Author Topic: Cornelius TULLY  (Read 10606 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Cornelius TULLY
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 December 10 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I love a scandal, so much more interesting and not as uncommon as we're often led to believe!

Problem with Sarah Parvant's burial is that it could be in Norfolk or London, I don't know when Britiffe moved down there and as its pr-1837 there will be only a burial with limited information.  Do you happen to know when Thomas Crees died at all?

(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 December 10 07:25 GMT (UK) »
I have found a death in 1826 in Greenwich Hospital of a Cornelius and it looks like Tully but it is very blured (the name), he was age 41 yrs born 1785.
If you look on Ancestry uk in London deaths and just put in Cornelius it should come up, it does look like Tully.
Hope this helps.
trish

Offline mvmag

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 02:55 GMT (UK) »
It does look like Tully, doesn't it? A recent find is of a  Cornelius Tully being discharged from the King's Royal Light Dragoons in 1817-1818, but I find it difficult to believe this is "our" Cornelius as the papers show a man who was  a "Private" and illiterate.

Offline topcat126

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at the Greenwich Hospital entry for Cornelius, and would consider the entry to be doubtful as a Tully. If you check the other entries, T's appear to have a twirl in front of them which this smudged entry does not appear to have. My other concern is the Greenwich Hospital is for sailors, much like the Chelsea Hospital for soldiers, and I am not aware of Cornelius having any naval connections.

Stan

Offline mvmag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 20:03 GMT (UK) »
I thought the same re Greenwich Hospital. Thanks

Offline topcat126

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 20:53 GMT (UK) »
The only other reason I could think of him being there is working at the hospital, it has been said in earlier posts that he was a surgeon.
What evidence is there of him being a surgeon? That was a rumour that I was told when I started to look at the family, but have not managed to confirm.

Stan

Offline mvmag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 00:16 GMT (UK) »
No one has managed to confirm. Family docs indicate him as such. In addition, the baptismal and marriage certificates of Thomas Dominique Tully say Cornelius was an Army surgeon. Also shows as such on "lying in" cert of Caroline Crees who was expecting a child or children by him in 1822. Family historians since the 19th century have been searching for validation. Possibly the Wellcome Library in London would have something, but so far no luck. He did come from a "good" family with newspaper publishers, lawyers, landowners etc. so it seems plausible.

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Cornelius P. Tully married Caroline Crees 9th Nov 1816, Parish - Charles
Town - Plymouth, County -  Devon, May be the parish record of their marriage might give some light on to his profession, some times the Parish vicar puts the Trade or the regiment he is in on the certificate.
Is there any one who could look the Parish record up?

Trish

Offline Carolina47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Britiffe FARTHING (was Cornelius TULLY)
« Reply #17 on: Friday 31 December 10 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just found your discussion re Britiffe Farthing & his wife Sarah - her maiden name was Parrant, granddaughter of Absalom Parrant, brandy merchant of Foulsham, Norfolk.  I have lots of information on the Parrant family but haven't got a death date for Sarah.  I'm a descendant of Sarah Parrant's youngest sister, Martha. 
Regards,
Caroline