Author Topic: HUSBAND family tree  (Read 18269 times)

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HUSBAND family tree
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 July 13 22:50 BST (UK) »
According to Black's "The Surnames of Scotland", "Husband" probably corresponded to the English "yeoman" and gives examples of the name Husband being found in Scotland as far back as 1291 at Invernairn, which is quite far north.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 January 15 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I have done some research around this arm of the family, James / Isabella being my x3 grand parents. Happy to share what I know, equally happy to hear of others findings.
Michael
Hi Michael, sorry for the late reply. I would be very interested in finding out what you know about this family.
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline Michael Husband

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 March 16 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Just found this discussion off a Google search and wanted to chime in. There is another branch of the Husband family in the USA mostly in Texas for the past 150 years or so. I currently live in Northern Virginia but am on va action this week to Scotland so if you have any ideas on where and whom to visit I'll try to put them on our list.

Warm regards,

Mike

Offline Neilhrd

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 September 16 08:54 BST (UK) »
If Johnoz (John Gourlay) is still active in this forum then this message is for you.  You say you are connected to William Blyth and his wife Ann (nee Husband) from Logie.  So am I.  Ann Husband, born 18 June 1817 in Logie, was the sister of my 2 x great grandfather George Husband, born 27 July 1823 after the family had moved to Belmiello, Leuchars.  I have some information about Ann's parents, grandparents and siblings but also a lot of gaps.  I would be happy to share if you would care to reply to this site.
Thank you

Neil Hardie

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 September 16 09:03 BST (UK) »
"Husband Name Meaning English: occupational name for a peasant farmer, from Middle English husband ‘tiller of the soil’, ‘husbandman’. The term (late Old English husbonda, Old Norse húsbóndi), a compound of hús ‘house’ + bóndi (see Bond) originally described a man who was head of his own household, and this may have been the sense in some of the earliest examples of the surname."

I'm assuming too that the term "animal husbandry" likely came from the name Husband -meaning farmer.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 September 16 09:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Neil.

As per RC policy you are unable to put your email address on the site. You can remove it my clicking on the 'Modify' button.

If you make 3 posts you can use the personal message system to contact others on the site.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline AminaZ

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am searching for any information on my Great Grandfather James Husband (born between 1820-1840)
He married my Great Grandmother Elizabeth Gibney around 1890 in Co. Meath Ireland.
My family has been told that James was Scottish and census records have shown that he was a soldier. My family have also been told that James was previously married in Scotland before emigrating (and an alleged bigamist)
No one in my family can find any records of James before he moved to Ireland
I would love to find out more about him
Many thanks

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am searching for any information on my Great Grandfather James Husband (born between 1820-1840)
He married my Great Grandmother Elizabeth Gibney around 1890 in Co. Meath Ireland.

Hmm, Amina, (Welcome to Rootschat)  ;)

The dates you give are a bit questionable.

Born 1820 - 1840 married 1890 between the ages of 50 & 70 yrs old then had a family?

Can you supply all the info. from the marriage please?

Age, occupation, father's name, father's occupation?

Does it state whether single/widowed/divorced?

How old was Elizabeth when she married James?

How many children did they have & can you give them by name in order please as this can help with the scottish naming pattern?

Annie

Added, This query may be best on a new thread as there is no indication of a connection with original poster at present?

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 22:21 GMT (UK) »
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie lists the marriage of James Husban (without the 'd') to Elizabeth Gibney on 10 January 1884 in Oldcastle, Co Meath. He was a soldier, aged 40, son of James Husban, painter. She was 33, daughter of Richard Gibney, labourer.

They had sons John, born 26 September 1885; Richard, born 1 September 1890; Peter, born 27 June 1894.

The family is in the 1901 census of Ireland at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie
James Husband, 60, army pensioner and agricultural labourer; wife Elizabeth Husband, 50; son John Husband, 14; son Richard Husband, 11; son Peter Husband, 7, all born in County Meath.

In 1911 they are still there, in Baltrasna, Killeagh, Co Meath; James, 84; Elizabeth, 65; John, 18; Richard, 16; John, 14, all born Co Meath. Obviously the ages in the census are wrong but the rest looks OK.

James died on 17 January and and Elizabeth on 22 December the same year, 1919.

You can and should look at all these images online to confirm the information and extract any additional details from the certificates and census.

You will need to get hold of his Army records to find out where he enlisted and where he served in order to get some idea of whether he could have married in Scotland. Someone else on RootsChat may be able to find them for you - I don't have the necessary subscriptions.

There are half a dozen marriages of James Husbands on Scotland's People (SP) at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. You can check the names of the parents of all these James Husbands at SP, and you can look for death certificates which, unlike the Irish ones, will tell you the names of their parents, so you may be able to eliminate some of them. The marriage certificates should also tell you their occupations.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.