Author Topic: Men of Wiltshire serving in the Wiltshire Regiment during the Boer War  (Read 36275 times)

Offline Ians1900

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Men of Wiltshire serving in the Wiltshire Regiment during the Boer War
« on: Tuesday 12 October 10 19:18 BST (UK) »
If anyone reading this is descended from a Wiltshire born man who served in the Wiltshire Regiment during the Boer War, I would like to hear from you.

I am researching for and writing a book about the 2nd Battalion Wiltshire Regiment during the Boer War and would welcome any new information.  Perhaps you know a story that has been told to your family?  Perhaps you have a photograph?  Perhaps I can provide missing pieces of your own family puzzle, as I know a great deal about the Regiment?

Thank you

Ian
Smith - Sileby + Coleorton, Leicestershire.
Chamberlain - Sileby, Leicestershire.
Heath - Coleorton, Thringstone + Coalville, Leicestershire.

Offline Local Studies, Swindon Libraries

• RootsChat Extra
  • Local Studies at Swindon Central Library
    • View Profile
Re: Men of Wiltshire serving in the Wiltshire Regiment during the Boer War
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 October 10 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,

We would be very interested in you book when it is published - please don't forget to let us know when it is available.
These photos from our gallery might be of interest:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/4594968482/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/3697897820/
Another from this set recently came up on eBay.

Gallery link: www.flickr.com/swindonlocal

We guess you know about the Boer memorial in Radnor Street Cemetery, Swindon?

Best wishes,
Swindon Collection
Central Library
www.swindon.gov.uk/swindoncollection
Bishopstone, Blunsdon St. Andrew, Broad Blunsdon, Chiseldon, Cricklade, Hannington, Highworth, Inglesham, Kingsdown, Liddington, Lydiard Tregoze and Lydiard Millicent, Purton, Rodbourne Cheney, South Marston, Stanton Fitzwarren, Stratton St. Margaret, Swindon (Old & New), Wanborough, Wootton Bassett, Wroughton,

Offline Ians1900

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 October 10 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you for you reply.  I hadn't seen the first image and I haven't seen the War Memorial either.  I don't live in Wilsthire and have not looked at memorials except the one in Salisbury Cathedral when I visited the Wardrobe Museum.  Can you possibly tell me what the memorial says?

Of possible interest to you:
The Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette published an article on February 22 1900 about the disaster at Rensburg, Cape Colony, when D and G Companies of the Wiltshire Regiment were surrounded and had many killed, wounded and taken prisoner, my Great Grandfather was amongst the prisoners, who were held at Watervaal in the Transvaal.

The newspaper article published the names of a few casualties one being: 5308 Private F.J. Butler who lived at 3, Villet Street, Swindon.  If you or anyone knows anything about this man or his family, I should like to know.

I am hoping to finish writing my book by the end of the year and hope to have it published soon after.  During the many years I have spent conducting research, I have discovered a lot of information about the Regiment and can possibly answer many questions of a Boer War nature, especially regarding the Wiltshire Regiment.

Regards

Ian

Offline Maiwand

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 October 10 11:06 BST (UK) »
Ian

I,m not sure if we have met or not, but I am a volunteer at the Wardrobe as a volunteer. I mainly concentrate on images which eventually go on the Museum Website (Soon to be upgraded). I have over the past 18 months placed into the system images from the Boer War that relate to the Regiment. In the archives are two scrap books that contain many newspaper clippings from the time, loads of lists and importantly copies of letters from soldiers serving which the relatives released to the press.  If you haven't seen these, I would advise you to do so if you are aming at a book.

Hope that Helps
Cheers

MAC

Offline Ians1900

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 October 10 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Mac,

Yes we have met, many years ago now.  My book is almost finished, but I did not know about the letters at the Wardrobe; I thought I had seen everything, but obviously not.  I shall have to pay you another visit.

Kind regards

Ian

Offline agc1875

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have been passed a discharge paper and a medal for my great grandfather who was enlisted on 10/5/1897 and dicsharged on 9/5/02 from the Wilts Rgt. serving in South Africa and St. Helena. Where do you suggest I find out more? His medal has bars on it for Wiittenbergen, Transvaal and Cape Colony. I don't know anything else about him.

Thanks,

Andy

Offline Ians1900

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 November 11 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Give me his details and I will see if I can help you.

Regards

Ian

Offline agc1875

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 November 11 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Give me his details and I will see if I can help you.

Regards

Ian
Hello,

I have been passed a discharge paper and a medal for my great grandfather who was enlisted on 10/5/1897 and dicsharged on 9/5/02 from the Wilts Rgt. serving in South Africa and St. Helena. Where do you suggest I find out more? His medal has bars on it for Wiittenbergen, Transvaal and Cape Colony. I don't know anything else about him.

Thanks,

Andy

Offline agc1875

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 November 11 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian and thanks for your reply.

His name is John ASHER and he must have been born 1879 or 1880 as he was shown as 29 1/5 on 9 5 1902. He seems to have been discharged from 3rd Bttn. Wiltshires in Devizes as a private with his civvy occupation listed as 'groom'. The discharge letter is addressed to Thruxton near Andover but I can't say if this is the original envelope.

Thanks for you help and interest.

Andy.