Author Topic: HUSBAND family tree  (Read 18270 times)

Offline elliekats

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HUSBAND family tree
« on: Sunday 10 October 10 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am searching for any information on the surname of Husband:
My many times GGGF was John Husband (not sure of dates) and we believe he married Jannet Black.  They had a son John Husband b.1708) in Fife Scotland(?).  He married Ann Hay(B. June 1714). Had a son - (and possibly other children) William who married Elizabeth Bisset. William and Elizabeth had a son - Robert Husband (B. 1783 Fife Scotland, D.1855) and I think also had Catherine (B. 1778 and John B.1780 - but not 100% sure). Robert had a son - Blair Henderson Husband (B.1833 Scotland). Blair had a son - Robert Alexander Husband (B. 1869 in either Fife or Ireland) and D. 1944 in Homebush Sydney Australia). Robert Alexander had three sons (Kenneth Ernest lane husband who is my grandfather (B. 1907 in Petersham Sydney Australia and d. 1988), Jeppy and Arthur) and four daughters- Mimmy, Ira, Gertrude and Illma. Kenneth Ernest Lane Husband had my Dad Kenneth William who then had me and my brother Brett.

It appears that Blair came to Australia to establish a canning works for a company he worked for.   His wife followed him and they settled in McLean NSW Australia. 

I would like to find out if the family tree extends further back.  And am curious as to why - when the surname is so obviously of English origins - the family came from Fife Scotland - as Husband is not of Scottish clan orgins.   I must confess my ignorance here n regards to the history - daresay there is a reason? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Emma

Offline Johnoz

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HUSBAND family tree
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 October 10 04:36 BST (UK) »
Dear Elliekats

I can help you with some of this. John H and Ann Hay were my 5th great grandparents and I know whose John's parents were.

I have Blair b1835 in my tree, but no descendants for him. He and his siblings were all born at Ferry Port on Craig, Fife.

John's father David started life at Leuchars, Fife. As far as I know, Husband is a fairly common Scottish name.

I will send you a descendants report starting with David as a personal email.

John Gourlay
Melbourne, Australia
SCT-Bissett, Black, Bowar, Cameron, Carstairs, Crighton, Dewar, Fleeming, Forbes, Gourlay, Graham, Hay, Henderson, Higs, Husband, Laurence, McIntosh, Meffan, Meiklejohn, Millar, Patterson, Petrie, Ramsay, Robertson, Sands, Sinclair, Smith, Steven, Thomson, Urquhart, Wishart.  ENG-Butler, Cooke, Coster, Edwards, Harris, Kent, Woodcock, Wyatt.

Offline elliekats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 October 10 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hello John,   thanks so much for your reply.   I have the rest of the family tree - but its at work and I was only relying on memory.  One of my Dad's Cousins is currently doing indepth study of the family (Ron) and has been visiting Mclean in NSW  and found Blair's Headstone.   

Its curious that you mention that the surname Husband is a common Scottish name....but I can't find any mention of it when I look for scottish clan names.   Do we have a tartan?

Emma

Offline Johnoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 October 10 04:50 BST (UK) »
No tartan that I'm aware of. Neither have the Gourlays or many other now common Scottish names. Gourlay for instance is most likely a Norman name, that goes back to 12th century Scotland.

I'm sure there are many on this site that can explain the clans far better than me. I gave up, but I think it basically goes back in antiquity and the original natives.

regards
John g
SCT-Bissett, Black, Bowar, Cameron, Carstairs, Crighton, Dewar, Fleeming, Forbes, Gourlay, Graham, Hay, Henderson, Higs, Husband, Laurence, McIntosh, Meffan, Meiklejohn, Millar, Patterson, Petrie, Ramsay, Robertson, Sands, Sinclair, Smith, Steven, Thomson, Urquhart, Wishart.  ENG-Butler, Cooke, Coster, Edwards, Harris, Kent, Woodcock, Wyatt.

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 20:14 BST (UK) »
Do you have a Robert Blyth Husband born 21 Jan 1839in Windygates, Fife, to James Husband and Isabella Blyth? He married Isabella Kinnes and had at least nine children.
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 20:36 BST (UK) »
Emma there are 10 times more records in England than Scotland for the surname Husband on the 1841 census so I would say the origins are English. Maybe they were soldiers stationed in Scotland after the 1745 rebellion.

Clans are a highlands phenomenon and the tartans that we associate with family names today have their origins in the early 1800s when tartan started to be produced commercially.

Offline Johnoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 October 10 06:41 BST (UK) »
Dear Ostler

I'm travelling at the moment and consequently on a remote computer. I can pick up my GenesReunited tree but couldn't find them. It sounded very familiar to me.

I did however find one Husband Blyth connection in my family and that is a William Blyth b Logie 1822 married to Ann Husband also b Logie 1817. They had 6 children that I know of.

regards
John Gourlay

Offline elliekats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 November 10 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sancti,

thank you for your reply.   John has kindly given me a copy of the Husband FT and it goes back so far to David Husband born c1645 in Leuchars, Fife, Scotland.  David married Agnes HENDERSON and they were married c1667 in Leuchars, Fife, Scotland.  Agnes HENDERSON was born c1649 in Leuchars, Fife, Scotland.   So it appears the Husband name was there at least 1649 - before the rebellion. 

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards
Emma

Offline mmaciocia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 July 13 11:16 BST (UK) »
Do you have a Robert Blyth Husband born 21 Jan 1839in Windygates, Fife, to James Husband and Isabella Blyth? He married Isabella Kinnes and had at least nine children.

I have done some research around this arm of the family, James / Isabella being my x3 grand parents. Happy to share what I know, equally happy to hear of others findings.
Michael