Author Topic: Zulu War  (Read 3442 times)

Offline nannyp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Zulu War
« on: Tuesday 12 October 10 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Can anyone help me tie the Henry Weatherhead who died on 22.1.1879 at Isandhlwana with my ancestor, Henry Weatherhead born 1840 in Marylebone to Thomas and Ann Maria.  I have him, I think,  on the 1861 census, along with his brother Arthur, shown as an inmate at Chatham Barracks.  The regiment was 1st Battalion 24th Regiment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nannyp :)

Offline John Young

• RootsChat Senior
  • Isandlwana - The Hill of the Sphinx
    • View Profile
Re: Zulu War
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 11:36 BST (UK) »
Nannyp,

I'll check what information I have this afternoon, when I'm back with my books & research notes.

Isandlwana
...Neither praise nor blame add to their epitaph but like it be simple as that which marked Thermopylae.
Tell it in England those that pass us by, here, faithful to their charge, her soldiers lie.

Offline John Young

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
Nannyp.,

Private 1st Batt./24th Regiment/489 Henry Wetherhead, although named as Weatherhead on other documents.  Attested on 28th July 1859, aged 19 years, which obviously fits with your 1840 date of birth.

He re-engaged for further service on the Island of Malta on 10th December 1867.  He was recommended for the Long Service & Good Conduct Medal on 1st October 1877.

He appears on the Medal Roll as Pte. 489 H. Wetherhead, and was entitled to the bar '1879'.

His effects were listed for claim.

He appears as in The London Gazette of 15th March 1879 as Lance-Corp., Wheatherhead, H. in the list of casualties killed at Isandlwana, 22nd January 1879.

I hope that's of some use?

Isandlwana
...Neither praise nor blame add to their epitaph but like it be simple as that which marked Thermopylae.
Tell it in England those that pass us by, here, faithful to their charge, her soldiers lie.

Offline nannyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you so much for that information.  I think it's fair to assume that they are one and the same.  Is it possible for me to look up his attestation on any records and can I find out if his effects were claimed?
Once again many thanks. 

Nannyp

Offline John Young

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 18:09 BST (UK) »
Nannyp.

You could try the Museum of the Royal Welsh at Brecon.

They have a web link http://www.rrw.org.uk/family/index.htm

I know the Curator there has done a great deal of research into the casualties at Isandlwana, they might be able to assist.

You could also try the WO 16 Pay & Muster Roll for the 1st/24th at The National Archives.  Although the one was lost at Isandlwana, the subsequent roll includes some entries relating to Isandlwana casualties and in some cases lists the Next of Kin's names & addresses.

Isandlwana

Offline nannyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi.
thanks again, will certainly try.

Regards,
Nannyp

Offline gmarley94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi nannyp,

Henry Weatherhead was one of my GtGt Grandfathers, what's your connection?, I have a photo and quite a bit of information about the 'Marylebone Weatherheads' if you're interested.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Nannyp has not been on since November. If you post twice more you will be able to send them a personal message.

Ken

Offline harrietthorpejones

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
HI everyone!!!

So amazed I discovered this conversation. I have recently been creating my family tree and have found Henry Weatherhead to be my 3rd great-grandfather...I couldn't help but notice you said you  where related and that you had a picture and more details!! not sure how long ago this was posted, but if anyone could help me I would be profoundly happy, especially if it turns out where family! would be fantastic to exchange info.

Harriet