Author Topic: Blyth History.  (Read 178360 times)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History.
« Reply #324 on: Friday 23 June 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
Not family history more reminiscences but your mention of the foghorn at Blyth reminded me of bedtime when I lived at Morpeth and could hear the foghorns which my mother told me came from Blyth. Sound must have travelled a long way in those days! It was a frequent and familiar nightime sound.....
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 18:56 BST (UK) »
I was watching Talking Pictures this afternoon(Freeview 81 'Glimpses') It showed Newcastle, not Blyth, in the late 1940's and early 50's - the shipyards, traffic in the Toon and on the river; women working in a womens' clothing factory; heavy industry - shipbuilding;armaments; huge dynamos;the Tyne full of ships; even the old tramcars on rails, which I can just remember.
The North East - what a place to have been from when ? -1800' ? to the 1970s ??
I will not go into politics or whatever, it was probably ruined by both the magnates and then the unions.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: Friday 28 July 17 19:25 BST (UK) »
Aa'm back again.  The reason - " When The Boat Comes In" - I never watched the full series due to work when it was first broadcast, and these past 2 weeks I have found that the series is being shown on the Freeview Drama Channel on a Saturday afternoon, at 1p.m. (3-4 episodes together) I am realising that it was a classic.
Why I am posting here is - ...... Jean Heywood, born in Blyth, watching her reminds me of my Grandmother to a 'T'. Same mannerisms, voice, intonations, and the look in the eyes.
I believe Jean is still alive.  It would be out of this world is someone could post in here details of her family, history, etc.  Hope someone comes up with the facts.
As regards the father, Bill Seaton, another great actor.  My wife reckons that I sound like him when I am in a fettle and lose my temper.  [I do not have a moustache, though.]

Offline peeem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: Saturday 29 July 17 15:10 BST (UK) »
Ah, When the Boat Comes In. It always takes me back to when I was taking my firstborn out for a walk in her pram. We were down the quayside in Blyth and they were filming a scene down there. There was a small crowd watching. My little girl seemed fascinated by the lights and all the people and she just sat and stared. Well that was until they asked for quiet shouted action. That's when she decided to shout back. We were met by the loud shout of 'Cut' and a sea of staring faces. James Bolam though just stood and grinned as I slunk away.
Happy days.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: Saturday 29 July 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
peeem, Thanks for that post.  I always suspected that some scenes may have been filmed in the Blyth area.  I have watched another 2 episodes today(broadcast 1976), and I had not ever seen them.
Were the Blyth staithes dismantled by 1976 ?
A relative who emigrated to Australia about 1960, returned to Blyth at some time, and photographed the staithes before they were taken down.

Offline peeem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: Saturday 29 July 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure when the staithes were demolished. I know the exact spot that the filming I mentioned was though. It would be near the edge of the roundabout at the bottom of Wellington St East opposite the sculpture. Or put another way, just a yard or to south of the south east corner of Eddie Ferguson House. The building they were standing outside of had long since been abandoned I think and it had been a blacksmiths. Around the corner on quayside was another entrance with (I think a coal yard and a stable), also long disused next door.
I think the filming was about a strike or protest of some sort because I remember them carrying placards.

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: Saturday 29 July 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
 Hi,    Google shows that Jean Heywood  was born Jean Murray, 15 July 1921. Blyth. She would be 96 now if still living.  Dolly
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: Sunday 30 July 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
Dolly, Yes, I had also searched on google re Jean Heywood.  I believe she may still be with us.  It would be interesting to know where she lived in Blyth as a child (Blue plaque material ! :)), and which schools she attended.  My mother, born about that time attended BGS.  Perhaps Jean also was a pupil there.
But if anyone can enlighten us re Jean with more facts, then we will all appreciate it.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: Sunday 30 July 17 15:33 BST (UK) »
Dolly, Just spent 20 minutes on the web searching for Jean.('cos I've got nothing better to do with my time)  It looks as though she is still alive. And, James Garbutt - Bill Seaton, who was born in Houghton-le--Spring in 1925, is still with us.  Unfortunately, Edward Wilson, - Billy Seaton, died in 2008 in California.