Author Topic: Blyth History.  (Read 180437 times)

Offline Yossarian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History.
« Reply #378 on: Monday 14 May 18 20:07 BST (UK) »
I would imagine that somewhere in the vast compilation of information that is Roots Chat the question of how Monkey's Island on the River Blyth came to be named has cropped up. Could anyone tell me, or direct me to a link please. Thanks  :)

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Monkey Island
« Reply #379 on: Monday 14 May 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
As a Newsham, New Delaval, lad I never ventured to such distant parts, so I am not sure what or where Monkey Island was.

However, a while back I read a novel, "Lonely Road",  by Nevil Shute, published by Pan Books, in 1962, which seems to be built around the isolation hospital on the River Blyth in that area, in earlier years.

It's reasonable read, but Blyth folks might find it very interesting.

Offline Yossarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: Monday 14 May 18 21:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I will hunt that book out  :)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: Monday 14 May 18 22:41 BST (UK) »
I would imagine that somewhere in the vast compilation of information that is Roots Chat the question of how Monkey's Island on the River Blyth came to be named has cropped up. Could anyone tell me, or direct me to a link please. Thanks  :)

The story goes, that a ship arrived at Cowpen Quay and whilst being emptied of ballast, in readiness to take on a load, a dead monkey was found among the ballast.

There is also much debate about where exactly Monkey's Island was. Later generations like mine swear blind it was Factory Point, but in fact the location was roughly where the Bates Loaders stood, aka Bucks Hill Point.

This old postcard is labled as Monkey's Island. This land was removed in 1932/3 to make way for the construction of the Bates Loaders.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51893012@N05/16650324500/in/album-72157641931957224/

Bucks Hill from a slightly different perspective;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51893012@N05/10217404016/in/album-72157641931957224/

I hope that answers your question.

P

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: Monday 14 May 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
More reading material if you are interested, even my own comments relating to Factory Point being Monkeys Island, until I found the photographic proof!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=308016.0

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Yossarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: Monday 14 May 18 23:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot P - that's cleared up the Monkey's Island mystery. My late mother told me she was in the local infectious disease hospital with dyptheria - thankfully she survived.

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Novel about Blyth
« Reply #384 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
A Kindle .mobi version of that Nevil Shute novel, Lonely Road, that I mentioned can be found and downloaded as a torrent at,
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/8038519/Nevil_Shute_-_20_books_(epub__mobi).
Lonely Road comes along with about 20 other books of Shute's

Offline Brian Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: Monday 16 July 18 06:57 BST (UK) »
I recall 'Posh' being used a lot as a child in the Blyth, Tyne area; however, how many have any knowledge of the origin of the word even now.
Looking back, It appears that those who used the word actually wished they were ... POSH

Offline Brian Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: Monday 16 July 18 07:37 BST (UK) »
Images of the vast array of horse drawn 'carts' of 'the '40's' and 50's travelling on the Blyth Ferry remain vivid especially the images of the horses struggling up the ice covered banks at both the north and south side of the river during winter.
Often, during severe winter conditions extra horses were hitched to pull the carts from the ferry and up the banks
Memories of hoses being frightened by ship's whistles whilst on the ferry are numerous with attending Milkmen attempting to calm their charges.
Does anyone remember or has anyone heard of the horse drawn milk cart that plunged into the river with the resultant loss of cart, contents and more horrifically, the horses.