Author Topic: Duncan family of Denny  (Read 6179 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Duncan family of Denny
« on: Saturday 09 October 10 18:30 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on descendants of the following Duncan family of Denny:

The parents were James Duncan b1821 at Denny and Agnes Hannah b1823 at Denny. Known children were:

James abt1846 Kilsyth
William abt 1847 Denny
Thomas abt 1852 St. Ninians
John abt 1857 Denny

I think some of the family may have ended up in Canada but if anyone has any details I would be pleased to hear from them.

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Darren1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan family of Denny
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 November 14 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have information about the Duncan's you have as it turns out James Duncan and Agnes Hannah were my 3x great grandparents. How are you related? I have managed to trace the Duncan family back to 1811 in St. Ninians, Stirlingshire, and with the Hannah family I have traced back to 1711 in Denny. If you like I can Pm you my email and I can send you a copy of the research of the Duncan's?

Hope to speak to you soon!

Darren Ferrier

Offline helenmcasmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I have this information but I haven't checked it all out yet with cross referencing to certificates but it might be a start.  (The Duncans from Denny is a bit of a needle in a haystack).  I am connected to the Duncans from Braeface and Thomaston.

James DUNCAN’s first marriage to Agnes HANNAH (married 30th November 1844 in the Parish of Haggs)

Their children were:

William DUNCAN (1848-1921)– see Duncan tree and USA connection.  William married Jane FRASER (1850-1929) in 1871.  (Sailed on the Circassia possibly 1879; but wife and children returned on the Devonia, 1879?) – see  FRASER connections.
      Their children were:
Elizabeth Fraser DUNCAN b. 1881 in Morris Run, Pennsylvania, USA  - she married John Moir WELSH in 1904 Scotland.

Margaret DUNCAN b 1872 d. 1927 b. Scotland (Braeface) married John FLEMING (b 1873 d. 1940) in 1896 (after her death he married Minnie ENGLAND and had one daughter Dorothy.

Agnes DUNCAN b 1873 b. Scotland married John BLAIR in 1894.
         Children: Jean DUNCAN who married William STIRLING
Mary DUNCAN who married James STIRLING and went to live in Canada.
Agnes DUNCAN who died when she was a child
John DUNCAN who never married and lived all of his life in the Haggs
Margaret DUNCAN who married john WAUGH
William DUNCAN (1904-1910)
James DUNCAN – went to Canada for a short time; married late in life and sold the family house in the Haggs and went to live in Brighton.

Annie DUNCAN (1876-1918) b. Scotland married Alexander Murdoch of Alva in 1900
   Children: Jean MURDOCH who married George DAVIDSON
   Isabel MURDOCH who married John WALLACE
   James MURDOCH
   (Alexander AKA Sandy, and the children emigrated to Canada)

James DUNCAN b 1876.  married Margaret DUNCAN 1917
         Children:
         Elizabeth DUNCAN who married Peter DUNCAN
         Jean DUNCAN who married William DUNCAN
William DUNCAN who married Isabel BAIN of Bottomhead farm (marriage broke up?)

James DUNCAN d. 1907 married Isabella Blair d. 1912
      Their children were ? who married Archibald Hannah d. 1912
         Their children were May DUNCAN d. 1912
      Will? (William?) married Jean Blythe
Their children: John DUNCAN (appointed Deputy commander of Scotlands regional crime squad in March 1969?)

Thomas DUNCAN married Margaret McGREGOR (daughter of Margaret MARSHALL and Robert McGREGOR – mentioned already in FRASER/ MARSHALL family)
Their children were James DUNCAN who married Ellen MILLAR d 1929 aged 47.  They had
Children: 2 daughters.  The family later moved to 45 Townhead St Kilsyth
      William DUNCAN
      Thomas DUNCAN

John DUNCAN (d 1931 aged 75, 37 Kilsyth Road, Haggs)  who married Jean MILLER
Baillie; Laurie; Gordon/Gorman; Quinn; Erskine; Duncan

Offline Darren1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,

Thank you for all your info some of it I already, however quite a bit of it I did'nt have and have managed to fill a few gaps. I am descended from ELIZABETH DUNCAN B.1881 in Morris Run, Pennsylvania D.1961 in Haggs. What the family story was with ELIZABETH being the only one of the children to be born in the USA was her father WILLIAM set out with family in pursuit of the gold rush. However his wife JANE did not like it out in the USA (reason being think she was a very religious person and with seeing drunkenness, prostitution etc. put her right off!). ELIZABETH later married JOHN MOIR WELSH B.1883 Milton of Campsie D.1981 Falkirk in 1904, they had nine children:
JEANNIE FRASER MOIR WELSH B.1904 d.2000 married WILLIAM BOYD
ELIZABETH (LIZ) DUNCAN WELSH  B.1905 D.1986 married GILBERT MCCALL
MARGARET (MEG) DUNCAN WELSH b.1907 d.1993 married JOHN BELL
ROBERT (RAB) WELSH b.1909 d.1975 married MARY MILNE
WILLIAM DUNCAN WELSH b.1913 d.1945 (killed in action) unmarried
JOHN MOIR WELSH b.1915 d.2002 married FREDA OLSEN
JAMES DUNCAN WELSH B.1917 D.1969 unmarried
MATTHEW WELSH B.1920 D.1990 unmarried
AGNES (NESSIE) DUNCAN WELSH B.1923 D.1983 (MY GRANDMOTHER) married JAMES MCGREGOR.

Hope this is of interest to you. If you would like anymore info please don't hesitate to ask.

Offline helenmcasmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this information.  I have attached the tree from which I am descended (from James second marriage) which might be of use to others searching for the DUNCANs from Denny. 
Baillie; Laurie; Gordon/Gorman; Quinn; Erskine; Duncan

Offline Backdadots

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 December 14 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have information about the Duncan's you have as it turns out James Duncan and Agnes Hannah were my 3x great grandparents. How are you related? I have managed to trace the Duncan family back to 1811 in St. Ninians, Stirlingshire, and with the Hannah family I have traced back to 1711 in Denny. If you like I can Pm you my email and I can send you a copy of the research of the Duncan's?

Hope to speak to you soon!

Darren Ferrier

Offline kirkbairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 December 14 15:40 GMT (UK) »
My wife is a descendant of the Duncans James Duncan who married janet Patterson had a daughter Christina she married William Jeffrey their daughter Christina was my Wifes 3grt grandmother
The U.S.A Duncans line could solve a mystery in the Jeffrey line Catherine Mount nee Jeffrey emigrated to U.S.A as a young widow in early 1900 's with small family and am sure it was around the Pennsylvania area she went
Jim