Author Topic: Blyth History.  (Read 180548 times)

Online Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History.
« Reply #351 on: Thursday 31 August 17 01:07 BST (UK) »
It is an entirely different subject, but storm and tidal surges are nothing new. England and the east coast suffered terrible tragedy in 1953, as did Holland when storm and tide combined to inundate low lying areas. Many people lost their lives. The problem back then was lack of communication, but these days we have the opposite, and messages and information can cross one country and the world in minutes and hours. Are there more surges? I'm not sure. Sometimes I suppose it can feel like there are more, but I couldn't say one way or the other. Regarding Blyth, it used to flood on the big tides and when storms combined with high tide, well, there are reports of property damage and loss of life going back 200 years or more, and lots of old photos showing the flooding as far back as the late 1800s. Being on the coast is to live cheek by jowl with mother nature, and she can be very demanding and destructive at times, regardless of whom and what stand in her way.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: Sunday 10 September 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
Drama Channel [Freeview 20], I have just been catching up on the series, - "When The Boait Cums In." and there in the episode was a shot of a 2 axled flatbed 1920s lorry - with the name - Fergusons & Son, on the doors, and the Blyth Telephone No.: 328, I think, or I might have not remembered that correctly. 
And as regards 'When the Boat ......' now that Jack has moved up in the world, all these business double dealings are getting way beyond me.  One shot in today's programme, looked as though it was filmed on the beach at Blyth - the sewage pipe which was situated below the Coastguards Hut and the start of the promenade.
Could anyone view the programme I have referred to and download the Ferguson lorry, then post it here ?

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: Thursday 02 November 17 13:52 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to date a photograph of a ship, Coronia, reg. Monrovia sailing up the river. The ship was built in 1970. A further clue to the date might be that the gasometer was still in operation.  When did that cease working? 

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: Thursday 02 November 17 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Bonfire night at New Deleval- we used to go bonner raiding at the estate just beyond Plessey Road. towards the Plaza, etc. and S. Bede's Church.

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Raiding bonfires in New Delaval
« Reply #355 on: Thursday 02 November 17 18:21 GMT (UK) »
pityackafromblyth
Your posting has brought it all back.

I was part of the gang from the upper part of Delaval Gardens and the opposite bit of Plessey Road, in the mid 1950s.

Before the bonfire we collected loads of wood and stashed it away in various backyards and a few other places.  Then we would make catapults, and go raiding.  It wasn't that easy as other gangs, e.g. the Oval gang was bigger and rougher than our gang and all gangs made catapults and collected stones for throwing at raiders.

I can remember pinching some of the collected wood from the Store Terrace gang,  the St. Bede's Place gang who stashed their bonfire wood behind the bakery and from the small gang at the bottom end of Delaval Gardens.

Nowadays Guy Fawkes is very tame, and probably a lot safer.  I am amazed how we didn't have any nasty accidents. I can remember buying happenny bangers from the little shop near the pubic urinal by the Newsham Junior School.  We did all sorts of daft things with them but usually just throwing them at each other.  I suppose that you can't buy such things now unless you are 50 year old and that they cost £2.49 each instead of a happenny.

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: Friday 03 November 17 15:47 GMT (UK) »
I remember that gas tank. I used to write to my Dad, who was in the RN, and finish "I love you 100 times round the gasworks." It was one of the biggest things I knew.
And your mention of gangs -  we had a 'dare' gang - very exciting. We had so much freedom, and Blyth/Seaton Sluice were ideal places for adventure. Parents weren't bothered as long as we came home for tea.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: Friday 03 November 17 16:10 GMT (UK) »
TriciaK,

" . . . we had a 'dare' gang ".

Don't mention things like that, or I might be tempted mention some of the naughty things we young boys and girls were 'dared' to do.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: Monday 01 January 18 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I believe and think that everything about Blyth has been covered and explained by all us old ones. - Pubs, [wish I was in the Ridley Arms, Station Hotel, Bebside Inn, Windmill Inn, etc. etc. with all the old company from those  60-70 years back, on Christmas Eve/Day, and of course New Year's Eve,Day, and New Year's night.  What times we had without bother, fights, arguments or fall outs.] And all the other history of our town.
But here is the crux of the matter, question, Who will list all the fish and chip shops ???  I am going to start with the one just below the crossing at Newsham, and I forget the name.  Then there was Cosomini's.  One somewhere up Bowes Street, which was A1 Grade, but their fishcakes were superb.
Please list them all so that I can recall many a night out in Blyth, when instead of boarding the No.49 bus, we decided to stagger home via one of those eateries. :) ;) :D
P.S. DO NOT MENTION THE KAMGTONG.THAT IS ANOTHER TALE. :P :-[

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: Monday 01 January 18 16:06 GMT (UK) »
There was another fish & chippie in Newsham, in front of the other railway crossing.  Was it called Morgan's? I can remember when a bagof chips went up from 3d to 4d.

There was another on Plessey Road, just past the bus garage, towards Blyth.