Author Topic: Blyth History.  (Read 179684 times)

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth Accent
« Reply #315 on: Friday 28 April 17 18:42 BST (UK) »
I think that the differences in accents around south east Northumberland used to be clear when I was a kid, 1950s & 60s.  When at school, (BGS), it was easily possible to tell the difference between people from Seghill, Blyth and Ashington.  The differences were small.  Some people would say "Aa divint naa", some "A divint naa".  That "Aa" or "A" for "I" was significant.  There were other similar differences.  Now, with increased mobility, and many people not wanting to sound working class, that will be much diminished.  Nowadays the only Blyth accent I hear is when I talk to myself  ;).

I'm sure that serious studies on these differences in the accents have been carried out, decades ago.  It would be interesting to read about the subject and cleanse my speech of posh bits which, over the years, have slyly slipped in.

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History.
« Reply #316 on: Saturday 29 April 17 21:37 BST (UK) »
Anyone looking for South Row at the Isabella Colliery before 1960s should be looking for Double Row In the early 1900s it was mostly the Foreman, Deputy,sand such like that were housed there

Can anyone tell me where the word Bradish comes from.  It was a partition wall at
the back door in the New Row houses at the Bella Colliery.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: Sunday 30 April 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
belhay, The word 'bradish', I do not know where it comes from, but I know exactly what you mean.  My grandparents house at New Delaval had a bradish next to the door in the living room, where there was also the old fire/range/oven. The scullery was separated from the living room with a door, and as you went through that door the bradish was on the right hand side, and the fire-range was to the left The bradish was about 2'6" wide and about as high as the door, if not slightly higher - grandfather's chair was at the side of the bradish - so no draughts from the kitchen. Sat. evening at 5pm, Sports Report on the 'wireless' (!!!)  "Shush" from Grandad, whilst he took the football results and then to check his pools, hoping for the £75,000 win.

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: Sunday 30 April 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
". . . Sat. evening at 5pm, Sports Report on the 'wireless' (!!!)  "Shush" from Grandad, whilst he took the football results and then to check his pools, hoping for the £75,000 win."

That takes me back to the early 50s.  That is exactly how it was when we went to visit my Granny in 11th Avenue.

Thinking of 11th Ave. takes me back too.  In those days council houses were superb with very well looked after gardens.  The front gardens were hedged and full of flowers, the back garden usually had vegetables growing and possibly a few chickens.  I can only think of four council houses that had bad gardens, two around the Oval at Newsham, one in Horton Place and one along Twentieth Ave.  There must have been more.

That reminds me of a few families that neighbours regarded as anti-social.  Now that would be a fascinating subject, "The problem familes of Blyth".  Alas, that would be extremely unfair on their descendants.

The last time I drove around the council houses in New Delaval, (I lived in Etal Road, when it was newly built), was several years ago and most of the front gardens had been flattened to provide parking.  It looked awful, but I can't blame the people who did it.  What else could they do? 

I still look back with fond, proud memories of all those council houses, with flower-filled, hedged and gated gardens, with which the owners were very happy.  Why did Thatcher decide to sell off council houses?  Here in Milton Keynes new houses are about the size of a Newshan pigeon cree of old.

. . . this is after one glass of wine, by the the time the evening is out I'll want to assassinate Teresa May, and many other Tories, including Tony Blair.

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: Sunday 30 April 17 19:37 BST (UK) »
Bradish
yes that exactly what I mean.  My mother was from the Pans [seaton sluice] and used the word so I don,t know if it was local to Blyth
ours blocked the draft from the backdoor, which was warped, due to a WW2 bomb landing near the Bella pit
 after the houses were modernised about 1957 a sink was put in under the window and the bradish was still kept  Before then the water came from a tap in the yard and the lights were Gaslight, even the iron w11as connected to the gas outlet.

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: Sunday 30 April 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
Mentioning politics at the end of that last comment of mine has opened a can of worms.  It reminded me of the most shameful thing I have done in my life.

Can you remember the 1974 General Election in Blyth when John Ryman was elected as MP?  That was when Eddie Milne, a very good constituency MP, fell out with the Labour Party.  At that election Eddie stood as a principled Independent MP.  The Labour Party  selected an Oxford University barrister, John Ryman, as their candidate.

I was a close friend of the step-son of Peter Mortakis, who was The Labour Party agent in Blyth.  I met Ryman before the election.  In those days I was new to photography and was flattered to be asked to take some photographs of Ryman for his election campaign.

When I met met Ryman, before the election, he struck me as a pompous person who was utterly out of touch with people of Blyth.  However I wanted to prove myself as a photographer, so I accepted the challenge.

Peter Mortakis's son & I took Ryman around Blyth. We produced a superb set of photos to promote Ryman. We took him took building sites, the market, even to the river where we showed him with a proud granny, (with power station in background), who was watching her grandson fish.  They were a superb set of photos.  I can't claim all the credit, my accomplice, Peter's stepson, was brilliant.  He could talk to all the Blyth folks with great sincerityand get them to co-operate. 

My photos were very good.  They made Ryman look like a man with a sincere involvement with the people pf Blyth.  Ryman won the election by a very small margin.  His winning, acceptance speech was the most nauseating I have ever heard.

Shortly afterwards Ryman & Mortakis were taken to court for not complying with laws on electoral expenses.  They had overspent.  I was a witness for the prosecution.  I reluctantly had to amit that I had received a small payment from the agent.  This resulted in Peter Mortakis being found guilty and barrister Ryman being found not guilty.   In my mind, Peter Mortakis was a simple guy who was easliy manipulated by Ryman.  The police never returned the negatives of the photographs that were used in the leaflet to promote Ryman.  Fortunately I have a single copy of the flyer which we produced.  It is very good. It was too good.

Eddie Milne was a very decent guy, and a good MP.  His wife and my mother were friends. Yet I had been the key element in promoting Ryman and destroying Milne.  The last that I heard of Ryman, many years ago, was that he was in jail for defrauding an old woman, or two.  I have to be carefull what I say on this as it is secondhand onformation.  I suggest that you Google "John Ryman", and see what you find.

So there it is, "the most shameful thing I have done in my life"'.

Yes, by now I have exceed my drinks limit, but feel better for my confession.

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
South Newsham, South Farm
« Reply #321 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
I was looking through some old photos today and came across this shot from South Newsham. It is very good considering it must have been taken on a Kodak Brownie 127 in 1961.

Just before leaving school in 1962 a few friends & I often went over to South Farm and helped the guys there. For us kids the great thrill was being allowed to drive a tractor.

I can only remember a few of the names now, excuse me if I'm wrong. The guy on the left is Dennis Lisle, then can't remember.  The nexy guy lived at the cottage at North Farm, then Ken Bullock and Wally Bell.  One of the old guys at the front lived at the cottage at South Farm, but I'm not sure which.

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: Thursday 08 June 17 16:12 BST (UK) »
That's interesting about the various scandals in Blyth politics. I wasn't living in Blyth at the time (I was living and working in Hull and a member of the LP which has always managed to stay"red" there) but my parents were. My Dad liked Eddie Milne and  switched to voting Independent  at that election.
I'm sure he knew about the Ryman business because he was a solicitor. But never mentioned business at home!
And thanks for all those photos of BGS, especially the one of the teachers. I left BGS in 1954 and I remember many of those faces, they hadn't changed much.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: Monday 19 June 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
I am stuck down in England in all this stumer heat.  Can anyone in Rootschat, being a member of the Northumberland page post a picture, video, or whatever, of the Blyth Harbour entrance, beach, and dunes, of those lovely, magnificent, and cooling sea breezes which would sweep in at the height of summer and give us some respite from the heat.  AND, has anyone got a recording of 'wor' i.e. the Blyth foghorn ?  I can still hear it in my memory, whatever it was, daa, ....... ?
Each lighthouse and foghorn had its own distinct sound/lighting governed by seconds.