Author Topic: re Catherine McLennan,Knockbain  (Read 2959 times)

Offline rhodamackenzie1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: re Catherine McLennan,Knockbain
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 March 17 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
Sorry for the delay. Her parents are John Johnston, sailor (1800-1866, drowned at sea) mother Margaret macgregor (1803-1876) witnesses Alexander Johnston and James MacDonald.
Married at Petty near Inverness, she is 35, from Charleston, knockbain. She had an illegitimate daughter born at pluscarden before she met John.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 April 17 01:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rhoda,

I forgot to ask the same questions on William MacDonald?

Is it possible that William's father was married twice?

Have you found them both on any census' prior to marriage?

From the witnesses, could James MacDonald be a brother of William?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline rhodamackenzie1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 April 17 23:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry Annie, just back from holiday. William's parents are William Macdonald and the mother's first name has been scored out then rewritten and is very hard to decipher, most likely to be jean grant. On William junior's death entry mother is,given as Margaret Mackenzie. Unfortunately there are wm macD marriages to women with both these names around the same time in the right place and I am stumped. I have Catherine in every census but not William before his marriage.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 April 17 00:32 BST (UK) »
The problem is that on family search is gives the children's parents as John Fraser and Catherine Johnston, which is not correct.

Catherine Johnston was my gt gt grandmother and she married William MacDonald in 1869.
The births mentioned by Carole on the 1861 census are prior to Catherine Johnston marrying William MacDonald.

Is it possible Catherine Johnston was married a 2nd time when she married William MacDonald?

Her death cert. should contain that info. if the informant knew that?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 April 17 00:55 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the birth of Catherine McLennan  b about 1831/33 in Knockbain, also her marriage to John Fraser about 1850.

Living in Knockbain 1861/1891

I have been going over this thread again but highly confused with all the names floating around with no real proof of anything?

The children on the 1861 census, some were born after 1855 i.e. a BC from SP will give the names of both parents with mother's maiden name, date & place of marriage.

The marriage on IGI is far later than this & quite possibly either the wrong couple or they were not married when the children were born?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYQ2-TQV

John Fraser
Spouse Catherine Maclennan
Married 19 Dec 1873
Urray,Ross And Cromarty,Scotland

This marriage will give both their ages, both their parents names & both mother's maiden names as well as witnesses.

This can only be obtained from SP to find out where the info. is wrong/different etc.

Following IGI births/marriages with no real info. or census transcriptions is not going to give you the facts you need.

Annie