 years old, so that would be about 1948. Help with the date, name of the ship. etc. would be welcome.

Second item concerns P.C George Mussell who was murdered at Bedlington about 1911.  He had been stationed at Blyth, prior to his move to Bedlington, and was known to my other grandmother. She worked in a bakers in the town centre, and PC Mussell used to call in there whilst on duty.  He was known to the girls as Geordie. My grandmother described him as a "fine, tall, young man".  I have searched here on Northumberland page, but have not found anything re him. Being new to this I might not have been searching correctly.  Hoping for info. re the two matters.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 October 10 15:21 BST (UK) »
Might this be him?:
Deaths Jun 1913

Mussell  George B 
District: Morpeth 
Volume:10b
Page: 459   

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 October 10 15:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think it is his death.

Some info and a photo here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2791717.stm
The article is dated 2003 and they were looking for descendants - that would have been a good project for the Rootschatters. :))

There are a couple of other similar articles online. Try googling.  :D

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 October 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
The murder of PC Mussell was part of the Sun Inn murders in 1913, also killed was a police sergeant and the wife of the pub owner.There is a book called 'Bedlingtonshire' by Evan Martin that has a photo of PC Mussell.

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 October 10 18:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, Ruskie and nort.  I was a couple of years out re PC Mussell's death.  I knew about the murders at the pub at Bedlington, and that he was a victim.  My grandmother told me he used to call at the back of the shop for a cup of tea.  If he was wearing his cape they would try and leave a floury handprint on the back of it, before he went back on the beat.  Now and again they managed it without him knowing, and he would get a rollicking of his sergeant.
I will try the various other sites, etc., you mention.  I have no family connection with PC Mussell, but through my grandmother mentioning him, and she having known him personally, I thought I would try and find out over what period he had been posted to Blyth.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 October 10 19:08 BST (UK) »
The book "Tough Times & Grisly Crimes" a history of crime in Northumberland and County Durham, by Nigel Green, has a detailed article about the murders of PC Mussell  Sergeant Barton and Sarah Grice on January 27th 1913, with photographs of the victims, and the arrest of Jocker Amos .

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 October 10 09:39 BST (UK) »
Just adding a wee snippet.....

Northumberland Communities website has a couple of photos on the policemen's funerals, within the Bedlington section.

communities.northumberland.gov.uk

Twenty second and twenty third in the gallery.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 October 10 09:44 BST (UK) »

Link to photos..

http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/Bedlington_C4.htm

One funeral in Bedlington, other in Rothbury.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 13:37 BST (UK) »
I have just Googled "New Delaval", and having viewed the car-camera site, I have ended up in tears. :'( They have pulled down Newsham Junior School; Walter Willson's(just over the gates with a Police pillar standing nearby)has gone. As has the cobblers, and also Robson's cycle shop.  We had to traipse down from the top end of Plessey Road, to Robson's for charged accumulators for the radio.  I suppose nowadays, with them having acid inside kids would not be allowed to carry them. And who recalls Dodd's corner shops, one at each end of Plessey Road(even nos. side)  You should have seen the queue of kids outside the bottom one, when sweets came off the ration. ;D I suppose Watson's paper shop, and Buglass's corner shop have vanished from the top end of Plessey Road. Used to go to the former for the Sporting pink on a Saturday night about 5.30pm with a treat for a Kit Carson or Buck Jones comic, as well.  Old Man Watson was alright, but if the son was serving, all the blokes got their papers first, and any kids had to wait until the queue had gone, then we would be served. You will all remember The Plaza, but who recalls 'Tiny' Miller, the gateman at Newsham level crossing ?  Hope aal thi above gets ya minds workin :D