Author Topic: Men of Wiltshire serving in the Wiltshire Regiment during the Boer War  (Read 36217 times)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Men of Wiltshire serving in the Wiltshire Regiment during the Boer War
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 08:59 BST (UK) »
Just out of curiosity,,what exactly does the inscription say?  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scottie79

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 18 October 12 21:38 BST (UK) »
Am searching for a Henry James Smart b.c.1867 in Marden, Wiltshire.  He is listed in the 1911 census as being and Army Pensioner (as well as a Commercial Clerk for a dairy company) and living in Devizes although in 1881 as a 14-yr old he is listed as a labourer.  I understand from an old family tree that he was known as Jim so he may possibly have been James Henry rather than Henry James??  I also believe he was married to Gertrude (surname unknown).

I have no idea where he served but I have found a Private H J Smart serving in the 2nd Battalion of the Wiltshire Regiment in South Africa and listed for clasps for Wittenbergen, Cape Colony & Transvaal.  His regimental number is 6619.  The medal entitlement document I found also states in the remarks column "Special Services Company to England 10/04/1901".

I would love to find out if the above army records are his and, if so, how to find out more about what he did in South Africa and why he might have decided to join up.

Hoping someone can help!  Thanks.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 20 October 12 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you reread 1911 then you will see where the 2 eldest children were born.
He probably served there?

1911 also confirms your belief about Gertrude.

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline electrosignal

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 20 December 13 23:02 GMT (UK) »
I am researching 2576 Henry Hale (my great great grandfather) he joined 2nd batt wilts regt 06/07/1889 and served in india, burma and south Africa earning QSA cape colony clasp and KSA with bar and clasps 1901-1902. I believe he completed 21 years service and received a chelsea pension as an out pensioner I assume. Would really like any photographs, accounts or diaries, newspaper articles etc that might give me any more info on him. Also would like to know what company he was in and if he was involved in the rensburg disaster orange river?

Offline Ians1900

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 13:15 GMT (UK) »
2576 Pre Henry Hale actually received three clasps to his Queen's South Africa Medal: Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal.

Unfortunately he is not mentioned by name in any reference material and therefore, so far cannot identify his Company.  I can however confirm that he was not a member of D or G Companies involved in the Rensburg disaster.

My book covers the Regiments activities in South Africa; I hope to publish next year.

regards

Ian
Smith - Sileby + Coleorton, Leicestershire.
Chamberlain - Sileby, Leicestershire.
Heath - Coleorton, Thringstone + Coalville, Leicestershire.

Offline rick49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian.
Hoping you are able to help with info on my G.Grandfather James Pratten (b. abt 1869) from Bradford on Avon, who served with the 2nd Wiltshire Regiment. A Wiltshire times newspaper article in April 1944 relating to their Golden wedding anniversary. stated he was a member of the Regular Army firstly serving in India then at the outbreak of Boer War  was sent to Africa serving under General Clements.
I notice that you have been writing a book & hope that it is now on the shelves.

Regards
Rick

Offline Ians1900

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Rick,

Unfortunately I will have to wait to have my book published,  as I happened to finish it just as the literary world focused on the centenary of WW1.

Anyway,  I will have a look at my reference material and see what I can tell you, just give me a few days please.

It sounds like his service mirrored that of my own Great Grandfather's,  so I know I should be able to tell you quite a bit.

Please private message me your email address.

Regards

Ian
Smith - Sileby + Coleorton, Leicestershire.
Chamberlain - Sileby, Leicestershire.
Heath - Coleorton, Thringstone + Coalville, Leicestershire.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,

New users are unable to send private messages until they have made at least 2 posts.

Hi Rick,

Welcome to RootsChat, you clicked on the "report to moderator button" and your message came through to me  ;) To reply to this message just click on the blue reply button on the right.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 30 December 17 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ian
I don't know if this topic is still live but I post in case.  I am interested in learning more on a William Fear born c.1871, Warminster, Wiltshire and I wondered if you could help.     I found the following William Fear, 3rd Militia Battalion, Wiltshire Regiment, 1889-01-25 on the website http://www.thewardrobe.org.uk.  (the name, age and place of birth fits) I would appreciate any help locating information.
Kind Regards D:
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk